AAF Tank Museum #9 - M16A1 GMC, M1015A1, M114
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: AAF Tank Museum #9 - M16A1 GMC, M1015A1, M114 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:29 pm
    ----
M16A1 GMC

M1015A1 Electronic shelter vehicle

M114 - according to the museum placard, it was donated from a Pennslyvania "tank dump" - any idea where that would be? Roy, the placard also says it was fresh out of overhaul, less than 50 miles on it!

Neil

#2: Re: AAF Tank Museum #9 - M16A1 GMC, M1015A1, M114 Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:58 pm
    ----
Roy is probably unconscious... Mr. Green

Neil, would you have any further shots of the front antenna mount on the M1015A1 by any chance? Still a rather undocumented vehicle but an interesting one nonetheless.

Jens O.

#3: Re: AAF Tank Museum #9 - M16A1 GMC, M1015A1, M114 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:07 pm
    ----
Best I can do - hope this doesnt violate the photos-per-post rule... Wink

Neil

#4: Re: AAF Tank Museum #9 - M16A1 GMC, M1015A1, M114 Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:42 pm
    ----
Thank you profusely, my man. *imagine the bowing smilie here*

Jens O.

#5: Re: AAF Tank Museum #9 - M16A1 GMC, M1015A1, M114 Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:50 pm
    ----
Axles Are Removed

Wonder if they are referring to the final drives? If they were similar to the M551 it would make sense, they had drive axles that you would remove from the hub, not really a final drive, just a shaft that went stright to the transmission.

'Weed, remember the spring that always got lost if you weren't careful.

BTW, interesting gun sheild art.

Joe D

#6: Re: M1015A1 "antenna" Author: TomO PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:08 pm
    ----
The "antenna" on the front of the M1015A1 is actually a ground rod driver. It is kind of a mini piledriver to keep us electronic warfare types from having to use big hammers.

#7: Re: AAF Tank Museum #9 - M16A1 GMC, M1015A1, M114 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:52 pm
    ----
Hi Joe D! Hi Folks!

- Joe_D

Axles Are Removed

Wonder if they are referring to the final drives? If they were similar to the M551 it would make sense, they had drive axles that you would remove from the hub, not really a final drive, just a shaft that went stright to the transmission.

'Weed, remember the spring that always got lost if you weren't careful.

BTW, interesting gun sheild art.

Joe D

You are correct Joe. The disconnect between the sprocket and the steer gear was just like the Sheridan system. That's a good warning to have because without the axles in place, that vehicle has no internial braking system.

Spring? Every seen what happiens when the spring is left inside the tube for the drive shaft? Not a good thing.

Thanks Neil for the M114 shots!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#8: Re: AAF Tank Museum #9 - M16A1 GMC, M1015A1, M114 Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:08 pm
    ----
Roy,

Thanks, I kinda thought so but never knew for sure. I kinda recall a certain individual playing a trick on a certain VISMOD BMP crew at Fort Irwin. He kinda sneeked over at night, removed one of the shafts and then replaced the cover. Made for an interesting morning.

Joe D

#9: Re: AAF Tank Museum #9 - M16A1 GMC, M1015A1, M114 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:18 pm
    ----
Hi Joe! Hi Folks!

- Joe_D
Roy,
Thanks, I kinda thought so but never knew for sure. I kinda recall a certain individual playing a trick on a certain VISMOD BMP crew at Fort Irwin. He kinda sneeked over at night, removed one of the shafts and then replaced the cover. Made for an interesting morning.
Joe D

LOL! Razz Razz Razz Razz

That crew should have set the parking brake! Those shifts were a bit hard to get out when the brakes where locked up!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#10: Re: M1015A1 "antenna" Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:05 pm
    ----
- TomO
The "antenna" on the front of the M1015A1 is actually a ground rod driver. It is kind of a mini piledriver to keep us electronic warfare types from having to use big hammers.

Thanks Tom,

that was completely new to me, although with the known ineptitude of the EW types in regards to tools it does not come as a surprise. Mr. Green

Jens O.

-> AFV News Discussion Board