Origins of the Littlefield Panther A
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Origins of the Littlefield Panther A Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:07 pm
    ----
What a treasurechest the "detektorweb.cz" site turned out to be, but since my knowledge of the Czech language is limited (read close to nothing) the clicking is very much "trail n error" Smile

Among the many, many pictures of salvaged/recovered armor I came across pictures of what must be Mr. Littlefield's Panther A pre and post salvage.

The Panther before being pulled from the Czarna Nida river:

Left side track is detaching during pulling:

Left side track is gone:

Upside down (this picture and the one following has been widely spread on the net though):

Panther rear:

Detail of one of the peculiar side fittings:

Finally a picture from the scrapyard where the Panther is said to have been rediscovered. The only other pictures I've seen of this showed the Panther with "quilt" turret and a close up of the Stug, this picture clearly shows another Panther A hull to the far left. The initial report on this scrapyard spoke of several Panthers:

And there's lots more, I'll be scouting this page for days ...

Cheers,
Rik

Last edited by Rikard_Hufschmied on Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:37 pm; edited 3 times in total

#2: Re: Origins of the Littlefield Panther A Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:52 pm
    ----
Rik,
Would you happen to know who took the original photos? Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards,
Chris

#3: Re: Origins of the Littlefield Panther A Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:39 pm
    ----
- toadmanstankpictures
Rik,
Would you happen to know who took the original photos? Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards,
Chris

Chris,

Sadly no, no credits anywhere. Most of the pictures just say "source: internet" . I'd love to see some more pictures of that scrapyard.

Cheers,
Rik

#4: Re: Origins of the Littlefield Panther A Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:48 pm
    ----
Rik,
Thanks for the quick response. Too bad about the lack of picture credit. I'd like to use them for some sort of publication when the restoration is completed but won't unless I get permission. Oh well...the search continues.

Regards,
Chris

#5: Re: Origins of the Littlefield Panther A Author: mark67Location: Warsaw PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:47 pm
    ----
- Rikard_Hufschmied

Upside down (this picture and the one following has been widely spread on the net though):

Panther rear:

Detail of one of the peculiar side fittings:

Those pictures were published in Polish (no longer existng) magazine "Militaria" Vol.2 No.2/96. They are credited to Piotr Mrozowski and made in summer 1991 soon after recovery.

HTH

Marek

#6: Re: Origins of the Littlefield Panther A Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:56 am
    ----
- mark67
Those pictures were published in Polish (no longer existng) magazine "Militaria" Vol.2 No.2/96. They are credited to Piotr Mrozowski and made in summer 1991 soon after recovery.

HTH

Marek

Marek,

Thank You for the information. Is there any additional information in the article like where the Panther was found and recovered?

Cheers,
Rik

#7: Re: Origins of the Littlefield Panther A Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:00 am
    ----
Hmm ...

Come to think of it, picture nr.2 where the track is coming loose looks very much like a still from a VHS tape transfer ... hmm

#8: Re: Origins of the Littlefield Panther A Author: mark67Location: Warsaw PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:37 am
    ----
- Rikard_Hufschmied
Is there any additional information in the article like where the Panther was found and recovered?

Hi Rik,
Of course there are that information. Because that Panther is pretty famous, I did not give those information.
Anyway This Panther was recovered in Poland in 1991 from small river called Czarna Nida. After recovery it was sold to privet German collector. That was situation when the article was prepared. For you information after that time, German collector resold Panther to Polish first owners, which sold it to Littlefield collection. Now on Toadman page you can see how looks today.
This Panther is famous because mysterious "fittings' on hull sides - which were unfortunately removed by Littlefield team (I do not now why?). Maybe Toadman can explain it as apparently he is close to the team?
BTW there was some more photos in this article plus 1/35 drawing of Panther with this 'fittings", which were asymmetric.

HTH

Marek

#9: Re: Origins of the Littlefield Panther A Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:31 am
    ----
- mark67
- Rikard_Hufschmied
Is there any additional information in the article like where the Panther was found and recovered?

Hi Rik,
Of course there are that information. Because that Panther is pretty famous, I did not give those information.
Anyway This Panther was recovered in Poland in 1991 from small river called Czarna Nida. After recovery it was sold to privet German collector. That was situation when the article was prepared. For you information after that time, German collector resold Panther to Polish first owners, which sold it to Littlefield collection. Now on Toadman page you can see how looks today.
This Panther is famous because mysterious "fittings' on hull sides - which were unfortunately removed by Littlefield team (I do not now why?). Maybe Toadman can explain it as apparently he is close to the team?
BTW there was some more photos in this article plus 1/35 drawing of Panther with this 'fittings", which were asymmetric.

HTH

Marek

Hi Marek,

That's the same information I had but it was more or less unconfirmed, to much conflicting info has been reported on this Panther. I've been following the restoration of this Panther pretty much since day one Smile

There has been many theories on those side fittings, the consensus I believe was that it was a non-standard/makeshift field modification for fitting of "Nebelwerfer" launchers. That probably also explains why the Littlefield crew didn't keep them

Any chance on a post of those other pictures and the drawing?

Thanks,
Rik

#10: Re: Origins of the Littlefield Panther A Author: mark67Location: Warsaw PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:50 am
    ----
Rik,

For sure that modification was not "field" - there were side toolholder frames relocated because those fittings and it was done before tank was covered by zimmerit. As you probably know there are 2 pictures of Tiger I with this fittings. Personaly I am after theory that those fittings were for light composite side armour but nobody knows for sure as there are not German documents about this modification.
Well, yes I can post them here as well.

Best regards,

Marek

Last edited by mark67 on Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:22 am; edited 1 time in total

#11: Re: Origins of the Littlefield Panther A Author: mark67Location: Warsaw PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:52 pm
    ----
Ok then. Promissed photos from "Militaria"

HTH
Marek

#12: Re: Origins of the Littlefield Panther A Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:32 pm
    ----
Excellent!

Thank You Marek, and I agree that the "Nebelwerfer field modification" theory is just not that viable seeing this. Add-on side armor is much more likely and also makes a lot more sense. Extra armor on the sponson sides was much needed on the Ausf. A to increase survivability, and something the Germans also sought to rectify on the Ausf. G.

Thanks again! Cheers,
Rik

#13: Re: Origins of the Littlefield Panther A Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:34 am
    ----
[quote]What a treasurechest the "detektorweb.cz" site turned out to be, but since my knowledge of the Czech language is limited (read close to nothing) the clicking is very much "trail n error"

Hi Rikard,

Thanks for posting that website, I've been enjoying it. I'm using a Czech to English translator (not perfect, but it helps a lot). Have you tried this one?

www.translation-guide....to=English

#14: Re: Origins of the Littlefield Panther A Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:01 am
    ----
- mark67
- Rikard_Hufschmied

Hi Rik,

HTH

Marek

From what I've been told, the Littlefield team thought that the fittings were for some sort of standoff armor. Since they're not really sure of what they're for, the fittings were removed until they're actual use can be determined. I'll see if I can find out more during one of my upcoming visits, say in 2-3 weeks.

-> AFV News Discussion Board