T23 Medium Tank (W/ Electric Drive)
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: T23 Medium Tank (W/ Electric Drive) Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:54 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
P-O,
I realized I forgot a couple - before this one got turned around

Neil

Neil,

thanks for the pics, I already added one of those which you published before on this forum, in the "Pre-1945 rare tanks and prototypes" PDF file, which can be downloaded from my website.

Will these tanks been restored to display condition? The running gears of the 2 tanks are/were dismounted, do somebody know why?

kind regards,

Pierre-Olivier

#17: Re: T23 Medium Tank (W/ Electric Drive) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:44 am
    ----
P-O,
Unfortunately I dont think there's a whole lot of interest in these two - at least for the time being...

Neil

#18: Re: T23 Medium Tank (W/ Electric Drive) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:51 am
    ----
The two T23s at Aberdeen cqame out from 'behind the fence' At least one looks like it was used as an observation or camera location (The mantlet has been replaced with a clear panel)

The condition they are in is the condition they came off the range in. The last time I checked there are no plans on restoring them and there was some idea of using them as donor vehicles for suspension parts. So far there has been nothing done with them

I have been vocal with staff up there with my opinion that these two are significant vehicles and should be retained.

How many T23s are left?

#19: Re: T23 Medium Tank (W/ Electric Drive) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:17 am
    ----
Just three AFAIK. As I have said before, even a fairly cosmetic restoration could be done using a 76mm Sherman gun without the muzzle brake. I've recommended that at least one should be restored FWIW...

Neil

#20: Re: T23 Medium Tank (W/ Electric Drive) Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:07 pm
    ----
- bsmart
The last time I checked there are no plans on restoring them and there was some idea of using them as donor vehicles for suspension parts

I hope that they will not be used as donor vehicles, because one day there will be some interest about these very rare vehicles and they will be undoubtely restored.. there are so many Shermans around that it is not very difficult to find running gear parts, so please let these two in their current condition !!!

P-O

#21: Re: T23 Medium Tank (W/ Electric Drive) Author: nickmorgan PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:20 pm
    ----
Both have been moved to the NACM at Ft Benning.

#22: Re: T23 Medium Tank (W/ Electric Drive) Author: GT98 PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:22 am
    ----
I shot the two at APG back 2 years ago before they got moved...

picasaweb.google.com/1...directlink

#23: Re: T23 Medium Tank (W/ Electric Drive) Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:51 am
    ----
GT98, Thanks for sharing your photos. Here's a few I shot in 1986, prior to them taking roadwheels and tracks for other vehicles. Rick

#24: Re: T23 Medium Tank (W/ Electric Drive) Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:57 am
    ----
Here's the T23 Pilot 1 at Aberdeen being tested. (circa 1940's).

#25: Re: T23 Medium Tank (W/ Electric Drive) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:04 pm
    ----
Not sure that last pic has a T23 in it - but is that the LT-35 or are my eyes deceiving me?

#26: Re: T23 Medium Tank (W/ Electric Drive) Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:15 pm
    ----
Neil,
Pilot 1 of the T23 is what you see. Not the best photo, but it's got turret turned in travel mode and is in front of the M4 it will run the track with at Aberdeen. See attached photos. Rick

-> AFV News Discussion Board