Camera Pole
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Camera Pole Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:56 pm
    ----
For those interested,

Here are descriptions and images of my new camera pole I used this weekend.

Side View

Side view without camera

I made this set up with the ability to use different cameras, although it is not completely universal. I used a machined bolt with two nuts for the lever fulcrum , that way I could adjust the height for what ever camera I was using. The various holes drilled into the plate are for positioning the lever along with the cable guide. The lever is folded sheet metal and has a rubber nipple that is slotted so I can adjust it's position. Friction keeps it in position. The lever has holes drilled into it to run the mono filament line. The line stays in place by friction and makes for a very simple and quick adjusting system. The cable piping is from a bicycle brake kit that I cut to size and removed the steel braid insert, the mono filament line has much less drag and doesn't fray.

Articulated

I articulated the head in order to get better angles when photographing downward. The joint came from an old desk lamp. I replaced the pivot stud with a standard bolt and wing-nut to simplify the adjusting angle.

This picture is of inside the cupola of an M551 using this feature.

Cupola

I was standing on the ground besides the tank when I took it.

Handle

The handle was made from an old "Wet Mop" I found laying around the house. It provided the perfect angle and a trigger too. Very convenient. I cut down the trigger and installed a cable stop made from aluminum stock with a hex key screw to secure the line. The stop pivots within the handle to keep the cable aligned when pulled. It also allows me to replace the line easily if it gets wore out.

Complete kit

The whole thing breaks down into three pieces (more if I get extension poles), doesn't take up much more space than a tripod and is very light. Takes about 5-10 minutes to set up and take pictures.

If any one wants more details I can PM them all the info they need to make one.

Joe D

#2: Re: Camera Pole Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:03 pm
    ----
You should patent this!

#3: Re: Camera Pole Author: JohnPrigentLocation: Sussex, UK PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:30 pm
    ----
That's very ingenious! I agree, you should patent it. Now, how to add a fibre optic 'scope to see through the viewfinder.........

Cheers

John the infrequent poster

#4: Re: Camera Pole Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:53 am
    ----
Thanks for the compliments,

Not sure about the patent thing or if there would be much of a market for something like this. Started off as a simple solution to the problem of not being allowed to climb on display tanks at Fort McCoy when I was there. Just evolved to this so far.

Maybe a few folks trying to peep over fences into nudist bathing pools Laughing

Joe D

#5: Re: Camera Pole Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:09 am
    ----
Shades would buy it for that last reason Laughing
Piney

#6: Re: Camera Pole Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:17 pm
    ----
Very nice, Joe! If you ever going into manufacturing it then let us know - I don't have the skill to make something like that myself. I can imagine it could have other uses in a smaller form, e.g. paparazzi shooting over the top of a crowd, or anyone at a sporting event.

#7: Re: Camera Pole Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:55 am
    ----
- Joe_D
For those interested,

Here are descriptions and images of my new camera pole I used this weekend .....

Joe D

What you do with your pole on the weekend is your business .. Razz

#8: Re: Camera Pole Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:23 pm
    ----
Dang - it's too late for Joe to patent it!

Here's a 'Quikpod' that I came across today that looks like it could be just the job for getting a bit of extra height when taking overhead pictures of tanks. The video on the home page is a bit dull, but covers its capabilities pretty well:

www.quikpod.com/Home.asp

There's also a bigger version intended for DSLRs:

www.quikpod.com/dslr.asp

The prices are pretty good too ($35-$50).

#9: Re: Camera Pole Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:44 pm
    ----
The quick pod is nice, however it has an big dis-advantage against the "Joe-d quick pod"

Joe is able to "trigger" the camera by hand with his lever mechanisme

What I can see from the picture's is that the quick pod has to work with camera timer

Not all camera's will autofocus using the timer function Neutral

Michel

#10: Re: Camera Pole Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:52 am
    ----
I've seen a few 'professional' camera poles but have yet to find one that is up to the task.

My 'Joe D' pole is admittedly primitive, but gets those unique angles. I used Joes initial pole design and was able to 'cobble' together a workable system.

Regards
Don

#11: Re: Camera Pole Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:08 am
    ----
- Joe_D

Maybe a few folks trying to peep over fences into nudist bathing pools Laughing

Joe D

I'm sure the C-C resident tree rat is already working on it now. Wink

#12: Re: Camera Pole Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:39 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
Dang - it's too late for Joe to patent it!

Here's a 'Quikpod' that I came across today that looks like it could be just the job for getting a bit of extra height when taking overhead pictures of tanks. The video on the home page is a bit dull, but covers its capabilities pretty well:

www.quikpod.com/Home.asp

There's also a bigger version intended for DSLRs:

www.quikpod.com/dslr.asp

The prices are pretty good too ($35-$50).

I ordered one of these DSLR ones today - I'll report back once I've tried it out (hopefully at Overloon).

#13: Re: Camera Pole Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:24 pm
    ----
Trevor,

I'm sure many here await your review.

Still can't locate mine, lost or packed away somewhere between my old house, barn or garage.

Moving, what a PIA. This will be my last though, next will be 6 feet under or "The Old Soldiers Home", depending on how well I age Laughing

#14: Re: Camera Pole Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:07 pm
    ----
Trevor, what kind of camera are you going to mount on it?

I have some plan to assemble my version, currently waiting for some components

Massimo

#15: Re: Camera Pole Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:26 pm
    ----
I nearly ordered an EOS 600D today, it was just the cost that made me hesitate (£750) after spending hours online looking for the best price. I'll almost certainly order it tomorrow. I'm sure the price will drop significantly over the next few months, but I need it now.

-> AFV News Discussion Board