Help Needed - Old Mystery Tank from Bovington
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Help Needed - Old Mystery Tank from Bovington Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:29 pm
    ----
I am working on the UK AFV Register right now... I am currently going through the Bovington collection, which is obviously considerable.

This "mystery tank" was previously on display outside the museum, where I think the Churchill Mk II is displayed now... It was VISMODed to look like a T-72, complete with wooden blocks to look like ERA.

I believe it was previously identified to be some form of a Vickers MBT, perhaps a Mk 4???

Can anyone help with this one?

Neil

#2: Re: Help Needed - Old Mystery Tank from Bovington Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:19 pm
    ----
Thats the Centurion MMWR Target vehicle...

#3: Re: Help Needed - Old Mystery Tank from Bovington Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:46 pm
    ----
Thanks Jim.

Any idea what happened to the Vickers MBT prototypes? I found one discussion on the British Army Rumour Service that appeared to indicate the Mk 7 wound up on the Lulworth range...

Neil

#4: Re: Help Needed - Old Mystery Tank from Bovington Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:21 am
    ----
As far as I am aware its still in storage at Bovington. I'll check next time I'm down there...

#5: Re: Help Needed - Old Mystery Tank from Bovington Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:22 am
    ----
As far as I am aware its still in storage at Bovington. I'll check next time I'm down there...

#6: Re: Help Needed - Old Mystery Tank from Bovington Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:50 am
    ----
Well, thats probably more reliable than what I read. I had never heard of the Vickers Mk 7 being in the Bovington collection.

BTW, I didnt see "Chieftain 1000" listed on your site?:
www.yorkshireairmuseum....asp?id=21

Neil

#7: Re: Help Needed - Old Mystery Tank from Bovington Author: Dubliner PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:33 pm
    ----
Neil,

I spoke with David Fletcher about this VISMOD 4-5 years ago. Its just a mock-up built of a mix of available pieces and parts. It was used for testing radars and other types of sensors. There is nothing inside. I believe it was intended to represent a T-80, or what NATO experts at the time believed the T-80 was going to look like.

Chris.

#8: Re: Help Needed - Old Mystery Tank from Bovington Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:43 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner

BTW, I didnt see "Chieftain 1000" listed on your site?:
www.yorkshireairmuseum....asp?id=21

Lets just say its provenance is 'suspect' - even more so when nobody is actually allowed to examine it...

#9: Re: Help Needed - Old Mystery Tank from Bovington Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:57 pm
    ----
Any idea what to call it then? Wink

Neil

#10: Re: Help Needed - Old Mystery Tank from Bovington Author: jch_in_uk PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:27 am
    ----
- JimWeb

I'm afraid it's no Centurion, the "mystery tank" has seven road wheels for a start.

Further to previous posts, I understand it was designed to test vehicle ID systems, before things like real T-72s became readily available.

The British also fitted dummy ERA blocks to a T-62, which was shown in public at least once.

According to rumours the British have a real T-80 in a defence establishment these days.

#11: Re: Help Needed - Old Mystery Tank from Bovington Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:57 am
    ----
- jch_in_uk
- JimWeb

I'm afraid it's no Centurion, the "mystery tank" has seven road wheels for a start.

Further to previous posts, I understand it was designed to test vehicle ID systems, before things like real T-72s became readily available.

Look - as its made from Centurion parts as far as the rest of the armoured world is concerned its a Centurion. And it was actually made as a target to test a millimetre-wave-radar targeting system.

#12: Re: Help Needed - Old Mystery Tank from Bovington Author: jch_in_uk PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:15 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
- jch_in_uk
- JimWeb

Look - as its made from Centurion parts as far as the rest of the armoured world is concerned its a Centurion. And it was actually made as a target to test a millimetre-wave-radar targeting system.

Mmm, an odd logic.

And quite who is or are "the rest of the armoured world"?

You? Rolling Eyes

#13: Re: Help Needed - Old Mystery Tank from Bovington Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:17 pm
    ----
Hmmm - perhaps you should stick to Tardis and Volkswagen Golf identification John?

#14: Re: Help Needed - Old Mystery Tank from Bovington Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:25 pm
    ----
Guys, I'm not a moderator, but can we please keep it civil? Agree to disagree, whatever... There's a lot of people on here with good knowledge & information (sometimes with differing views), and I'd like to keep it that way. Just my $0.02...

Neil

#15: Re: Help Needed - Old Mystery Tank from Bovington Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:43 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Guys, I'm not a moderator, but can we please keep it civil? Agree to disagree, whatever... There's a lot of people on here with good knowledge & information (sometimes with differing views), and I'd like to keep it that way. Just my $0.02...

Neil

You are, nonetheless, quite right, Neil and I thank you for your comments, which I completely support.

D.

-> AFV News Discussion Board