7/7
-> Officer's Club

#1: 7/7 Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:55 am
    ----
I was in London at the time of the bombings last July 7th. Fortunately I wasn't near the involved areas and was almost oblivious to it until I tried to leave. The bus driver said that his would be the last bus operating that route out of London that day and that, if he hurried to my station, I might just be in time to catch the last train out as well (I was).

This morning (a year later, to the minute) I returned to where I was, with the people I was with, doing what we were doing, when it happened.

At 12:00 midday, there was a 2 minute silence to reflect on the event and to honour those innocent victims who were murdered, maimed, or otherwise injured, and their friends and family.

It still puzzles me that the perpetrators of this crime could include such highly educated people. The university degree qualifications, that they worked so hard to earn, for so long, lead them to conclude that uneducated people were better qualified to say how they should lead their lives or, in this case, end them.
They have left behind followers, similarly educated, who now revere their 'sacrifice'. People who put no value on the lives of the unknowing and innocent people they attacked.

I wasn't lucky enough to acquire this sort of education:-
I'm only dumb enough to revere one of the brave survivors of the Kings Cross bombing; An Aussie called Gill Hicks.

Gill lost both her legs and died on July 7th 2005, after losing six (of her body's eight) pints of blood before she reached the hospital, despite making and applying her own tourniquet in the train wreckage, in near darkness. She was the last person to be brought out alive.
Miraculously, Gill was revived at the hospital and managed to survive the bombing, having both legs amuptated, and being in a coma. Today she's coping with her life and injuries with the aid of her family. She married her partner, Joe Kerr, last December.

If anyone needs inspiration they should see and hear Gill talk about her life since the evening of the day before, 7/7.

#2: Re: 7/7 Author: sweets PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:34 pm
    ----
awesome story of one so courageous thank you so much Shades! Wink

#3: Re: 7/7 Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:36 pm
    ----
Ur welcome hon.

Her office called her (then) partner and told him she hadn't come in to work and, because of the situation all over London he pretty much knew that meant she was caught up in it and was either injured or dead.

At 21:00 hrs the doorbell rang and he didn't need to open the door. He knew it was the Police. They rushed him to her bedside but, at that time, they thought they were simply trying to unite them one last time before she died. Nobody expected her to survive.

Amazing woman.

-> Officer's Club