Richardson Motor Pool
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#46: Re: Richardson Motor Pool Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:34 pm
    ----
- Dontos
just wanted to confirm 1 thing :
the so-called T6 Sherman with Spigot Mortars is called a T11 in Wikipedia's Sherman variants article :

Mine Exploder T11 - 6 forward firing mortars to set off mines. Experimental.

Hmm I can't find a trace of that designation anywhere so I would love to see the reference for it...

#47: Re: Richardson Motor Pool Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:30 am
    ----
I'm looking at Searching For Perfection: An Encyclopedia of U.S. Army T-Series Vehicle Development 1925-1958 by Savid R. Haugh

It agrees that the T6 was a V shaped mine plow and the T11 had 6 spigot mortars. Same designations are mentioned in British and American Tanks of World War II by Chamberlain and Ellis

#48: Re: Richardson Motor Pool Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:48 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner

Don, can you post individual photos (instead of a collage) of these in your album?

Thanks,

Neil

....Done

Regards
Don

#49: Re: Richardson Motor Pool Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:52 am
    ----
It agrees that the T6 was a V shaped mine plow and the T11 had 6 spigot mortars. Same designations are mentioned in British and American Tanks of World War II by Chamberlain and Ellis

If you look on page 464 of Hunnicut's Sherman book, you'll find the T5 mine plow. That's what it looks like it has the mounts for. Also if you look on page 468, you'll find the T12 mine exploder with the spigot mortars. I'm not so sure those rods on the upper portion of the front slope are for spigots.

#50: Re: Richardson Motor Pool Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:31 am
    ----
well, I think that getting some pictures from some books would help a bit.

Anyway, the M4A4 @ Fort Knox is either a T6 Mine Plow (with the V shaped mine plow), or the T11 Mine exploder (with Spigot Mortars).

It appears that this vehicle can't be a T6 Mine Exploder, because this designation didn't exist..

Right ?

P-O

#51: Re: Richardson Motor Pool Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:41 pm
    ----
- Dontos
- Neil_Baumgardner

Don, can you post individual photos (instead of a collage) of these in your album?

Thanks,

Neil

....Done

Regards
Don

Thanks!

BTW, did you find an RN (or in this case "VRN") on the Ferret anywhere? Maybe inside?

For example, the Fox at RMP has the following VRN: 11FD26. The Ferret should have a similar number/letter/number combination somewhere on/in it...

Neil

#52: Re: Richardson Motor Pool Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:34 pm
    ----
Neil

NO SN data on the Ferret,...yet.

However

Today with some vehicle movement within the MP I got photos of the following:

M114
T114
Hummel
AMX13
BRDM 2
Type 69
T72M1 (both)
T55 (w KTO)
T54 (early production)

posted images to follow..... Cool

Regards
Don

#53: Re: Richardson Motor Pool Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:15 am
    ----
Here are a few photos from today:

AMX13:

BRDM2:

Hummel

M114:

More to follow
Regards
Don

#54: Re: Richardson Motor Pool Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:10 am
    ----
Don,
Is the Hummel going in convoy 2? I didn't remember it being on the list.

#55: Re: Richardson Motor Pool Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:44 am
    ----
The M4A4 is not a mine exploder vehicle. It is a swimming device vehicle that had a small number of spigot mortars added for beach obstacle clearance.

I'm not sure if the swimming device it tested was the T6/M19, but that could be a source of the confusion.

What's the serial?

KL

#56: Re: Richardson Motor Pool Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:02 am
    ----
Kurt
The M4A4's SN is 20026.

Garry
Don't think the Hummel is on Convoy 2, it just got moved around so it provided a chance to get a good walk around series.

Regards
Don

#57: Re: Richardson Motor Pool Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:23 am
    ----
Yup, SN 20026 was one of the tanks sent to York Safe & Lock for conversion to a T6 swimming device vehicle.

KL

#58: Re: Richardson Motor Pool Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:39 am
    ----
That might explain why the USMC had her before she went to Knox. Sounds like the mystery is solved.

Thanks Kurt

#59: Re: Richardson Motor Pool Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:24 am
    ----
sorry, but I always want to know more about tanks :

-How did this T6 Swimming Device Vehicle manage to clear the way?

-Was it able to swim like DD tanks, or did it only run on a landing beach?

-What specific equipment did it use to clear the way, apart from the spigot mortars?

thanks

Pierre-Olivier

#60: Re: Richardson Motor Pool Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:28 pm
    ----
The T6 used large pontoons for bouyancy and was actually successful enough to be standardized as the M19. The pads on the front and rear of the M24 light tank were factory-applied mounts. It was used in the Pacific for landings, notably at Okinawa.

I don't think the mortars were anything but an experiment. They were just large bombs that could be shot ahead a short distance to blow a gap in an obstacle belt.

KL

-> AFV News Discussion Board