Sd. Kfz. 234/2 "Puma"
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Sd. Kfz. 234/2 "Puma" Author: DCCLarke PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:45 pm
    ----
Hi Folks, long time no talk to!!!

Ran into an interesting tidbit of infomation on this vehicle, it was being discussed on another website and low and behold, one of the contributors, Timo, wrote:

BTW, I always loved the story from an SS AA1 Puma veteran who told me that they were not allowed to fire the gun when the turret was rotated 90 degrees left or right, because the vehicle could easily tip over in that case

I've never heard this said about the WWII Puma and wondered if anyone had any comment.

Best,
David

#2: Re: Sd. Kfz. 234/2 "Puma" Author: TimRoyallLocation: Holland PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:48 pm
    ----
Strangly enough, when we used to fire the Abbot 105mm SPG on the range in the anti-tank role using charge super, we always traversed the turret 90 degrees to get the maximum stability across the tracks. Mind you I could see how with the shape of the Puma it might cause some problems!

#3: Re: Sd. Kfz. 234/2 "Puma" Author: DCCLarke PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:36 pm
    ----
I only bring it up because it reminded me of the decision not to mount the 90mm on the Stryker.

Hmmm. The "Puma" weighed in at about 12 tons, a couple tons less than the LAV-25, which was never fielded with a big calibre gun. Just thinking out loud here folks!

Best,
David

#4: Re: Sd. Kfz. 234/2 "Puma" Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:50 pm
    ----
Define "big calibre gun"...

While the Marine Corps never adopted it, despite having the Mobile Protected Weapon System (MPWS) program/requirement in the 1970s, there is a 90mm gun armed version of the LAV I-gen family (same as the LAV-25). The LAV Assault Gun (LAV-AG) is used by the Saudi Arabian Nationa Guard:

I want to say that Cadillac Gage developed a 105mm gun system for the LAV (I know, not to be confused with their own V-/LAV- vehicles), but I may have that mixed up somehow...

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board