Dented and buckled armor on M4a2 Sherman: how did it happen?
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Dented and buckled armor on M4a2 Sherman: how did it happen? Author: Claymore PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:31 am
    ----
T28E4: Chill a bit! I hadn't seen the postings on Missing-Lynx. It was only a suggestion. Having seen the photos of the sherman it has been restored from a wreck, look at the engine deck! But without getting to examine the vehicle guess we'll never know.

#17: Re: Dented and buckled armor on M4a2 Sherman: how did it hap Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:51 am
    ----
More or less complete walk-arounds of the M4A2 at Poklonnaya Gora, Moscow. This one also has dents in the armour, but only on the left side :

http://www.tanxheaven.com/nic/sherman05/shermannic.htm

h
tanksinmoscow.com/Pokl...4A2_01.htm

Hope this helps

P-O

Last edited by the_shadock on Thu May 24, 2007 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total

#18: Re: Dented and buckled armor on M4a2 Sherman: how did it happen? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:28 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

There is one photo of the underside of the sponson of that damaged Sherman that clearly shows the weld seam running along the bottom edge of the side panel. Clearly that is the original armored plate with dents in it.

Has anyone else noticed the side of the turret? There is something that looks a bit like a plug or possible the rear end of projectile sticking out of it.

Interesting.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#19: Re: Dented and buckled armor on M4a2 Sherman: how did it happen? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:12 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Folks!

Has anyone else noticed the side of the turret? There is something that looks a bit like a plug or possible the rear end of projectile sticking out of it.

Interesting.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

Yea, I noticed that. Wish I had a clearer shot of it

#20: Re: Dented and buckled armor on M4a2 Sherman: how did it happen? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:51 am
    ----
Hi Jeff! Hi Folks!

- SFC_Jeff_Button

....there is a hollow opening in the rear of each upper rear deck area, one of which appears ripped open,....

Those openning are for the groser (sp-?) storage compartments. The vent covers or cover plates are missing. I wonder if the ripped one was caused by someone hooking onto the hull at that openning and trying to tow or lift the vehicle?

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#21: Re: Dented and buckled armor on M4a2 Sherman: how did it hap Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:33 am
    ----
Wink German Wonder Weapon: Thor's Hammer Wink Rolling Eyes Just kidding guys. This has been an interesting thread!

-> AFV News Discussion Board