"Phu Bai Redux" is ready for testing....
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next  :| |:
-> FS2004

#16: Re: "Phu Bai Redux" is ready for testing.... Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:06 pm
    ----
Should I be putting the tree's somewhere other than the Phu Bai folder they are in?

Re-downloaded the file from the CC server, maybe I got the old one before the new one was ready.

#17: Re: "Phu Bai Redux" is ready for testing.... Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:22 pm
    ----
never mind. I take it you actually need the "Trees" update installed.

I found it in my DL folder and re-installed and it works.

#18: Re: "Phu Bai Redux" is ready for testing.... Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:02 pm
    ----
Looks Excellent Ascout!

So far no probs detected...............well, with the exception of this guy shading a skid.

#19: Re: "Phu Bai Redux" is ready for testing.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:32 pm
    ----
OK Hints please.....these trees come from where? Are they the "Gerrish Grey's trees" I remember from a while back?

#20: Re: "Phu Bai Redux" is ready for testing.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:40 pm
    ----
- JG300-fr8ycat

OK, reports coming in here and privately (and the pics) suggest that:

1: Fr8ycat has the api's but not the textures for Gerrish's trees. Those white boxes are all where trees are. Since no one else sees this, it must mean you have Gerrish's "Trees" installed, probably in your FS9 tex files....OR...

2. Some of you have the FS9 environmental pack installed...your ground looks a bit different from mine (I don't have it). BUT, as you have the trees, maybe the "Trees" was part of the Environmental Pack (isn't this Fled's? Maybe he can confirm that).

3. Wingnut reported the guy on the tower and the C130 were both "floating", as in, too high. I have checked it with and without Baptistes' mesh and (to my amazement) neither floated in stock scenery (which is about 40' below the mesh level). The guy I understand, but the C130 was 10' in the air, he said. Wingnut, what, if any mesh do you have installed?
Anyone else seen this?

I'd like more pics from around the terminal, the radio research station, and the MACV camp NW of the airfield...all have trees installed...

This is VERY helpful guys. I'm trying to decide if I need to have two uploads available...one for stock, and one for mesh. This also has a bearing on the Hill 180 ridgeline I have installed (isn't needed with mesh).

#21: Re: "Phu Bai Redux" is ready for testing.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:44 pm
    ----
- JG300-fr8ycat
Looks Excellent Ascout!

So far no probs detected...............well, with the exception of this guy shading a skid.

Gawd, he's handsome! I could almost make a hard left turn and start batting for the other team for that studmuffin! I think I'm in love... Shocked

Good news about the "Trees"...actually, there is a readme for those not included with the gamma version yet.....

Last edited by JG300-Ascout on Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

#22: Re: "Phu Bai Redux" is ready for testing.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:46 pm
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
OK Hints please.....these trees come from where? Are they the "Gerrish Grey's trees" I remember from a while back?

Yes, you should find in the second upload I did today about 12:45...not in the one I emailed you. See Fr8ycat's post. Wink

#23: Re: "Phu Bai Redux" is ready for testing.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:49 pm
    ----
How are your framerates, Guys? I have a low and medium res version of that terminal in additon to the High Res version you have now. I really like the high res, and Al told me it did not make a profound difference on frames to switch....

Be honest, I know there's a hit, but one I can live with on my middle-of-the-road 3 year old system....

#24: Re: "Phu Bai Redux" is ready for testing.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:03 pm
    ----
Also, I see bright white wires on the C130 and Stoopy reported this too. The ones on mine are a subdued realistic color. Stoopy painted this bird for me, but did it 2-3 times, so I'm really puzzled why mine looks different from youse guys. I thought maybe Stoop had the old one installed in the tex files or sumthin', but since Fled is showing it, something isn't coming over. OR, I have the C130 tex files in my FS9 somewheres that overrides the white ones in the upload. This should be fixable with the different tex files. I used that bird in a couple of other sceneries, like Secret Base, but I think it's AF grey in that one.

#25: Re: "Phu Bai Redux" is ready for testing.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:03 pm
    ----
OK I have the new version and now have the same white box-trees that fr8ycat had before installing Gerrish Grey's trees.....I'll search for where I can find them and install. Any chance we can include what's needed to begin with?

I don't have anyone floating in the terminal, the soldier on the upper deck and the local "tour guide" inside the entrance have their feet firmly on the floor. Also the C-130 is on the ramp firmly...hey that's nice camo, who did that? Maybe they can check those white wires....

There's a CH-47 levitating about 30 feet up, but I think it's intentional...just looks a little odd becuase the macro seems to be casting a shadow at wheel level, not on the ground. You only notice it when close up tho.

My FSP average around 15 and dip down into single-digits, but I have pretty much everything cranked up 100%. My max FPS is set to 25 for PROPS racing. I suspect the FPS hits are from a combined hit from many small objects all over and in the distance, my FPS rates don't seem to be impacted by the terminal itself, actually when facing it and hovering, it's surprisingly smooth. On my system, the real "hit" seems to come when viewing all the helos and Skyraiders in the revetments on the north side of the runway.

Frankly, although I can see some people griping, I'm finding so much of interest in this scenery, and it's so unique, I really have no problem with it, all things considered. I've done many many low and slow circuits around it in fr8ycat's OH-6 with no problems setting it down wherever I want to. But those with lower-end systems may find otherwise.

Oh, the second red "El Alamo" hooch is immediately WEST of the Phu Bai terminal building, next to 3 blue hooches and a small tan building....about 100 yards from the terminal.

Last edited by JG300-Stoopy on Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

#26: Re: "Phu Bai Redux" is ready for testing.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:15 pm
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
OK I have the new version and now have the same white box-trees that fr8ycat had before installing Gerrish Grey's trees.....I'll search for where I can find them and install. Any chance we can include what's needed to begin with?

Yes, I did this in my first version years ago and forgot they have to be loaded in separately when I zipped this one up. You're missing the texture files. Easily fixed, I just have to read my own dang readme files again.

I don't have anyone floating in the terminal, the soldier on the upper deck and the local "tour guide" inside have their feet firmly on the floor. Also the C-130 is on the ramp firmly...hey that's nice camo, who did that?

OK, that's good news, did you check with mesh enabled and off? I need feedback on both. So far, only Wingnut reports an anomaly with the guy and the Herc floating. We've seen how different meshs and addons can corrupt stuff like that (from and early test you did for me on Eagle's Nest) so I need to know if it's isolated or if anyone else sees this.

That painter was a shy guy who didn't want to take the blame (errr...credit) for anything he did. Tough nuggies, he'll be in the readme along with his home telephone number.

My FSP average around 15 and dip down into single-digits, but I have pretty much everything cranked up 100%. My max FPS is set to 25 for PROPS racing. I suspect the FPS hits are from a combined hit from many small objects all over and in the distance, my FPS rates don't seem to be impacted by the terminal itself, actually when facing it and hovering, it's surprisingly smooth.

Yes, that's my impression also. I've flown all over, around, and in that terminal and it has almost no frame effects associated with it. I think it's from the "many small objects" dealie. Trust me, if I was obsessive, there'd be about 8 times more buildings in the area or more. I cut it to a minimum. It's a "high end computer" oriented scenery, but I'm loath to take anything else out. I'd have to start with sacrificing the CCN camp, but don't know if it would help that much.

Oh, the second red "El Alamo" hooch is immediately WEST of the Phu Bai terminal building, next to 3 blue hooches and a small tan building....about 100 yards from the terminal.

Already fixed, but not uploaded.

#27: Re: "Phu Bai Redux" is ready for testing.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:19 pm
    ----
Right now I'm flying with the terrain mesh disabled, and had it enabled on my first thorough checkout where I was scoping the terminal out real good....didn't see any floaters then also. I'll re-enable mesh but I believe the results will definitely be the same.

#28: Re: "Phu Bai Redux" is ready for testing.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:38 pm
    ----
Stoopy,
I just uploaded it to the server again to include trees and texture files needed...it should fix it all. I'd ask that you delete your old files and see if you get complete trees now (would help if Fr8ycat did the same, I know he fixed his, but he went "outside the package" to get there). I need to know the Trees thing is integral to my upload without outside help.

Also, I don't have three blue hootches near where the extra red one was...they's all green. I do have some of the blue-ish long barracks in there though, are these what you mean...two story barracks? We repainted the only "blue hootch" macro, so anything of that design should be red...and there should only be one ("El Alamo").

There is a readme file in the upload now, but it's a work-in-progress, so don't worry, Richard...I'll get Lynn Rogers in there before release. Wink

#29: Re: "Phu Bai Redux" is ready for testing.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:45 pm
    ----
No sweat. I just tracked down the trees and installed, but will wipe 'em and reinstall your new zip. I see that the trees_0.bgl file was included. it was just the texture bitmaps ("conifer_xxx" and whatnots) that were missing.

I'll get ya a screeenie of that elusive second red hooch.....if it's still there after a reinstall.

#30: Re: "Phu Bai Redux" is ready for testing.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:44 am
    ----
LOOKS GOOD!!!

I deleted BOTH the "Phu Bai Redux" and original "Phu Bai" folder I had, although it wasn't activated in my scenery library (I don't think)...and the second red hooch is gone. Voila!

I gots trees galore!

And, the mystery of the white aerial wires on the C-130 is solved. Becuase I have a slick little gizmo that turns the Environment Pack on and off with a click, I was able to see that its definitely related to that. The wires don't change color, but one thing the Envi Pack does that has an effect is it "brightens" everything (even when setting it to run with the stock 43K "envmap.bmp" file in the default texture folder, which I did a while back to make everything less "glossy"). NO OFFENSE TO FLED'S GREAT WORK HERE THOUGH! I only found this out when switching back and forth between Envi Pack and default textures for PROPS racing. The pylons are MUCH brighter and more visible with the Envi Pack, but at the cost of some stutters, so I run with it turned off, and it's smoother and more competitive for racing, but I've almost missed pylons becuase I didn't see them as well as when practicing with it turned on.

So the gray aerial wires are sufficiently brightened by the Envi Pack to make them look white - there's no texture to modify, I looked through all the texture files for the C-130 and everything is gray, no white, except for the center of the wheels. For this scenery, I believe that the darker colors look better, more dull and "military".

Some shots:

First, with the Envi Pack enabled:

Note the white aerial wires on the C-130 and the light almost-yellowish color of the terminal.....

And, without:

With EnviPack on, a close up of the terminal, no floating people.....either with terrain mesh on or off...but DO note the color of the terminal:

Now, with Envi Pack disabled and running stock textures.....note the aerial wires are now gray:

And note the more subdued color of the terminal (these are all taken with a flight saved at the same time of day, too, if you're wondering):

And an overview shot..note FPS in upper right. To be honest, that is NOT representative of what I get most of the time with this scenery, usually it's in the teens, this is a worst-case scenarion and a momentary hit at that. It's still very flyable for me (I started out with Sublogic Flight Simulator on a Commodore 64 back in the mid-eighties though.... 2 to 4 FPS max on that thing.....)

In my experience here, the noted (and relatively small) anomalies are just results of various add-ons which don't see eye to eye with each other, but don't outright ruin the experience, based on preference. Certainly, no offense meant to Fled's great Environment Pack at all, it's just how FS9 is dealing with multiple ideas of how things should look.

I don't see anything here that prevents it from being called a wrap...nice work!

Last edited by JG300-Stoopy on Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:00 am; edited 3 times in total

-> FS2004