Tan and Brown Bradley
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Tan and Brown Bradley Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:07 am
    ----
Hi CIA Agents and other Folks!

Found this interesting (to me, anyway) picture of another tan and brown paint job over at the Army Mil web site.

89th Cav?

The link to the smaller photo with the caption:

www.army.mil/-images/2...9/19/8090/

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

Last edited by Roy_A_Lingle on Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Tan and Brown Bradley Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:07 am
    ----
I believe it is a National Guard unit in the western US.

#3: Re: Tan and Brown Bradley Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:11 am
    ----
Hi Rob! Hi Folks!

I was thinking it is the NG unit that supports the NTC, but that 89th Cav guidion has me wonder just who the unit is.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#4: Re: Tan and Brown Bradley Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:46 am
    ----
Could that be some visiting 'Living History' group not directly connected with the Army?

Never mind I just googled 89 Cavalry. It appears they are part of 10 MTN Div

#5: Re: Tan and Brown Bradley Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:09 am
    ----
Montana Army Guard. Looks like Fort Harrison outside Helena, probably 1-163rd Infantry.

#6: Re: Tan and Brown Bradley Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:22 am
    ----
Boy that Mounted Honor Gaurd brings back memories,

At Fort Riley everytime we had a major change of Command they brought out the mounted gaurd. It always sucked during the pass and review. The horses would always leave presents in the grass that we'd have to march through. Always told my troops not to waste their time with spit shines. Between the grass and the crap no could tell the difference once we marched by Laughing .

Joe D

#7: Re: Tan and Brown Bradley Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:40 am
    ----
It does look like they are part of the 10th Mountain Division. Getting their lineage from the 89th Recon Squadron. So where was the picture made? Doesn't look like Fort Drum. The NG unit that supports NTC is the 1/221 Cav, NV ANG. Formerly 221 Armor.

#8: Re: Tan and Brown Bradley Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:47 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi CIA Agents and other Folks!

www.army.mil/-images/2...9/19/8090/

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

Roy,

...on a totally tangential topic, since we're lookin' at old-fashioned horsie type Cav troopers in that pic and you've got "Old Bill" in yer avatar...there's been a lot of discussion in some quarters that the new Regimental CO over at the 11th Cav has, for reasons best understood by himself, decided to take the Rgt. back to the 1901 style Cav hat (for those that choose to go that way) at a mere cost of $180 (for those that have that lying around) relegating all those traditional black Cav hats for the serving guys obsolete. For us old guys who acquired ours in the Air Cav in Vietnam for maybe $40 (and sometimes for free) it's irrelevant, we don't have to play, but for guys on active duty budgets, it might be a different matter, especially if they're not full bird paygrades. Anyway, here's the item:

www.blackhorsestore.or...prevnext=1

I think you'll have to make do with the items I sent you a year or so ago. Sorry, Bud.

Last edited by Doug_Kibbey on Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total

#9: Re: Tan and Brown Bradley Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:47 am
    ----
More..... 3/89th Cav is part of the 4 Brigade, 10th Mountain Division Combat Team, Fort Polk, La. www.jrtc-polk.army.mil...89CAV.html

#10: Re: Tan and Brown Bradley Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:12 pm
    ----
No offense,

But ever since the 11th ACR went to Irwin (Name only, re-flagged from 177th AR BDE), they "ain't been right".

Besides, the whole stetson thing has become more of an officer thing, even armored battalion officers wear them now. Tankers in the CAV had black berets with a Cavalry Flash and DUI, Aviators wore stetsons, or this is what I was told by my NCO's that were in Germany when they still wore them. Besides, wearing a stetson in a tank would look kinda goofy. I am a fan of neither, preferring my cap, a much more practical item. But then again I still wear BDU's instead of the new fangled pajama's called ACU's.

Smile
Joe D

#11: Re: Tan and Brown Bradley Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:29 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
No offense,

But ever since the 11th ACR went to Irwin (Name only, re-flagged from 177th AR BDE), they "ain't been right".

Besides, the whole stetson thing has become more of an officer thing, even armored battalion officers wear them now. Tankers in the CAV had black berets with a Cavalry Flash and DUI, Aviators wore stetsons, or this is what I was told by my NCO's that were in Germany when they still wore them. Besides, wearing a stetson in a tank would look kinda goofy. I am a fan of neither, preferring my cap, a much more practical item. But then again I still wear BDU's instead of the new fangled pajama's called ACU's.

Smile
Joe D

Joe,
Yeah, the modern Cav hat thing started in Vietnam in the Air Cav, which is how (and where) I came by mine. I was a tanker who got reclassified in-country as 11D and sent to an Air Cav Sqdn., where I spent most of my tour. Everything after that I lost touch with (except Donn Starry introduced berets for armor personnel at Knox shortly before I ETS'ed after he replaced William Desobry as Post CO, but it was optional and I never bought into it, Cav Hats were verboten back in the 'States anyway, officially).
It's mostly a memento and VN vet thing to us olden guys, but I don't know how it spread into the "new Cav" in other sections...I been out of it too long. Berets? I don't get it...if it doesn't protect you (and your eyes) from sun or rain, what the heck's it for, anyway? Rolling Eyes
There's "duty" headgear, and "ceremonial" headgear. Whole different dealybob.

#12: Re: Tan and Brown Bradley Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:58 pm
    ----
As far as I know, the Montana Guard are the only ones with tan and brown vehicles. They used to be Opfor augmentees, but I don't think so anymore. When I was at Fort Harrison earlier this year, they still had lots of vehicles painted with this scheme.

#13: Re: Tan and Brown Bradley Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:52 pm
    ----
- Hellfish6
As far as I know, the Montana Guard are the only ones with tan and brown vehicles. They used to be Opfor augmentees, but I don't think so anymore. When I was at Fort Harrison earlier this year, they still had lots of vehicles painted with this scheme.

So this raises the question of why a 10th Division honor guard was in Montana?

#14: Re: Tan and Brown Bradley Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:18 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway

So this raises the question of why a 10th Division honor guard was in Montana?

If they are a roundout unit for 10MTN, that would explain it. It does seem stange tho that 10MTN, a leg unit, would have a Mech CAV squadron.

#15: Re: Tan and Brown Bradley Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:29 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
Berets? I don't get it...if it doesn't protect you (and your eyes) from sun or rain, what the heck's it for, anyway? Rolling Eyes
There's "duty" headgear, and "ceremonial" headgear. Whole different dealybob.

As the once proud wearer of a maroon beret, I resemble that remark... Twisted Evil Formed just right- which you US types are apparently incapable of doing- it's nice and dandy in the barracks or with your class As, and old pros could drop them in the air and have them land just right on their heads. Cool Plus, you had to earn them in the old days, you didn't get them before graduating basic and AIT.

Now, in the field, that's a wholly different matter, I usually wore my trusty old field cap there (unauthorized of course), and the visor gave a certain protection from the rain and the sun- got the evil eye from my c**t cap wearing mates, but hey, am I to blame for their inefficiency? Mr. Green

Still, a regiment of slightly dusty chaps proudly wearing their berets, packing their rucks, shouldering their rifles and walking tall during the traditional end-of-maneuvre parade made a mighty fine sight... Ooops, got some dust in my eye.

Jens O.
(shamelessly und unabashedly reminiscing)

-> AFV News Discussion Board