Kelly's Heros AFV Movie Quiz
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Kelly's Heros AFV Movie Quiz Author: Dubliner PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:46 pm
    ----
Ok, just for fun I have some movie trivia questions for the group.

1. What US armored division patch does Odd Ball (aka Donald Sutherland) have on his jacket?

2. What is the number of Odd Ball's fictional armored battalion?

3. What US infantry division does Clint and Telly’s characters belong?

4. What is the official designation of the half-track with the 105mm howitzer?

5. Give your best Hunnicutt description of the pedigree of Odd Ball’s motley band of modified M4s.

6. What vehicle is used to tow away the lieutenant’s ill-gotten yacht?

7. At the being of the movie what panzer division tactical markings do the T-34/85 based “Tiger Is� sport?

8. What division markings do the “Tigers� have in final village battle scenes?

9. Bonus question, for those who like “wingy’ things,� what type of Yugoslav aircraft are used in the movie to represent Allied jabos?

#2: Re: Kelly's Heros AFV Movie Quiz Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:58 pm
    ----
Oddball wore a jacket? (Oddball wore a uniform?!)

www.willys-mb.co.uk/im...heroes.gif

Laughing

#3: Re: Kelly's Heros AFV Movie Quiz Author: Dubliner PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:22 pm
    ----
Old Ball wears a leather flying jacket with strips and a division patch toward the end of movie. He is wearing it in the famous "western style" show down where Telly, Clint and Donald face off against the lone remaining Tiger.

I have photo, but it would give away the answer to No. 1.

#4: Re: Kelly's Heros AFV Movie Quiz Author: binder001 PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:30 pm
    ----

35th Infantry Division

105mm Howitzer Motor Carriage T19

5. Give your best Hunnicutt description of the pedigree of Odd Ball’s motley band of modified M4s.

M4A3E4 - modified by BMY for MAP give aways

7. At the being of the movie what panzer division tactical markings do the T-34/85 based “Tiger Is� sport?

I remember the "key" but don't remember if it's 1st SS or 12th SS Pz Div.

9. Bonus question, for those who like “wingy’ things,� what type of Yugoslav aircraft are used in the movie to represent Allied jabos?

#5: Re: Kelly's Heros AFV Movie Quiz Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:05 am
    ----
- Dubliner
Ok, just for fun I have some movie trivia questions for the group.

1. What US armored division patch does Odd Ball (aka Donald Sutherland) have on his jacket??

6th Armored Division [b]:Video Segment[/b]

2. What is the number of Odd Ball's fictional armored battalion?

1st SS (LAH?)

#6: Re: Kelly's Heros AFV Movie Quiz Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:33 am
    ----
Were they T-6s representing probably P-47s.

#7: Re: Kelly's Heros AFV Movie Quiz Author: Dubliner PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:19 pm
    ----
Hint picture for Bonus question... Credit: Kelly's Heros 1970...

#8: Re: Kelly's Heros AFV Movie Quiz Author: Dubliner PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:36 pm
    ----
Correct Answers so far:

1. 6th Armored Division (good old 'Super Six')

3. 35th Infantry Division - Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska National Guard. The 6th AD and 35th ID fought together against German counter attacks at Foret de Gremecy at the end of September 1944.

4. 105mm Howitzer Motor Carriage T19

5. M4A3E4 - modified by BMY for MAP give aways

8. 1st SS Pz. Div. (LAH)

Hints for remaining:

2. A common 3 digit decending luggage lock combination

6. Tracked utility vehicle, but not as cool as a M29 Weasel

7. The original ghost division...

#9: Re: Kelly's Heros AFV Movie Quiz Author: Hanno_Spoelstra PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:36 pm
    ----
- binder001

M4A3E4 - modified by BMY for MAP give aways

The E4 isn't described in Hunnicutt's Sherman. is it? The Sherman Register found out about this one with the aid of a surviving data plate:
web.inter.nl.net/users...etro76.htm

Hanno

#10: Re: Kelly's Heros AFV Movie Quiz Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:29 pm
    ----
Hi Hanno! Hi Folks!

- Hanno_Spoelstra

The E4 isn't described in Hunnicutt's Sherman. is it?

Yes and No. In Part III, Modification and Development, Proposals for improved tank, pages 247-250. He reports on an version designated M4E4 which was a test of the Sherman fitted with something like the wider T-66 track block and using a torsion bar suspension system. Two M4A2s where modified and designated M4A2E4. So there was an 'E4' test version. There was however never a production 'E4' version during WW II.

- Hanno_Spoelstra

The Sherman Register found out about this one with the aid of a surviving data plate:

Hunnicutt only has three pages in his Occupation and Foreign Aid section (pages 491-493). He only lists France and Italy by name. He may not have known about the "M4A3E4s rebuilds by BMY for use by MAP. His book mostly focus on the WW II time frame for the Sherman with some coverage of the Korean War and some IDF use. It maybe that the work at BMY was outside the zone he wanted to cover. His Sherman book is already very thick. Maybe he came acrossed something listing M4A3E4s and mistaked them for 'A3' versions of the WW II M4A2E4s. I know without the information found and reported by "The Sherman Register" I would have been thinking a M4A3E4 was just a 'A3' with a torsion bar suspension system. During the war, 'A' numbers where mostly used for engine changes (see note below), 'E' numbers where used for suspension changes like the 'E8' and 'E9' systems. For someone to use an 'E' number post WWII for a firepower upgrade to the original turret is just confuzing.

This is from Hunnicutt's book, page 247, the WW II E4 version.

My confuzed two cents on what is an 'E4'
Sgt, Scouts out!

'A' numbers were MOSTLY engine changes except for the M4(A0) and the M4A1 which had different hulls, but used the same engine, and the M-4A5 which was sometimes used to refer to the Canadian build vehicles.

#11: Re: Kelly's Heros AFV Movie Quiz Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:45 pm
    ----
So what exactly was the post-war M4A3E4 "firepower upgrade"?

Neil

#12: Re: Kelly's Heros AFV Movie Quiz Author: Dubliner PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:15 am
    ----
I don't have a copy of Hunnicutt's "Sherman," but based on Roy's post I would think Hanno's Sherman Register webpage:

Retrofitting of 76mm guns

is the best source avaliable concerning the Yugoslav BMY "firepower upgrades"

#13: Re: Kelly's Heros AFV Movie Quiz Author: binder001 PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:10 am
    ----
1) Unfortunately the Hunnicutt "Sherman" does not cover EVERYTHING. It is held as the "bible", but there has been a lot of material made available in the almost 30 years since its original publication. The book could be re-done at easily DOUBLE the original size.

2) For those that didn't check the Sherman Register, the M4A3E4 was a re-worked M4A3, 75mm Wet Stowage (and possibly some M4A3 105 Howitzer) done by Bowen-MCLaughlin-York (and maybe others) for foreign Military Aid Programs. The biggest upgrade was the addition of 76mm gun M1A1 in place of the original gun.

Gary

#14: Re: Kelly's Heros AFV Movie Quiz Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:27 am
    ----
I take it there arent any of these in the States?

None recovered from Bosnia/Kosovo for example?

Neil

#15: Re: Kelly's Heros AFV Movie Quiz Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:25 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
I take it there arent any of these in the States?

None recovered from Bosnia/Kosovo for example?

Neil

There's a guy on G104 who says the Sherman he is restoring is an E4. However, it's been awhile since I've seen him post.

I had asked on Missing-Lynx about what happened to the Yugoslavian Shermans back in 2004. One of the answers I received from someone in the former Yugoslavia was this: "On January 13. 1979., Shermans were formaly declared obsolute and sent to scrapyards/museums etc.
They were not in the first line service since the late '60s."

-> AFV News Discussion Board