CFB Borden
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: CFB Borden Author: ddoyle PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:56 am
    ----
Looking for someone near, or very familiar with, CFB Borden.

Thanks,
David Doyle

#2: Re: CFB Borden Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:00 am
    ----
- ddoyle
Looking for someone near, or very familiar with, CFB Borden.

Thanks,
David Doyle

David,

We've got one, though to my shame, the name escapes me (I think it's been a while since he posted, and maybe on the old board). If no one surfaces in a while, I'll dig through some old emails, as they sent me some excellent pics of a cutaway T-54 there.

Other package arrived today, BTW. Something headed your way, too.

D.

#3: Re: CFB Borden Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:29 am
    ----
Shoot. There is a body of knowledge that might be able to answer.

#4: Re: CFB Borden Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:29 am
    ----
The gentleman who helped me out was David Young, might he be lurking here under a different login?

#5: Re: CFB Borden Author: Alf_AdamsLocation: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:49 am
    ----
I no longer live nearby, however I have in the past and have visited the museum on the base several times over the years from 1976 until my last visit which was in 2003. I have photos from each visit and would certainly be happy to help with any questions if I can.

Alf

#6: Re: CFB Borden Author: ddoyle PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:03 am
    ----
I have heard a rumor that there have been two Valentines displayed at CFB Borden, but only one is there now. Can this be confirmed?

Thanks,
David Doyle

#7: Re: CFB Borden Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:01 pm
    ----
I visited last August and photographed everything I could find. This was the only Valentine I saw:

#8: Re: CFB Borden Author: ddoyle PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:01 am
    ----
Thanks - anyone know if previously two were on display?

Best wishes,
David Doyle

#9: Re: CFB Borden Author: Alf_AdamsLocation: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:50 am
    ----
I have not heard of a second Valentine and in my several visits over the years I never saw any more than one. It has been displayed both outside and in, over the years, but always the same one. There is another Valentine in Ottawa in the Canadian War Museum, but I don't think it was ever in Borden. I think it was a former lend lease vehicle recovered from Russia several years ago.

Alf

#10: Re: CFB Borden Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:18 pm
    ----
Yes Alf, the Valentine at the CWM was recovered from a bog. It was in 'just drowned' condition. Then the locals clipped and snipped off all the copper and other salvage metals they could. It is in $hit condition now, and the museum has chosen to leave it that way.

The idea is to show that civilians and industry are just as much a part of war as weapons and soldiers. But it looks like a junker.

-> AFV News Discussion Board