German Hull Fractions
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: German Hull Fractions Author: boeman PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:12 am
    ----
While browsing a few photographs of German tanks being loaded off a train cart, I noticed all of them had fractions chalked on the undersides of their hulls.

What do the fractions denote? Was this a feature for all tanks being transported by rail?

Thanks.

#2: Re: German Hull Fractions Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:05 pm
    ----
Doesn't sound familiar - can you post a picture?

#3: Re: German Hull Fractions Author: boeman PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:49 pm
    ----
I tried looking for an equivalent photo online without much success.

The fraction numbers are seen on the undersides of panzers being offloaded off train carts if that helps narrow things down.

I'll keep looking...

#4: Re: German Hull Fractions Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:50 am
    ----
Can you give examples? I wonder about pieces of a shipment...like "1 of 4" or "4 of 16"....(1/4, 4/16, etc...)

#5: Re: German Hull Fractions Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:14 pm
    ----
An era might also help... Wink

#6: Re: German Hull Fractions Author: boeman PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:12 pm
    ----
The photos date back to WWII in the eastern front.

The tanks in question were Panzer IVs I believe.

One hull fraction was 5/8 I think. I don't have access to the photo right now.

#7: Re: German Hull Fractions Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:27 am
    ----
What JG300 says makes sense to me. The 'supply dudes' did it.

#8: Re: German Hull Fractions Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:33 am
    ----
Either that of movement control numbers,

Much like we had to chalk on or stuff when traveling.

Hope you can display the picture eventually.

Joe D

#9: Re: German Hull Fractions Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:59 am
    ----
- Joe_D

Joe D

Perhaps travel/transport manifest numbers (ie Pzkw IV: 3 of 4 in shipment....)

Remembering the days of chalking the 'Convoy Serial Number' on all vehicles (Wheeled &/or Tracked) during a roadmarch / alert rollout in FRG in the 80's.

Don

#10: Re: German Hull Fractions Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:22 am
    ----
Back in the Air Force each plane load of people and equipment in a mobility exercise was known as a 'Chalk Number' (Chalk 3 was always the quick reaction flyaway load that would stop at any location aircraft in the unit diverted to because of maintenance problems during the movement)

No one could ever tell me why they were called 'Chalks' but I always figured it was because the equipment used to have the load number marked on the mobility bins in chalk (We used masking tape with magic marker on it)

#11: Re: German Hull Fractions Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:09 am
    ----
- Dontos
- Joe_D

Joe D

Perhaps travel/transport manifest numbers (ie Pzkw IV: 3 of 4 in shipment....)Don

Why didn't I think of that?! Laughing

#12: Re: German Hull Fractions Author: boeman PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:34 am
    ----
Here is a photo of something similar:

Given that the operators are in civilian clothing, I would surmise this Tiger is undergoing trials.

In this case, the numbers chalked on the hull would probably represent something entirely different from the ones found on tanks traveling along train carts.

-> AFV News Discussion Board