Armor near Anaheim?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Armor near Anaheim? Author: junglejim65 PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:55 am
    ----
I'll defer to the experts here - we're doing the standard Family trip to Disneyland in a couple weeks. Any armor close by I can sneak off to see? (not necessarily Museums, but any type - Veteran's Lodges etc). So close to Littlefields - yet so far... Laughing ) Most likely be renting a car, but if not - walkable range?

TIA,
Jim

#2: Re: Armor near Anaheim? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:55 pm
    ----
I lived in that area for a year and I don't remember anything. If you had all day you could go to the Patton Museum at Chiriaco Summit on Interstate 10. It's about 144 miles. I wonder what Camp Pendleton has now? That would be closer.

#3: Re: Armor near Anaheim? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:07 pm
    ----
The collection at El Monte still accessable? That would be reasonably nearby. I notice the website is down this morning, so I'd give them a call first.

1918 North Rosemead Boulevard
South El Monte California
Phone 626 442-1776
Fax 626 443-1776

#4: Re: Armor near Anaheim? Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:45 pm
    ----
Here's the link to the El Monte Museum:

members.aol.com/tankland/museum.htm

They're about 45 minutes North of Anaheim, depending on traffic, and are open Friday-Sunday. Good place run by a good guy!

#5: Re: Armor near Anaheim? Author: junglejim65 PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:58 am
    ----
Thanks for the info. Turns out we'll probably rent a car and drive to San Diego on one of the days, and I see the route goes by/through Camp Pendleton. Would like to stop by there, but wondering how hard it would be for a Canuckian civvie and Family to get in...

Cheers,
Jim

#6: Re: Armor near Anaheim? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:56 am
    ----
Jim,
Yeah, definately call ahead to one of the museums at Pendleton. You DOOO have the USA AFV Register right?... You can dowload it from one of the top threads. It has links to all the museums & listings of what's where...

Neil

#7: Re: Armor near Anaheim? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:16 pm
    ----
FYI, what I do on such a road trip is look at the appropriate state in the register and plot distances & locations in Google Maps.

So here's your options, with distances from Anaheim:

South Gate: M60A3 in a park ~ 22 miles (northwest)

South El Monte: American Society of Military History Museum ~ 25 miles (north - recommend calling ahead first)

Chino: Planes of Fame Museum & Yanks Air Museum ~30 miles (northeast)

Riverside: 2 LVTs ~36 miles (northeast)

Camp Pendleton ~50 miles (south)

San Diego: M47 Patton at an ARNG Armory

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board