seen on I-65 headed south
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: seen on I-65 headed south Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:40 pm
    ----
Seen on I-65 headed south.....

#2: Re: seen on I-65 headed south Author: JaredLocation: Wherever the army sends me PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:41 am
    ----
Marine Corp MaxxPro

#3: Re: seen on I-65 headed south Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:10 am
    ----
Is that one of the proposed vehicles to replace the Hummer?

#4: Re: seen on I-65 headed south Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:56 am
    ----
I think it's one of those mine-resistant MRAP's. Looks odd to me that INTERNATIONAL was able to leave their logo on the hood.

#5: Re: seen on I-65 headed south Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:01 am
    ----
I saw several of these, spread out along the road...not a convoy, just every couple hours Iwould see one on a trailer..

#6: Re: seen on I-65 headed south Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:40 am
    ----
- MarkHolloway
I think it's one of those mine-resistant MRAP's. Looks odd to me that INTERNATIONAL was able to leave their logo on the hood.
Why? HEMTTs, HMMWVs, most engineer/construction vehicles use their logos on US Military vehicles. Most of the MRAP vehicles were privately developed and we purchased them off-the-shelf, so to speak.

#7: Re: seen on I-65 headed south Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:19 pm
    ----
- Sabot
- MarkHolloway
Why? HEMTTs, HMMWVs, most engineer/construction vehicles use their logos on US Military vehicles. Most of the MRAP vehicles were privately developed and we purchased them off-the-shelf, so to speak.

I guess I mean because it's not a 'tactical' color like most brands on Army vehicles.

#8: Re: seen on I-65 headed south Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:12 pm
    ----
Very few units really worry about subdued emblems in Iraq.

Most of the time they do the exact opposite. Kinda hard not to be noticed when the majority are running with white light and reflective markings for IFF. It all depends on your mission.

Here's an example of not being tactical.

Maybe it was meant to scare folks.

Joe D

#9: Re: seen on I-65 headed south Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:02 am
    ----
Since it's an OTS purchase, they manufacture them with the full color logo, but if it survives long enough to ever be repainted, the logo will be painted over by the unit.

#10: Re: seen on I-65 headed south Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:29 am
    ----
UPS is the only fleet operator that I know of that specifies in their RFPs for vehicles that there will be no vendor branding on the vehicle. Look at any of their Semis going down the road you very seldom see the trucks brand on it. The few you do see are ones where fendors or grills were replaced with off the shelf components (Sterling trucks have the Logo designed in the grill. They actually redesigned the grill for the production runs of UPS vehicles but sometimes OTS ones are installed during field repairs.)

Oh and UPS owns the formula for the UPS brown color and does not allow it to be used by anyone (I remember the story of a model railroad company that tried to produce a UPS truck in HO scale. They eventually gave up after negotiating (fighting Rolling Eyes ) with UPS lawyers.

#11: Re: seen on I-65 headed south Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:25 am
    ----
Bob,

I remember that. Shame too because many would love one for their set. I think there are a few that skirt the issue because they only produce on demand and sorta Nod Nod, Wink, Wink about what they offer. Gone are the days when corporations were glad to get free advertisement, instead letting their legal department milk as much money from the toy/model company as they can, passing the price on to the consumer. Fine if your a major player like Mattel, sucks for the model industry who risk enough just tooling up.

Joe D

#12: Re: seen on I-65 headed south Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:41 pm
    ----
Coolest wheeled vehicle I had personal use of in the Army (and I was licensed for everything up to deuce-and-a-half) was an International Harvester "Scout". (I discount the 389" Pontiac Bonneville ambulance, since others drove it too). Off the shelf, a kind of grey color, not OD. Best ride the Armor Board had.

Only thing I liked better from I-H was the Farmall-A of sainted memory. Got a few hours on those, too. Laughing (and still know where I can drive a couple. The "cub" was cute, but not the same as an "A". Used to have tractor races on what used to be dirt roads around Hurdle Mills, NC. (John Deere were loveable, but narrow track front wheels made them a liability in a "race").

International Harvester Farmall A

Note: Not "mine resistant".

#13: Re: seen on I-65 headed south Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:51 pm
    ----
Got any pictures of this "Scout"?

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board