PreservedTanks.com
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#106: Re: PreservedTanks.com Author: west-frontLocation: Australia PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:01 am
    ----
Posted in error Please delete

Last edited by west-front on Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total

#107: Re: PreservedTanks.com Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:33 pm
    ----
west-front, do you have any photo's of it I could use for PreservedTanks.com?

Meanwhile, continuing the Churchill theme, I've added three more tanks to the Normandy section, all Churchills:

Hill 112: preservedtanks.com/Loc...5&Select=4
Graye-sur-Mer: preservedtanks.com/Loc...0&Select=4
Lion-sur-Mer: preservedtanks.com/Loc...5&Select=4

It takes about an evening to do each tank, so I must try to find a faster way to do it! Most of that, though, is tracking down the web links for the location entry, partly because some are very interesting and I get sidetracked. I am also developing the idea I mentioned a few weeks back of expanding the history behind the tanks - in that case it was about 2DB Shermans, but in looking up the Lion Churchill I found a couple of very interesting pictures of Churchills at Lion on D-Day. Of course, we'll never know if it's the same Churchill, so they've not been added to the tank's own photo's, but adding them to the location photo's seems appropriate and helps give some context:

preservedtanks.com/Pho...5&Select=4

I'll aim to develop this idea further.

#108: Posted in error Please delete Author: west-frontLocation: Australia PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:27 pm
    ----

Last edited by west-front on Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total

#109: Re: PreservedTanks.com Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:10 pm
    ----
Yep, certainly looks like the same one, I'd appreciate scans of the originals.

You travelled a long way to get to Beltring - other business over here?

#110: Posted in error Please delete Author: west-frontLocation: Australia PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:07 am
    ----

Last edited by west-front on Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total

#111: Re: PreservedTanks.com Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:14 pm
    ----
Just got back from holiday.

Do I understand it right - we've lost all posts since June?!

#112: Re: PreservedTanks.com Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:23 pm
    ----
Yep.

Although you may be able to find some of the threads via google cache...

Neil

#113: Re: PreservedTanks.com Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:15 pm
    ----
That's upsetting.

I've found some of this thread here, but I don't know how to get the rest of it:

74.125.93.132/search?q...6p%3D82843

Neil, any advice on searching in the cache?

#114: Re: PreservedTanks.com Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:55 pm
    ----
Sorry, that's about as good as it gets... Normally I would also suggest trying archive.org - but this site blocks robots so that wont work...

Neil

#115: Re: PreservedTanks.com Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:13 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
Just got back from holiday.

Do I understand it right - we've lost all posts since June?!

Okay whose brilliant idea was it to chain us to a site that only does backups every six months???

#116: Re: PreservedTanks.com Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:15 pm
    ----
I've done some major code changes at PreservedTanks.com over the weekend. The most obvious thing is that the bulk of tank type names are now hyperlinks, and the bulk of location category names are also now hyperlinks.

What that means is that if you see a listing for a collection that has a Panther Tank, then clicking on Panther Tank will take you to a page listing all Panther Tanks in the database. Equally, if you are looking at a list of Panther Tanks then clicking on one listed for Bovington will take you to a page listing all tanks at Bovington in the database.

As an example, in the recent listing of vehicles at Quantico:

Quantico

if you now click on the name Type 95 Ha-Go Light Tank then you will search the database for all Ha-Gos:

Preserved Ha-Go Light Tanks

In that page if you then click on the name U.S. Army Ordnance Museum you will search the database for all vehicles at Aberdeen:

Aberdeen Proving Ground

And so on - I think it will encourage more people to explore the database further. Any feedback is appreciated, particularly if you see any bugs.

#117: Re: PreservedTanks.com Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:50 pm
    ----
Although I'm not 'officially' working on the Muckleburgh collection I've decided to upload my photos (largely prompted by my discovery of the stamping on the Pz 61 and the subsequent discussion). The text will follow at a later date, when I have more time to work on it.

The first 60 or so photos are up, covering the Panzer 57, Panzer 61, Churchill and Chieftain:

Preserved Tanks in the Muckleburgh Collection (no text)

A quick look at that page should show Joe's influence pretty clearly - it was the first collection I photographed with a 'Joe stick'! It takes more effort, but I love the result.

The Chieftain seems a bit schizophrenic - I've double-checked my photos and it definitely carries two different registration numbers.

Last edited by TrevorLarkum on Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

#118: Re: PreservedTanks.com Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:47 pm
    ----
Added another 75 photo's covering the M47, Scorpion, Tracked Rapier, FV438 Swingfire, T-34-85 and Pz 68:

Preserved Tanks in the Muckleburgh Collection (no text)

I was particularly pleased to get the interior shots of the T-34 and Swingfire.

#119: Re: PreservedTanks.com Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:49 pm
    ----
Another 100+ pictures uploaded, covering the AMX-13, M5A1, M24, Grizzly, Sexton and another Scorpion. While the serial number of the M47 is pretty clear, I've struggled to make out the others.

#120: Re: PreservedTanks.com Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:10 pm
    ----
It with great pleasure I announce a major upgrade to PreservedTanks.com. It's taken nearly two months. I've discussed some basic details with Massimo and Pierre-Olivier but it's only just gone live in the last few minutes.

Quick Summary:

In a nutshell:
1. Each tank in the database now has a record of all the locations it has been in (so far as known).
2. The profile web page for each tank now includes a Google map showing these locations, linked together in the order the tank was at each location.
3. Each tank 'starts its life' at a particular manufacturer/factory location.
4. These manufacturer/factory locations are also detailed in the Model information pages for each tank type.

Some good examples, where a fair bit is known about a particular tank's travels:

UID1: Queensland A7V (zoom in on the part in Europe to see its time in service)

UID72: Bovington Tiger (zoom in on the part in Africa to see its time in service)

UID84: APG Elefant

-> AFV News Discussion Board