M48A5 Patton at the Armed Forces Retirement Home
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M48A5 Patton at the Armed Forces Retirement Home Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:36 pm
    ----
This is my next objective. I wasnt able to get in today (looks like I need to try & call ahead to see if I can get in), but was able to take some through-fence shots... I at least confirmed that they have an M48 Patton - can anyone tell if it is an A5 model? Only tank in DC I am aware of...

Neil

Last edited by Neil_Baumgardner on Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: M48 Patton at the Armed Forces Retirement Home Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:56 pm
    ----
It's been upgunned, but the cupola is not right for an A5. I'd have to check about the air cleaners and such, but I have my doubts about those.

#3: Re: M48 Patton at the Armed Forces Retirement Home Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:05 pm
    ----
I remember once looking through an M48A5 TM and it mentioned a version with this cupola. All of the ones I ever saw were the low-profile cupola. But I do believe this is an M48A5 with the cupola that was on the A3.

#4: Re: M48 Patton at the Armed Forces Retirement Home Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:57 pm
    ----
Yes, it's an early A5. The A5 was basicly a M48A3 MOD B with a 105MM. The ones with the Urdan cupola were a M48A5PI.

#5: Re: M48 Patton at the Armed Forces Retirement Home Author: binder001 PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:22 pm
    ----
Interesting shots. I didn't know any of the early M48A5s got saved. When the weather and sun angles allow, how about some frontal shots?

Thanks for posting

#6: Re: M48 Patton at the Armed Forces Retirement Home Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:37 pm
    ----
This one is rare,

IAW the TM only SN's 3001 to 3374 came with the Modified (bulged hatch) M1 cupola. She definately was a former A3, still has the 90mm travel lock. Air cleaners are correct for an early A5 too, Even the 4 tone paint is period to include the black star. Surpised she survived the big AVLB conversion/production at Anniston for the Division '86 requirements. Great find Neil !

If you can, get the SN to see if the TM is correct, should be the same place as the M60.

Joe D

#7: Re: M48 Patton at the Armed Forces Retirement Home Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:28 pm
    ----
The problem wasnt the sun & angles but access! You normally cant get inside the retirement home grounds unless you are a resident or a visitor... So I took those pics through a fence...

I'll try to call their public affairs folks this week to see if I can somehow get in - maybe this weekend if they'll let me...

FWIW, TACOM says the SN is 554.

Neil

#8: Re: M48 Patton at the Armed Forces Retirement Home Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:28 pm
    ----
BTW, I just got set up to check this out tomorrow afternoon.

Neil

#9: Re: M48 Patton at the Armed Forces Retirement Home Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:32 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
This one is rare,

IAW the TM only SN's 3001 to 3374 came with the Modified (bulged hatch) M1 cupola. She definately was a former A3, still has the 90mm travel lock. Air cleaners are correct for an early A5 too, Even the 4 tone paint is period to include the black star. Surpised she survived the big AVLB conversion/production at Anniston for the Division '86 requirements. Great find Neil !

If you can, get the SN to see if the TM is correct, should be the same place as the M60.

You hit the nail on the head as always Joe - this one is SN A3008.

I couldnt find an RN painted on it anywhere, except for "008" which (partially) matches the SN.

Neil

#10: Re: M48A5 Patton at the Armed Forces Retirement Home Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:57 am
    ----
Thanks for the update Neil,

We can assume this is the 8th M48A5 made. Makes me wonder if She came from Aberdeen after the school house finished with her. Would explain the low number and the great condition She's in. I'm not tracking M48A5's like I do the 60 series but I don't think any of the others still around are the early models with the M1 cupola. Might be one of a very small number left (Maybe the only one Shocked ).

Joe D

#11: Re: M48A5 Patton at the Armed Forces Retirement Home Author: Tom_Willoughby PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:01 pm
    ----
My unit actually used one like that for a weekend gunnery at Indiantown Gap in PA. It was the mid 80s. The tanks belonged to the PA Guard. So some of them did end up in Reserve units. Most of the 48A5s I saw or crewed had low profile cupolas, and top loading aluminum air cleaners. In the late 80s right before we gave up the 48s some new rebuilds arrived at Fort Drum MATES, they had top loading armored air cleaners and non directional tracks. Rumor had it that these were slated for DIVAD chassis but after the program had been cancel they stayed tanks.

Tom Willoughby

#12: Re: M48A5 Patton at the Armed Forces Retirement Home Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:28 pm
    ----
Hey Tom,

One of those FT Drum 48's you mention is now a static display outside Chattannooga TN. Thought you'd like to know.

Joe D

#13: Re: M48A5 Patton at the Armed Forces Retirement Home Author: Tom_Willoughby PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:15 pm
    ----
Joe,

Thats a better fate then a lot of them got dumped in the ocean as artificial reefs. M60s and M551s as well. It was called Reef EX. Quite a shame.

Tom

#14: Re: M48A5 Patton at the Armed Forces Retirement Home Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:52 pm
    ----
BTW, I just got an e-mail from a gentleman who appears to have been tracking AFVs in the VA/DC/MD/PA area since the 90s (in some cases the 70s!). According to him there is an M47 Patton in a DC playground I need to go investigate.

He also identified an M60A3 in Grasonville MD, and M114s in Cumberland and Gaithersburg MD. I am incorporating into register V3.0...

Neil

#15: Re: M48A5 Patton at the Armed Forces Retirement Home Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:43 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
BTW, I just got an e-mail from a gentleman who appears to have been tracking AFVs in the VA/DC/MD/PA area since the 90s (in some cases the 70s!). According to him there is an M47 Patton in a DC playground I need to go investigate.

He also identified an M60A3 in Grasonville MD, and M114s in Cumberland and Gaithersburg MD. I am incorporating into register V3.0...

Neil

Neil - I can check on Gaithersburg at lunchtime if you send me an address. And I have family contacts in Grasonville if you have at least a partial location (It ain't that big a place Rolling Eyes )

-> AFV News Discussion Board