Detailed photos of the Panther G at Saumur
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Detailed photos of the Panther G at Saumur Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:57 pm
    ----

Webshot gallery showing Saumur Tank Museum's Panther Ausf. G, the spare parts, the interior, gearbox, engine etc..

Some galleries showing the vehicles from the museum, sorted by rooms (WW1 room, France 1940 room, German vehicles room, comtemporary vehicles room etc..)
Let me know if you find some mistakes..

More to come !!

P-O

#2: Re: Detailed photos of the Panther G at Saumur Author: recceboyLocation: Edmonton,Alberta PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:22 am
    ----
Thanks for posting them

#3: Re: Detailed photos of the Panther G at Saumur Author: Russ_Buchan PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:01 pm
    ----
Yo, all you Panther guys:

On some of the posts here, and on "Tank Overhaul", I noticed a tiny rubber-tired wheel on the Panther whose function escapes me. It looks as though it is mounted behind the drive sprocket, rather high on the hull, is very small, and appears to be meant to be moved by the passage of the track as it goes overhead. What on earth is that thing? Odometer? Headlamp dynamo? Help!

Russ the clueless CIA

#4: Re: Detailed photos of the Panther G at Saumur Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:02 pm
    ----
Russ I believe that the wheel you are refering to is in fact a track return roller. one per side HTH

Piney

#5: Re: Detailed photos of the Panther G at Saumur Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:11 pm
    ----
Hi Russ! Hi Folks!

- Russ_Buchan

I noticed a tiny rubber-tired wheel on the Panther whose function escapes me. It looks as though it is mounted behind the drive sprocket, rather high on the hull, is very small, and appears to be meant to be moved by the passage of the track as it goes overhead. What on earth is that thing?

Track Block 101:
When the sprocket is pulling forward, the slack we see on the top run of track block is reduced. That slack is transferred out in front of the spocket and in front of the first set of road wheels.

When the sprocket is placed into reverse, any slack in the track is pulled out from under the first set of road wheels and transferred behind the sprocket and layed out between it and the idler wheel.

On the Panther, the height of the top of the sprocket above the first road wheel CAN be a problem when the vehicle is trying to back up and even more of a problem when the vehicle is also turning. To much slack CAN develope on the top and the block will hang onto the sprocket until there is enough pull from the idler wheel. To much slack between the idler wheel and the sprocket and the track block will hang onto the sprocket teeth and go down into the gap between the back side of the sprocket and the first road wheel. That little support roller just behind the sprocket prevents the track block from wraping around the sprocket and causing problems. It wasn't on the first Panthers and was a MWO added to later production vehicles based on lessons learned the hard way by troops in the field.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#6: Re: Detailed photos of the Panther G at Saumur Author: Russ_Buchan PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:08 am
    ----
Thank you, Roy!

Russ

-> AFV News Discussion Board