M41's surround Government House, Thailand - Coup
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M41's surround Government House, Thailand - Coup Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:52 pm
    ----
As we speak....(it's all over the news services)
A shame to see these wonderful vehicles used for nonsense like the execution of a military coup. Evil or Very Mad (and not like it's the first time, either)

Last edited by Doug_Kibbey on Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: M41's actively deployed around Government House, Thailan Author: Dubliner PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:10 pm
    ----
nt

Last edited by Dubliner on Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

#3: Re: M41's surround Government House, Thailand - Coup Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:33 pm
    ----
I hear you. I also recall that when I was travelling extensivly in the region during the depth of the economic crisis in late '97 & '98 (when the baht became nearly worthless) that the newly democratic government offered to reinstate the former military govenor....and he DECLINED, so bad the situation was!

Since then, the situation had much improved, economically, but I'm not well informed as to the current political turmoil.

Sadly, this is looking to be a done deal unless a reversal is rapidly forthcoming. I love that part of the world and hate the instability so seemingly endemic to the region.

Oh...it seems you were right about the M113's. Roy, ya' think this might be "boom-boom" or "Head Shoppe" with a new paint job?

(and a new surf board, in the case of "Head Shoppe" Rolling Eyes )

#4: Re: M41's surround Government House, Thailand - Coup Author: sapper141 PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:25 pm
    ----
Thing is in that part of the world hasn't the M41 and 113's played a part in most coups, even all the back to Veitnam. Just 2cents
Seeya Shane

#5: Re: M41's surround Government House, Thailand - Coup Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:31 pm
    ----
...and M24's before the M41's in RVN. Not for nothing were they called "voting machines".

#6: Re: M41's surround Government House, Thailand - Coup Author: Dubliner PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:28 pm
    ----
nt

Last edited by Dubliner on Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:54 pm; edited 2 times in total

#7: Re: M41's surround Government House, Thailand - Coup Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:57 pm
    ----
Getting a bit OT, but IMO it all depends on what the king does - he stopped the last coup didnt he?

Neil

#8: Re: M41's surround Government House, Thailand - Coup Author: Dubliner PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:24 pm
    ----
I guess we should keep an eye out for Stingray light tanks. See the following link below for some very good recent photos of Stingrays serving with the Royal Thai 6th Cavalry Battalion (King's Guard)

Stingrays of the 6th Cavalry Battalion

Neil's to answer your question,
Just before the election this year the Thai TV stations all ran the footage of King Bhumibol ending the 1991/92 coup. I guess the message did not sink into the heads of the current coup leaders...

#9: Re: M41's surround Government House, Thailand - Coup Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:41 am
    ----
Hi Doug! Hi Folks!

- Doug_Kibbey

Oh...it seems you were right about the M113's. Roy, ya' think this might be "boom-boom" or "Head Shoppe" with a new paint job?

(and a new surf board, in the case of "Head Shoppe" Rolling Eyes )

Hey Doug, could well be our old rides. Interesting shade of green on that vehicle. As for the M41, I am starting to get the feeling it's legacy is going to be the 'voting machine' rather than a good light tank.
Sad use of a good pair of AFVs.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#10: Re: M41's surround Government House, Thailand - Coup Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:01 am
    ----
- Dubliner
I guess we should keep an eye out for Stingray light tanks. See the following link below for some very good recent photos of Stingrays serving with the Royal Thai 6th Cavalry Battalion (King's Guard)

Stingrays of the 6th Cavalry Battalion

Neil
Thats amazing!! I never realized the Stingray was purchased. Awesome photos. Thanks
Don

#11: Re: M41's surround Government House, Thailand - Coup Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:48 am
    ----
Hi Don! Hi Folks!

- Dontos

I never realized the Stingray was purchased.

I didn't either until someone at the old site said something about the US renting them for the 82nd Abn Div. If I remember right, Gadillac Gage was able to sell them to Thailand back when the design was new. When the suggestion on renting them came up the vehicles had been in use long enough that they were in need of rebuilding and repairs to the hulls which had developed cracks.

Per Global Security in the Royal Thai Army - Ground section, they have 154 of them along with 200 M-41s.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#12: Re: M41's surround Government House, Thailand - Coup Author: DirkLocation: South Africa PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:39 am
    ----
Interesting to see that the M41 Walker Bulldogs are being used. Currently away from my reference sources , but does these Walker Bulldogs still have the petrol engine ?

The Squadron Signal M41 Walker Bulldog in Action shows the re-engined M41 has a different muffler (IIRC that is !)

Thanks

Dirk

-> AFV News Discussion Board