Diesel M1
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Diesel M1 Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:04 pm
    ----
Here are pictures of the Fort Campbell M1 in front of Range Control.

There was no SN or RN anywhere when I looked. Right rear was thick with paint. I have more pictures for those interested.

Joe D

#2: Re: Diesel M1 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:29 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
I have more pictures for those interested.

Joe D

Isn't that everybody here Wink Please, Please can we have more?

#3: Re: Diesel M1 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:29 pm
    ----
It does appear to be a Full Scale Engineering Development (FSED) XM1 Abrams pilot vehicle, like this one at Fort Hood - although interesting in that it doesnt have the slab on the lower rear part of the turret like other XM1s (or upper rear like on normal M1s).

Neil

#4: Re: Diesel M1 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:27 am
    ----
Here are a few circled interest points. I'll bet one of the prototypes....

I must have cruised by that tank a hundred times, and never took any photos of it. Not really sure why.

Don

#5: Re: Diesel M1 Author: ChrisC PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:39 am
    ----
The CWS still has the funky sideways ammo tray too.

Somewhere in the bowels of the detroit arsenal is an all wood mockup of the once upon a time proposed diesel repower for the M1 I wish I could take a camera in there and get some shots of it, but it would not be the only thing being shot.....

#6: Re: Diesel M1 Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:33 am
    ----
So, the Ft Campbell tank IS a PV. Thanks for the pics, Joe!

Of course, ALL M1s are "diesel M1s." Wink But I know what you mean - reciprocating piston diesel, like a 1790.

Two of the XM1 PVs were fitted with 1790 engines, to test against the turbine. I *think* these were PV4 and PV5, but I'm not sure. One of them used to be at TACOM, at the GDLS boneyard inside the test track, then in a parking lot just inside the Mound Road gate, but it's gone now. This one was the hull of PV4 (without the engine), with one of the Chrysler prototype turrets on it. Some pics below - note the exhaust tubes for the air intake blower motors, a la M60-style.

This one at Campbell sure looks the same (1790 engine). So maybe it is PV5.

Geoff Walden

#7: Re: Diesel M1 Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:54 am
    ----
Here are some other shots,
Based on what Geoff says I'd say this is PV-5. But I will let this esteemed panel decide that.

Right side air cleaner

Left side air cleaner

Test fittings???

Skirt Stamp

Cupola

Turret Rear

I have more so if there are any particular features some one wants to see ask. I also go to Fort Campbell from time to time so If I don't have it I can get it. I guess when range control wanted a tank to display TACOM gave them this one from Detroit. I doubt the folks at Campbell know the rarity of this old girl. I bet to them it looks like just another M1.

Joe D

#8: Re: Diesel M1 Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:24 pm
    ----
The curious thing about this diesel saga is that whenever anyone mentions it I think of the Abrams fitted with the europack diesel engine that was demonstrated to the Greek Army - whatever happened to that vehicle?

Cool

#9: Re: Diesel M1 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:35 pm
    ----
Probably still in GD's storage.

Neil

#10: Re: Diesel M1 Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:49 pm
    ----
These comparison shots of what are probably PV4 and PV5 really show the hand-made nature of the 11 FSED XM1s - crude metal cutting and all.

Geoff

PS - When I log in I can see the pics I posted of PV4, but not otherwise - can you all see them? (3 pics of the air cleaner boxes)

#11: Re: Diesel M1 Author: Andrei PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:50 pm
    ----
- Geoff_walden

Of course, ALL M1s are "diesel M1s." Wink But I know what you mean - reciprocating piston diesel, like a 1790.

Two of the XM1 PVs were fitted with 1790 engines, to test against the turbine. I *think* these were PV4 and PV5, but I'm not sure. One of them used to be at TACOM, at the GDLS boneyard inside the test track, then in a parking lot just inside the Mound Road gate, but it's gone now. This one was the hull of PV4 (without the engine), with one of the Chrysler prototype turrets on it. Some pics below - note the exhaust tubes for the air intake blower motors, a la M60-style.

Geoff Walden

Very interesting photos, it has a JE0001 Chrysler prototype turret on PV4 chassis, I suppose? Maybe front hull photos are available?

#12: Re: Diesel M1 Author: Andrei PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:06 am
    ----
Could this be AVCR-1360 planned initially?

#13: Re: Diesel M1 Author: Walter_Sobchak PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:16 pm
    ----
- Andrei
- Geoff_walden

Geoff Walden

Very interesting photos, it has a JE0001 Chrysler prototype turret on PV4 chassis, I suppose? Maybe front hull photos are available?

As far as I know, they never put a 1790 into an XM1. Only the AVCR-1360. A 1790 won't fit inside an M1 without removing the rear torsion bar and reducing the size/placement of the fueltanks. At least, that's my understanding of it based on some drawings I have seen.

#14: Re: Diesel M1 Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:21 am
    ----
Andrei, Walter,

I think I have a picture or two of inside of the engine bay of this tank that I took, if not, next time I'm at Fort Campbell I can probably get pictures of that area (if it hasn't been "Secured"). Currently I am not at home but will post them when if I find them.

#15: Re: Diesel M1 Author: Andrei PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:32 am
    ----
Thanks in advance.

Maybe there are more pictures of GM XM1, any info if it will be restored?

-> AFV News Discussion Board