M1A1 Bumper Numbers
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M1A1 Bumper Numbers Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:29 am
    ----
I saw an M1A1 today with the bumper number "7th Army HBC102".
Anybody ever seen one like this? Also there are several Iraq veteran M1A1's from 1/64, 1/66, 3/66 and 2/70 Armor. Anybody here serve on any of these tanks? Your old tank might be here in California.

Also tanks from 4/64 and 1/13th Armor and 3/7 Cav.

Last edited by MarkHolloway on Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:42 am; edited 2 times in total

#2: Re: M1A1 Bumper Numbers Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:38 am
    ----
TW

Hey dude, glad your doing okay.

Perhaps that is the 7th Army 'ORF' or 'float tank'.

The only M1A1 SN I can remember is My first M1A1 back in Germany in 88-89. A first generation M1A1 it was L6116.

Weren't most of the 1/64 tanks 'rent-a-tanks' drawn in Kuwait due to their initial deployment as part of Op Intrinsic Action?

Initially, during the war, they had the stencil on the underside front slope. Here is a sample from Armor for The Ages Websiteof the Iraqi Freedom Display.

Glad all is good, welcome back!!
Don

#3: Re: M1A1 Bumper Numbers Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:49 am
    ----
Sounds like a CMTC draw fleet number, or something like that.

#4: Re: M1A1 Bumper Numbers Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:17 am
    ----
Thanks, Rob! I'm working at a 'TACOM Asset Storage Area' and I'm like a kid in a candy store! Smile

#5: Re: M1A1 Bumper Numbers Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:46 am
    ----
Mark,
Any historic items of note? Ie older than M1s?

Neil

#6: Re: M1A1 Bumper Numbers Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:17 am
    ----
Hello all, I may be a "Mortar Magot-11C" but I have been in some Armor and Mech units. If I'm not mistaken, 1/64 is stationed at Ft Stewart, GA., and goes by the nickname "Tuskers". 1/66 is about to return from Iraq very soon if they haven't already and are stationed here at Ft Hood, TX as part of 4th ID. I was a member of HHC 3/66 Armor from 1998-2001, also with 4th ID at Ft Hood. This unit has been Inactivated since I was last here and where their equipment went, I do not know.
4/64 and 3/7 are also at Ft Stewart if I remember correctly. I was in 2/7 from 1993-1997. We were part of the 24th ID before transferring over to 3rd ID around 1996.
I've been out of the loop for a while but it's good to hear from Mark, aka "Tumbleweed" again.

#7: Re: M1A1 Bumper Numbers Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:32 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Mark,
Any historic items of note? Ie older than M1s?

Neil

Neil, We have one M1 tank here. Not sure where it came from yet. The stuff we are storing is mostly returns from Iraq so there's not much in the way of old stuff. The oldest vehicles we have are probably the M48A5 AVLB's. They have a V-100 here that is supposed to be used in parades. I may try to get involved with that. I think basically we are a 'parking lot' for Anniston Army Depot. We had lots of space and they don't. Currently we have nearly 800 M1A1 stored.

#8: Re: M1A1 Bumper Numbers Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:32 pm
    ----
Hi Mark! Hi Folks!

- MarkHolloway

The stuff we are storing is mostly returns from Iraq so there's not much in the way of old stuff.
I think basically we are a 'parking lot' for Anniston Army Depot. We had lots of space and they don't. Currently we have nearly 800 M1A1 stored.

About two or three weeks ago I ran acrossed a news article that reported 1,000 M1s setting at Anniston. For now they were just being stored because no funding as been received to start working on that group of equipment.

Anyone know if their local National Guard Tank Battalions are still around?

At the end of 2005, the Texas 36th Infantry Division was a heavy mech division. By the end of 2006, all the Tank Battalions have stood down and many of the tankers have be re-classified as Infantry. All of the Bradley Infantry Battalions have been converted into the new Unit of Action type of straight leg infantry BCTs. One odd thing, as a straight leg infantry division, you would think the artillery battalions would have been converted from SP to towed. That hasn't happiend. All the 155 units are still equiped with M-109A6 Paladins.

I think it was sometime last year that I read an Army statement that said something like "units just returning didn't need a full set of equipment because not every unit would need to be deployed at the same time".

Interesting report Mark.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#9: Re: M1A1 Bumper Numbers Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:13 pm
    ----
Roy, When I was at Knox I met a lot of 19K's that were changing over to 19D. Even though they had drawn sizeable re-enlistment bonuses. Guess tanks are on the way out again. Anniston has very little room. When I was there you'd see parts on pallets setting in parking lots and along side the road.

#10: Re: M1A1 Bumper Numbers Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:49 am
    ----
Hi Mark! Hi Folks!

- MarkHolloway

Guess tanks are on the way out again.

I am not so sure that's the case Mark. From what I have been reading in Armor and Army magazines, tanks are in again because of Iraq. Go back a few weeks and and check out the posts about the Canadian flip flop on tanks. When from 'doing away' with all of them to a unit being airlifted to Afghanstan to support the UN mission over there.

The thing that is different is this new Unit of Action type of Brigade Combat Teams that are being formed. They have less tank and infantry units, but a lot more recon than the older Division 86 type of BCTs.

My 2 cents,
Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board