Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff....
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15, 16, 17  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#121: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: timrobertsLocation: shrewsbury UK PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:03 pm
    ----
Dear Massimo
I'd really like to see more pictures of the Romanian T55, and its variants, I think I see a TR580?
Thanks for looking
Best Wishes
Tim

#122: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:49 am
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
I visited the Museum just a few days ago. Doug suggested to append my pictures to this topic, so that we keep the discussion centralized.

Here is the modified T-55:

Massimo

The shrubbery looks better in my pics, but Massimo got better pics of them Russki tanks. Wink

#123: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff.... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:48 am
    ----
The tanks what I've seen are:

- Modified T-55 (pics already posted)
- TR-580
- TR-88
- TR-85 M1A
- T-34-85
- T-34-85 cutaway
- TACAM R2
- SU-76M
- Renault R-35
- Renault FT-17
- Pz 35t
- Pz IV J
- PT-76 Luna rocket launcher
- M4A2 wreck
- ISU-152 R-11 rocket launcher

More AFV and vehicles:

- ABI armoured car (two vehicles)
- ATS-59
- ATS-59 G
- ATS-712
- BTR-60PB
- BTR 50P
- MLI-84
- Sd.Kfz.9 FAMO
- Skoda workshop truck
- TAB-71
- TAB-71 M
- TAB-77
- TAR-76

As far as artillery goes, I took pictures of over 80 different models, but there were more

Massimo

#124: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:37 am
    ----
Let's move to the TR-580. I have two big scoops here Cool

First scoop, s/n is: 79 05 102

Second,most important scoop! We finally know why they keep that shrubbery around the tanks. It's to hide the tomato and zucchini they plant during the good season! If you look behind the tank you can see the vegetables Laughing Laughing Laughing

Massimo

#125: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:54 am
    ----
Massimo could you post photos of:

LUNA and ISU-152 rocket launchers.

Thanks

#126: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff.... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:06 am
    ----
Sure Rafa, I know it's missing from the PDF. I will post pictures asap, still have a lot of post-processing to do

Massimo

#127: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:31 am
    ----
- bialy-r
Massimo could you post photos of:

LUNA and ISU-152 rocket launchers.

Thanks

Cannot recall seeing an 'ISU-152 rocket launcher' though...

#128: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:44 am
    ----
- JimWeb

I don't know the exact name, as far as I can see it's a R-11 on a Stalin chassis.
There are two rocket launchers in the Museum, one on PT-76 chassis and another one on the JS chassis. While I am not an expert on soviet AFVs, I can see the difference among the two Smile

I was surprised Doug missed the heavy launcher, and now you are telling us you missed it too (it's missing from Rafal's PDF as well). I would guess it was added later on. I visited the place on July 18th.

Massimo

#129: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:51 am
    ----
BTW Jim, you went to Bucharest with the Olympus SP-510 UZ and left the Nikon D3 at home??? Shocked Shocked Shocked

Massimo

#130: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:05 am
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
- JimWeb

I don't know the exact name, as far as I can see it's a R-11 on a Stalin chassis.
There are two rocket launchers in the Museum, one on PT-76 chassis and another one on the JS chassis. While I am not an expert on soviet AFVs, I can see the difference among the two Smile

I was surprised Doug missed the heavy launcher, and now you are telling us you missed it too (it's missing from Rafal's PDF as well). I would guess it was added later on. I visited the place on July 18th.

Massimo

Didn't miss it - I was thrown by the description and thought I had actually missed something..

#131: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff.... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:10 am
    ----
So it was there already in May 2008. Wonder if Doug have seen it as well. It's quite a large piece of hardware that doesn't go unnoticed

Massimo

#132: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:13 am
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
BTW Jim, you went to Bucharest with the Olympus SP-510 UZ and left the Nikon D3 at home??? Shocked Shocked Shocked

Massimo

Sometimes your batteries go flat when your doing a 60-shot walkaround of your 18th artillery piece and you have to use a backup....

Actually my preferred camera of use is my trusty old Fujifilm Finepix - its much more convenient for those museums where they tend to frown on you taking photographs without an expensive permit.

Trying to explain why your carrying a bag full of SD Cards for it at airport security is always interesting though - I suspect they think I'm some sort of smuggler...

#133: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:22 am
    ----
- JimWeb
Sometimes your batteries go flat when your doing a 60-shot walkaround of your 18th artillery piece and you have to use a backup....

Time to invest into some spare batteries

- JimWeb
Trying to explain why your carrying a bag full of SD Cards for it at airport security is always interesting though - I suspect they think I'm some sort of smuggler...

I was somewhat concerned about that, since I carried the complete arsenal inside my heaviest backpack. You can see the model here, and yes, the inside looked more or less like the one in the picture:
www.tamrac.com/5588.htm

In the end I had no problem with security checks or even the armed guards at the Museum. I guess the look in my face show I am a trustworthy person

Massimo

#134: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:31 am
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
- JimWeb

Time to invest into some spare batteries

Or not leave them at home....

Must go back sometime and finish doing all the artillery pieces... there are way too many!

#135: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:41 am
    ----
- JimWeb
Must go back sometime and finish doing all the artillery pieces... there are way too many!

Yes, planes and AFVs are doable in just one day, but the artillery is overwhelming. The most impressive collection I ever seen, not only for the numbers, but for the diversity of models and sources

One day I will go back and get more shots. I think next time I will follow Doug's advice and pick a season when less foliage is around, but this means facing more bad weather risk. This time I preferred to be safe.

Massimo

-> AFV News Discussion Board