Canadians to deploy Leopards to Afghanistan
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Canadians to deploy Leopards to Afghanistan Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:28 pm
    ----
Sat 9 Sep 06 Ottawa Citizen - an exclusive

Headline above the fold, "Canada ratchets up force, sends tanks to Afghanistan." With a suitable car bomb wreckage photo.

Text below the fold, 'Officials had said Leopards were readied for exercises." The gist of the text is that shortly after denying any intention of sending Leopards to Afghanistan, the Canadian military is set ot ship as many as 20 Leopards to Kandahar. A Wng O has been issued to the LdSH in Edmonton to prepare 20 tanks and 300 troops. Apparently, the 65 kph Leos will be convoy runners and help for the PRT's reconstruction teams, rather than direct combat against the Taliban. It will take a month by ship, faster by air if the US helps. All this transpires after stories on the tanks' preparations were reported over the summer, and explained away as normal pre-exercise work.

As I recall the C17 is M1 Abrams capable, so a lighter weight Leopard would be less strain on the airframe. And Canada periodically rents Antonov AN124s. Hmmm ???

#2: Re: Canadians to deploy Leopards to Afghanistan Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:00 am
    ----
Lets hope you dont have to threaten to seize the ship again!

Neil

#3: Re: Canadians to deploy Leopards to Afghanistan Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:57 am
    ----
I'm curious, when was the last time that Canadian forces deployed heavy armor overseas for any reason.

#4: Re: Canadians to deploy Leopards to Afghanistan Author: Coldsteel PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:02 am
    ----
They used their Leos as part of KFOR didn't they? so about 5-6 years ago.

#5: Re: Canadians to deploy Leopards to Afghanistan Author: recceboyLocation: Edmonton,Alberta PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:25 pm
    ----
The number is around 14 Leos ,3 troops of 4 and 2 in SHQ for command.

#6: Re: Canadians to deploy Leopards to Afghanistan Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:13 pm
    ----
For the short history of Royal Canadian Armoured Corps tank deployments: WWI and II, Korea; then the Brigade in Germany first with Centurions and then Leopard 1s. We had a few Leopards in UNPROFOR and OP PALLADIUM (Croatia and Bosnia), plus engineer vehicles. No particular actions worth mentioning. The Leopard C2s were sent to KFOR (Kosovo), where they found the roads, lanes, tracks and trails were almost all too narrow for a MBT. The bridges were restrictive too, and since the mission wasn't to destroy the infrastructure, the tanks stayed in garrison a lot. Now we are facing another NATO mission in Afghanistan for our armour.

#7: Re: Canadians to deploy Leopards to Afghanistan Author: Jason_Bobrowich PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:03 pm
    ----
Actually, there were no Canadian Leopards with UNPROFOR. Only two Engineer AEVs were deployed to Croatia.

The original deployment plan for Croatia did include both the Leopard and Lynx...but this was cancelled.

There were two Leopard C1s deployed with IFOR equipped with a mine plow and mine rollers and were not used very much at all. They mainly stayed at the camp. The Badger and Taurus were also with IFOR and stayed with SFOR.

Five Leopard C1A1s were deployed to Kosovo. There were no Leopard C2s in Kosovo. Yes, the urban roads were narrow but in a one year tour of patrolling the Leopards put on about 3500 kms to the odometers of each tank.

#8: Re: Canadians to deploy Leopards to Afghanistan Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:27 pm
    ----
In fact, has anyone deployed tanks into Afghanistan previously? I know Warriors have been deployed, but tanks?

Neil

#9: Re: Canadians to deploy Leopards to Afghanistan Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:29 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
In fact, has anyone deployed tanks into Afghanistan previously? I know Warriors have been deployed, but tanks?

Neil

The russians?

Cool

#10: Re: Canadians to deploy Leopards to Afghanistan Author: Jason_Bobrowich PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:46 pm
    ----
British Warrior MICV in Afghanistan?

I haven't seen any images of them that I recall. Did they deploy them and then withdraw them?

The only images I have seen of tracked vehicles in Afghanistan with ISAF forces are:
-Germany....Wiesel 20mm and TOW
-Norway....BV-206, M113, and the CV9030N
-Italy...BV-206
-Belgium...AIFV w/ .50 Cal

Funny comment about the Russians deploying tanks.

#11: Re: Canadians to deploy Leopards to Afghanistan Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:53 am
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

- Neil_Baumgardner

AFAIK, not counting the Soviet Union, no medium or MBTs have been sent into Afghanistan. When the US first invaded, the only AFVs I remember seeing photos of were USMC LAV armored cars.

But then there were those FT-17s(?). Maybe someone deployed them into Afghanistan. When was the last time they were attack prior to the Soviet Union moving in?

Not sure about this one, Confused
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#12: Re: Canadians to deploy Leopards to Afghanistan Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:49 am
    ----
- Jason_Bobrowich
British Warrior MICV in Afghanistan?

I haven't seen any images of them that I recall. Did they deploy them and then withdraw them?

Believe they're there right now. BBC had some footage last week shot by some Para guys at a remote base in Afghanistan, there was a Warrior there as well firing away at some unseen threat on the perimeter. Dont ask me why there is a Warrior operating with the Paras, probably some detached firepower for them. I suppose it could be a CVR(T), its hard to tell from this grainy video (the 'Warrior' is seen at about the 1:50 mark):

news.bbc.co.uk/media/a...6x9_nb.ram

Neil

#13: Re: Canadian Leopards to Afghanistan Author: A2_Prius PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:40 pm
    ----
Regardless of the means by which the Leos are to be transported to Afghanistan, one has to wonder whether they'll arrive before Parliament recalls the Canadian force from there . . .

#14: Re: Canadians to deploy Leopards to Afghanistan Author: Jason_Bobrowich PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:40 pm
    ----
Neil,

Thanks for the link to the footage. The BBC news footage shows a Scimitar CVR(T) not a Warrior MICV.

The Scimitars belong to D Squadron, Household Cavalry Regiment in Afghanistan and very obviously supporting the Paras in their ongoing battles.

#15: Re: Canadians to deploy Leopards to Afghanistan Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:43 pm
    ----
Gotcha, thanks.

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board