Another reason I can't stand Dell.
-> Hardware

#1: Another reason I can't stand Dell. Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:11 am
    ----
Dell laptop explodes at Japanese conference

Wednesday 21 June 2006, 13:22

AN INQUIRER READER attending a conference in Japan was sat just feet away from a laptop computer that suddenly exploded into flames, in what could have been a deadly accident.

Gaston, our astonished reader reports: "The damn thing was on fire and produced several explosions for more than five minutes".

Should you witness such an event, his advice is, "Don't try anything courageous/stupid, stay away, away, away!"

"For the record, this is a Dell machine," notes Gaston. "It is only a matter of time until such an incident breaks out on a plane," he suggests.

Our witness managed to catch all the action in these amazing pictures.

"Fire extinguishers leave a mess on your suit and belongings; pack your stuff (if you can) and leave, leave, leave!" he advises.

We don't have any further details of the model of the computer in question. In light of the evidence, however, we'd suggest you avoid actually using a laptop on your lap. Ouch.

[Photo's on linked page]

Moral:- BUILD YOUR OWN !!!
Don't buy a Dell - There are so many other reasons besides this.

#2: Re: Another reason I can't stand Dell. Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:27 am
    ----
LOL Shades...

In light of the evidence, however, we'd suggest you avoid actually using a laptop on your lap.

ROFLMAO

#3: Re: Another reason I can't stand Dell. Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:16 pm
    ----
Oh cr*p

My laptops a Dell...and I use it on my lap quite often.

Gonna wrap me legs in silver paper from now on...lol, gonna play havock with the fit of me spandex leggins.

#4: Re: Another reason I can't stand Dell. Author: IMS_Dakota PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:04 pm
    ----
We've been running into similar problems in the RC world. With the more frequent use of lithium polymer and lithium ion batteries. Improper charging and physical damage to the batteries can cause them to explode.

And of course those are the same batteries that are beind used in most cell phones and lap tops now.

Here is a link to a document with more info:
www.amadistrictii.org/...YALERT.pdf

#5: Re: Another reason I can't stand Dell. Author: JG300-1BulletLocation: Odessa, Texas PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:09 pm
    ----
Dang not only can you loose the family jewels you can lose your big ole hairy ears too................. Shocked

#6: Re: Another reason I can't stand Dell. Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:58 pm
    ----
- JG300-1Bullet
Dang not only can you loose the family jewels you can lose your big ole hairy ears too................. Shocked

ROFLMAO...

Hmm, and if you're on the cell phone and surfin' the net at the same time, the choices we'll have to make...lol

-> Hardware