M1 Abrams "Hawkey Battery"
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M1 Abrams "Hawkey Battery" Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:59 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

I was lerking over at another DG site and ran acrossed something called "Hawkey Battery" that is installed on some M1A2 SEPs.

Anyone know what this thing is?
Does an M1 with this thing installed, look any different on the out side from one that doesn't have one?

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#2: Re: M1 Abrams "Hawkey Battery" Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:51 am
    ----
Searching the net I find info on [i]Hawker[i] batteries.

#3: Re: M1 Abrams "Hawkey Battery" Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:54 pm
    ----
Hi Mark! Hi Folks!

- MarkHolloway
Searching the net I find info on [i]Hawker[i] batteries.

OK, Hawker is a company that makes batteries. What does that have to do with the M1 tank?

Is the Army replacing the old type of vehicle batteries with ones made by Hawker or will they be a power source for something new?

Still confuzed. Confused
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#4: Re: M1 Abrams "Hawkey Battery" Author: ChrisC PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:29 pm
    ----
Hi Roy,

They are just batteries, but you are not supposed to mix hawkers and other types, I also think there is a voltage regulator just for the Hawkers too, nothing too exotic....

#5: Re: M1 Abrams "Hawkey Battery" Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:28 pm
    ----
The Hawker Armasafe battery is a replacement for all normal 6TL/6TM batteries, but they are only used on deployment. They work much better in the desert than do the older batteries.

The Hawker is a 12-volt Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) sealed battery - so-called maintenance-free. No more unscrewing the little caps to check the electrolyte level - just like on your POV. Also no more losing the caps, getting dirt/sand/dust into the batteries, filling with other than distilled water, etc. The Hawker battery is rechargeable and has 1250 Cold Cranking Amps.

It's just a shade larger than the old battery so it's a little harder to get it into a tight battery compartment, but it fits (it's heavier too). As Chris said, they can't be mixed with other types in the same vehicle installation.

Geoff

#6: Re: M1 Abrams "Hawkey Battery" Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:12 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

Very interesting feed back! Last week end I found I have a Hawker Battery in my house. The back up battery for the house security system had died and the system when into "there is a problem alarm mode". I found it inside the main wiring box in the hall coat closet.

Now I have another question for you M1A2 Sep experts! Please look over these two pictures.

My question for you experts is:
1. Is this a Ver 1 or Ver 2 Sep?
2. Why do you say it is a Ver 1 or Ver 2?

Notice the tape over the Brigade marking. You can see the Armored Division symbol just to the right of engineer stake for carrying a roll of wire and the Company, vehicle number over at the right edge.

It's three hours passed my bedtime, get back to you all tonight after I get to work and have some spare time to surf the internet.
Good Night All!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board