All users of the Google Chrome browser banned!?
-> Suggestion Box

#1: All users of the Google Chrome browser banned!? Author: MarcusWendel PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:30 pm
    ----
Are you aware of that all visitors of the Google Chrome browser are unable to access the site and forum? All you see is a text saying "You are banned from this site due to a unknown user-agent."

/Marcus

Last edited by MarcusWendel on Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: All users of the Google Chrome browser banned!? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:32 pm
    ----
Yeah, it's a problem with the browser Marcus.
Google keep messing about with the way it's compiled so many, many, forums keep having to reconfigure how their security is configured to accept the new version.
It's not just C-C.
We have plans to allow C-C to accept the Chrome browser but, while they're still mucking about with it so much and so often, it's beyond the means of the forums modest resources to keep up.
Once they slow down, we'll get round to it.
Hope this doesn't spoil your enjoyment of Com-Central.
Smile

#3: Re: All users of the Google Chrome browser banned!? Author: MarcusWendel PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:37 pm
    ----
Unfortunately it does as it means I am unable to visit using my standard browser. Hopefully you will be able to sort it out in the near future so I can once again visit without using a backup browsers as I am doing now to report the problem.

May I suggest that you direct Chrome users to a page explaining the reasons instead of just a "You are banned" message?

/Marcus

#4: Re: All users of the Google Chrome browser banned!? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:07 pm
    ----
That's a good suggestion.
No doubt the Bushymeister will think on that when he sees it.

Unfortunately, because of the bot attacks, we had to introduce sterner security measures and that's what's stopping Chrome.
We need to change certain settings to allow every browser in.
Sadly, every time it's been doen for Chrome, they change something in it and it no longer works.
As you can imagine, the "Powers-That-Be", find it a tad frustrating to keep changing everything around only to find they need to do it all again the next day.
Once it's development settles down we will be able to allow it through our in-house security.
It's not just C-C, a lot of other forums have been reporting the same frustrations.

#5: Re: All users of the Google Chrome browser banned!? Author: MarcusWendel PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:12 pm
    ----
Please do let me know when the problem has been resolved so I can visit the forum again, thanks.

/Marcus

#6: Re: All users of the Google Chrome browser banned!? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:14 pm
    ----
Google might be the best ones to ask.
Wink

#7: Re: All users of the Google Chrome browser banned!? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:43 pm
    ----
Hi Marcus and thanks Shades!! Smile

Google chrome is based on the Apple Web Kit versions and Apple Safari Browsers are going through the same changes. While Safari for Windows is ok, the Apple version gets caught in the Security Software we use to keep out the hacker bots so prevalent on the web these days.

I'll take a look into the new code Google is using and see about updating our settings. I do have to ask however; what is it about Chrome that would make you want to use or not want to use the other more well known browsers?

#8: Re: All users of the Google Chrome browser banned!? Author: MarcusWendel PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:53 pm
    ----
I previously used Firefox but I was unhappy with the speed and memory use of that browser and as Chrome is better in those two regards I switched.

This is so far the only forum where I've experienced any problems with using it by the way. I understand your security concerns so this is just meant as an observation, not a complaint.

/Marcus

#9: Re: All users of the Google Chrome browser banned!? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:56 pm
    ----
Thank you for the response Marcus, I'm downloading and installing it right now. As soon as I get the user agent, I'll delve into the code... Wink

#10: Re: All users of the Google Chrome browser banned!? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:21 pm
    ----
Ok Marcus, give 'er a go now... Wink

It works for me using XP and Chrome... Smile

#11: Re: All users of the Google Chrome browser banned!? Author: MarcusWendel PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:49 pm
    ----
Apart from a few minor issues with the layout (for example a "broken image" symbol below my username) it works, thanks.

/Marcus

#12: Re: All users of the Google Chrome browser banned!? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:07 am
    ----
You're welcome and the broken image is a problem with your avatar link. It's not showing up on FF either... Wink

#13: Re: All users of the Google Chrome browser banned!? Author: MarcusWendel PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:22 am
    ----
- Shadow_Bshwackr
You're welcome and the broken image is a problem with your avatar link. It's not showing up on FF either... Wink

I have chosen no avatar here so it is actually a forum issue

There are also some issues with the updating when editing text, the text I add is being inserted as it should but in the browser it appears as if the existing text is being overwritten by the text I insert.

/Marcus

#14: Re: All users of the Google Chrome browser banned!? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:24 am
    ----
Hi Marcus,
Is the edit text issue something you could post a screenshot of?

#15: Re: All users of the Google Chrome browser banned!? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:07 pm
    ----
I just saw this article on on Computerworld's Website

www.computerworld.com/...rc=hm_list

It is titled " Google: Chrome in 'never-ending' beta "

So I'm not sure there is much hope for stability for Web developers to base their work on. Change can be good but there needs to be some stability and structure if a product is going to interoperate with others.

-> Suggestion Box