Marine Abrams rear thingy
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Marine Abrams rear thingy Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:19 pm
    ----
Well, would you look what I found! Something new for you to add to your plain-Jane Abrams mod.
I discovered this picture of a Marine Abrams in Iraq (taken about mid last year?) with what looks like a deep wading kit attached to the back! I don't recall ever seeing one of those before. Als note the big black tube stowed on the turret roof - no doubt an extension for that thingy.

Someday someone's going to have to write a book on "Things they've stuck on the tail end of an Abrams" Wink

#2: Re: Marine Abrams rear thingy Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:54 pm
    ----
Mike

I could probably add a couple of 'field modified' dutch oven photos for you,.....

A tanker loves hot coffee, hot chow, and occassionally some fresh 'jiffy pop' popcorn to survive on.

Don

#3: Re: Marine Abrams rear thingy Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:07 pm
    ----
The Abrams needs a Dutch oven? And I though they could just put a pot onto the engine deck over the turbines! Mr. Green

#4: Re: Marine Abrams rear thingy Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:30 pm
    ----
I don't know about "deep" - you'd still have to provide a kit for the air intake for anything over 3 feet deep...

I can't wait till someone makes a DD Abrams. That'll be sweet.

#5: Re: Marine Abrams rear thingy Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:43 pm
    ----
Hi Mike! Hi Folks!

Thanks for the neat photo!

- mike_Duplessis

I discovered this picture of a Marine Abrams in Iraq (taken about mid last year?)

Someday someone's going to have to write a book on "Things they've stuck on the tail end of an Abrams" Wink

How about that box between the right rear tail light and the engine grills?
Could that be a infantry phone?

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#6: Re: Marine Abrams rear thingy Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:51 pm
    ----
Roy

The USMC has had the infantry phones, but only has used them fairly recently (Iraq).

The 'TUSK' includes the infantry phone.

Mike:

The 'dutch oven' is an additional 'fold-down' center grill (or ammo can lid) that one can sit items to heat up. Such as coffee pot, MRE's, bake potatos, or even pop corn.

Don

#7: Re: Marine Abrams rear thingy Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:40 pm
    ----
Good catch on the Inf phone. I knew there was something else that distinguished a Marine Abrams from an Army but I couldn't recall.
Another thing you don't see all tht often, the smoke dischargers on the turret front are all loaded.

#8: Re: Marine Abrams rear thingy Author: Burik PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:26 pm
    ----
Other items that denote a Marine Abrams are the smoke discharger set-up. It is different than the Army one. And the Marines have a "Dazzler" over the manhole cover. It is supposed to cause problems for incoming missiles. It is a square looking box with a gold looking glass front.

This Marine tank also sports the Marine Extended Bustle rack, which is different than what the 2nd Bde of the 3rd ID came up with. I understand that many Army units adopted the Marine one nowadays.

My co-author who was in the 3rd ID did not have a Dutch Oven set-up on his tank, but instead he put an inverter in a .50 cal ammo box and bolted that to the right rear mudflap, and then ran wires to the right tailight for power. That way he could have his coffee anytime he wanted. He also bolted a couple of boxes to the roof of his turret, ontop of the electrical conduits, so he could use them to store maps and extra markers and such (he was the platoon sgt).

#9: Re: Marine Abrams rear thingy Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:48 pm
    ----
- mike_Duplessis
Well, would you look what I found! Something new for you to add to your plain-Jane Abrams mod.
I discovered this picture of a Marine Abrams in Iraq (taken about mid last year?) with what looks like a deep wading kit attached to the back! I don't recall ever seeing one of those before. Als note the big black tube stowed on the turret roof - no doubt an extension for that thingy.

DML included the deep water fording kit on their USMC M1A1 (#3531) they released over 10 years ago. It is still included in the latest DML OIF USMC M1A1 kit that came out about 3 years ago.

#10: Re: Marine Abrams rear thingy Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:37 am
    ----
I guess if you put a grill over the outlet then you'd have a nice little stove. You could even barbeque hot dogs on it. With very little imagination the JP-8 would simply taste like charcoal lighter. (Which is pretty close to what it is.)

On a different subject, I've been detailed to a job at the motor pool fuel station. So I get to refuel all the stuff the 16th Cav uses. I enjoy getting time to talk with the soldiers. These are great bunch of troops and I am both proud of them and grateful.

SABOT-Drop by sometime if you're in the neighborhood. Bldg 2979, St John's Motor Park. Bring a HUMVEE and I'll give you a 'free' fill up!

#11: Re: Marine Abrams rear thingy Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:15 am
    ----
- Burik
And the Marines have a "Dazzler" over the manhole cover. It is supposed to cause problems for incoming missiles. It is a square looking box with a gold looking glass front.

These are very rare....

Cool

#12: Re: Marine Abrams rear thingy Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:59 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

- JimWeb
- Burik
And the Marines have a "Dazzler" over the manhole cover. It is supposed to cause problems for incoming missiles. It is a square looking box with a gold looking glass front.

These are very rare....
Cool

Rare?
I think those are high dollar items that are easy to get damaged. I would guess that unless there is a threat, the Dazzler is kept in storage rather that mounted on every Marine tank.

My 2 cents,
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#13: Re: Marine Abrams rear thingy Author: Burik PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:32 pm
    ----
The Dazzler may very well not be on Marine tanks today, but in the invasion and for a good period afterwards they were. Yes, it would make sense that they be pulled off now since there is little threat from missiles. I understand it's effectiveness is debatable, which is why the Army did not adopt it.

-> AFV News Discussion Board