Somali pirates hijacked a ship with 30 T72s enroute to Kenya
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Somali pirates hijacked a ship with 30 T72s enroute to Kenya Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:10 am
    ----
Story on the news today has a band of pirates on board a Ukranian ship somewhere off the coast of Somali, holding the cargo for ransom. It is unusual because the contents are T72 tanks, spares and ammo enroute to Kenya. All on the up and up, but just a strange cargo for the journalists to get excited about. My bets are the ship doesn't get to port before it is sunk out from underneath the crooks.

#2: Re: Somali pirates hijacked a ship with 30 T72s enroute to K Author: buglerbilly PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:26 pm
    ----
As interesting is the fact it was destined for Kenya.

I didn't know they had T-72's but rather Vickers types.

Regards,

BUG

#3: Re: Somali pirates hijacked a ship with 30 T72s enroute to K Author: buglerbilly PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:44 pm
    ----
Just answered my own question, from Wikipedia......

T-72: 110 from Ukraine in 2007 with more planned for delivery in 2008. 33 T-72's ordered from Ukraine were hijacked by Somalian pirates

Regards,

BUG

#4: Re: Somali pirates hijacked a ship with 30 T72s enroute to Kenya Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:18 pm
    ----
It just amazes me how these bloody Pirates are able to take on these ships.

I guess it shows the difference in approach civilians have towards security watch as opposed to the military. I just can't see a boat(s) approaching unnoticed to board these ships unless a crew member was in on it. One good pair of night vision goggles and a 24 hour watch should stop all this. Issue a quality "Hunting Rifles" with the proper optics and the fun would start.

Pirates, Terrorists, Hi-Jackers, all the same to me, no trail, just a quick execution at High Seas in international waters and problem solved.

Joe D

#5: Re: Somali pirates hijacked a ship with 30 T72s enroute to Kenya Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:59 am
    ----
Speaking carefully here, the shipping lanes are optimized for speed and fuel economy. The master has an owner who wants his ship delivering cargo. The shipping lanes off Somalia have been bumped further offshore to put more open ocean between the coast, the speed boats, the mother ships and the potential prey.

The typical self-protection methods are high speed, nothing hanging over the side, high pressure hoses, full running lights, calling contacts on open frequencies, and hope. The masters don't authorize any use of force, because word would spread and terrorists being spiteful, would find revenge. Instead of AK fire or grappling hooks, it will be RPGs to the wheelhouse, and the force escalates. Instead of locking the crew in a cabin, they'll be killed. Don't put it past these criminals to bring Recoilless Rifles to a knife fight next time.

I disagree that collusion must be a contributing factor. The average merchant crew are Phillipinos, Koreans or Pakistanis. But I agree that aimed rifle fire and plenty of it, would be a simple subtraction exercise.

#6: Re: Somali pirates hijacked a ship with 30 T72s enroute to Kenya Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:31 pm
    ----
noted in the news today that the pirates press spokesman(?, guess everybody has to have one nowadays) said they would be willing to fight if anyone tried to stop them. My only question would be the easiest way to sink the tub, aircraft, gunfire or torpedoes. good riddance to the pirates. If this happened a few times I bet the incidence of piracy would go waaaay down

Piney

#7: Re: Somali pirates hijacked a ship with 30 T72s enroute to Kenya Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:49 pm
    ----
Spokesman huh,

I guess next they'll be going to the UN to be granted combatant status.

That way when they start getting their A**es kicked they can run to them and get a cease fire arranged, like all these other groups in the world. Then they get legitimized and now a have bargaining rights when in reality they are nothing more than thieves and criminals with some deluded followers.

Oh well, it's all a matter of business with the owners, cheaper to pay and not fight right now compared to how many ships get through.

Joe D

#8: Re: Somali pirates hijacked a ship with 30 T72s enroute to K Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:33 am
    ----
I have a couple of friends who sailed the China Seas, Strait of Malacca and the waters around Indonesia, Philippines and PNG in the early 90's. Piracy was on an all time high at the time so they had shotguns and pistols stored in the hold and they had around the clock guard duty. They even considered a deck mounted 0.50 cal. M2HB but the ship would have then been classified as a war ship and that would have complicated things beyond belief.

Nothing happened to them, not even the smallest incident, but they were told they were lucky.

#9: Re: Somali pirates hijacked a ship with 30 T72s enroute to K Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:30 am
    ----
Rikard said:

They even considered a deck mounted 0.50 cal. M2HB but the ship would have then been classified as a war ship and that would have complicated things beyond belief.

I didn't even think of that, makes sense. Who would want a ship coming into their port decked out with heavy weapons.

Big question, with the cargo being tanks, why wasn't there some sort of security detachment/ guard force assigned to protect it? Whenever the US ships stuff like this we send a detachment of Soldiers/Marines/Security on board. I would have hoped the Kenyan or Ukrainian Government would have had a team to travel with the equipment. Chalk it up to lessons learned.

Joe D

#10: Re: Somali pirates hijacked a ship with 30 T72s enroute to Kenya Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:34 pm
    ----
When the Canadians redeployed from Kosovo in '00 after an initial deployment and one roto, they chartered a big Roll On Roll Off oceangoing ferry. Everything from AFVs to containers of ammunition went on board. The prudent thinkers put three grunts on too. They had no ROEs for the ship, just that the cargo wasn't tampered.

Well, the company and its chartering company got into an argument with a third party, and the master refused to put into port. After turning circles in the ocean for two weeks, the ship was boarded by a naval boarding party. The rest of the trip was peaceful. It was called Operation Megaphone for people who track these things.

#11: Re: Somali pirates hijacked a ship with 30 T72s enroute to Kenya Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am
    ----
I saw a report on another website that the tanks as well as the other equipment on the ship (ammunition, RPGs, small arms, etc) were destined to the 'South Somali Army' a breakaway faction in Somalia and only transiting through Kenya.

#12: Re: Somali pirates hijacked a ship with 30 T72s enroute to Kenya Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:00 am
    ----
South Sudan

Neil

#13: Re: Somali pirates hijacked a ship with 30 T72s enroute to Kenya Author: Jim_Coles PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:29 am
    ----
I note a news article that quotes the pirate leader as saying his men were prepared to fight to the death. Between the US and Russian ships keeping an eye on them, perhaps there are some Marines/Naval Spetsnaz that could accommodate them?

#14: Re: Somali pirates hijacked a ship with 30 T72s enroute to Kenya Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:52 am
    ----
Since direct action (while in the spotlight) would give more publicity to the 'lower life forms' (ie pirates/terrorists, whatever), let them enjoy the 15 minutes of fame.

Then, after things calm down...

let the UAV's quietly patrol, aquire certain targets, and observe as the targets are dispatched to the after life.

Case closed

ALTHOUGH... A highly public Special Ops 'HIT', does have its benefits.

Don

#15: Re: Somali pirates hijacked a ship with 30 T72s enroute to Kenya Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:12 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
South Sudan

Neil

You're right

I need to start paying more attention to that part of the world. Just found out the other night that my son at Ft Gordon will be deploying to Djibouti in the spring

-> AFV News Discussion Board