Maybach engine
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Maybach engine Author: WimD.Location: The Netherlands PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:09 pm
    ----
Hi,

I have a question about the Maybach engine. These engines used low octane 74 gasoline and they had a low compression ratio 6,8 : 1.

Today we all use higher octane gasoline (95 or more) and today most engines have a compression ratio about 10 : 1 or higher.

This higher octane gasoline will prevent knocking/pinging and pre-ignition on the Maybach engine but it will give some problems: more engine deposits both in the combustion chamber and in the engine oil, starting up the cold engine will be not easy and some say it will cause a performance drop!

How does the Littlefield-team salve these problems? For sure they use up to date spark plugs, but what else? Higher compression pistons? Then more power, I think no problem for this engine-design. Or lower octane gasoline is used?

Regards,
Wim

#2: Re: Maybach engine Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:21 pm
    ----
I really can't answer any of your questions...yet. However, regular unleaded gas here in the U.S. is 87 Octane, at least that's what I buy for my POS Jetta.

When I'm giving one of the tours at the MVTF on Saturday, I'll see if anyone is available to answer your questions.

#3: Re: Maybach engine Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:03 am
    ----
From what I understand the only difference in octane rating is it's ability to prevent 'pinging' (knocking). Aside from that there is no difference. The oil companies don't want you to know that. If the engine knocks you might change the timing a little.

#4: Re: Maybach engine Author: JWB2 PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:41 am
    ----
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline

-> AFV News Discussion Board