Can someone ID this German halftrack?
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Can someone ID this German halftrack? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:36 pm
    ----
Hi everyone, Can someone ID this German halftrack?
Is there anyway to tell the difference between the Sd. Kfz. 8
and Sd. Kfz. 9 in photographs? I've noticed different hoods and grilles.

#2: Re: Can someone ID this German halftrack? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:27 pm
    ----
- armyjunk2
Hi everyone, Can someone ID this German halftrack?
Is there anyway to tell the difference between the Sd. Kfz. 8
and Sd. Kfz. 9 in photographs? I've noticed different hoods and grilles.

If its any help the image is a Sd.Kfz 7/1

Sd.Kfz 6 - 8 hole roadwheels
Sd.Kfz 7 - 7 hole roadwheels
Sdkfz 8 - 8 hole roadwheels.
Sd.kfz 9 - 8 hole roadwheels, wheel & track mudguards moulded near centre.
Sd.Kfz 10 - 5 hole roadwheels
Sd.Kfz 11 - 8 hole roadwheels, wheel & track mudguards moulded at top.

Cool

#3: Re: Can someone ID this German halftrack? Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:43 pm
    ----
Actually,

that's a plain SdKfz 7, a 7/1 would have a Flak 38 Vierling on the back. Cool

Cheers,

Jens O.

#4: Re: Can someone ID this German halftrack? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:57 pm
    ----
Is this photo from the Museo Storico della Motorizzazione Militare? I think you found it on the website Tanxheaven, am I right? Wink
http://tanxheaven.com/sd/MuseoStoricodellaMotorizzazioneMilitare/musmotmil.htm
This is a museum I really want to visit, there are some interesting vehicles there. Maybe this year..

P-O

#5: Re: Can someone ID this German halftrack? Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:06 pm
    ----
Actually,

on close examination it's a Breda Type 61, an Italian license build of the KM m 11 (aka SdKfz 7), it has the different grille typical of the Breda. If we could have a look at the interior, we'd probably find out it is right-hand drive as well Cool

Built in small numbers (a few hundred) for the German Wehrmacht and powered by a Breda T 14 six-cylinder 130 hp engine.

Cheers,

Jens O.

#6: Re: Can someone ID this German halftrack? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:11 pm
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner
Actually,

on close examination it's a Breda Type 61, an Italian license build of the KM m 11 (aka SdKfz 7), it has the different grille typical of the Breda. If we could have a look at the interior, we'd probably find out it is right-hand drive as well Cool

Built in small numbers (a few hundred) for the German Wehrmacht and powered by a Breda T 14 six-cylinder 130 hp engine.

Cheers,

Jens O.

You can make out the steering wheel as right hand drive through the foggy/dusty glass anyway, assuming the image isn't reversed or anything. You can even see two of the spokes in it. Wink

#7: Re: Can someone ID this German halftrack? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:14 pm
    ----
Jim can you explain these terms? Thank you

1. wheel & track mudguards moulded near centre. This is the SdKfz 9

2. wheel & track mudguards moulded at top. This is the SdKfz 11

#8: Re: Can someone ID this German halftrack? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:17 pm
    ----
It is Right hand drive and a Breda makes sense as it is in the Italian Army Museum in Rome, Thanks guys

#9: Re: Can someone ID this German halftrack? Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:17 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

You can make out the steering wheel as right hand drive through the foggy/dusty glass anyway, assuming the image isn't reversed or anything. You can even see two of the spokes in it. Wink

You're right,

I had them down as reflections of the roof framing, but them be spokes.

Cheers,

Jens O.

#10: Re: Can someone ID this German halftrack? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:20 pm
    ----
Right-hand drive...

P-O

#11: Re: Can someone ID this German halftrack? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:36 pm
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner
Actually, that's a plain SdKfz 7, a 7/1 would have a Flak 38 Vierling on the back. Cool

Well I had to let you catch me out sometime today Smile

Anyway we were both wrong - its the Breda. Whic means, looking through my image collection, that I have some images of it in use with the germans.

Cool

#12: Re: Can someone ID this German halftrack? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:29 pm
    ----
[quote="armyjunk2"]Jim can you explain these terms? Thank you

1. wheel & track mudguards moulded near centre. This is the SdKfz 9

Your image shows an odd Sd,Kfz 9 - I am under the impression that, at some stage - I suspect 1940, the Sd.Kfz 9 was also built by Krupp as it has the Sd.kfz 8 mudguards the normal mudguards are shown in the attached image.

You should be able to see what I mean from the images.

Sorry this is a bit rushed but I am literally between shows - just finished my Skypecast one and now I'm doing the blogtalk one. Interesting evening and a lively den=bate about which is the best Sherman kit - even now I'm not quite sure which was is.... Smile

Cool

#13: Re: Can someone ID this German halftrack? Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:44 pm
    ----

That is the rare artillery tractor variant, of which only a handful were built and later converted to regular heavy prime movers/recovery vehicles.

Cheers,

Jens O.

#14: Re: Can someone ID this German halftrack? Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:20 pm
    ----
- JimWeb

Anyway we were both wrong - its the Breda. Whic means, looking through my image collection, that I have some images of it in use with the germans.

Cool

Oh, it's still a SdKfz 7, since (as you well know) German classifications were by type and not by manufacturer or individual vehicle- dare I mention SdKfz 231s? Wink So we both had parts of the story...

Cheers, Cool

Jens O.

#15: Re: Can someone ID this German halftrack? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:33 pm
    ----
Speaking of italian halftracks. Do you need an image of the other one - Fiat 727SC?

Cool

-> AFV News Discussion Board