"Paging Mr. Smart, paging Mr. Smart..."
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: "Paging Mr. Smart, paging Mr. Smart..." Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:54 am
    ----
Bob,
From the "bullet deflector" thread, my attention was caught by something I overlooked at the time in my efforts to grab a lot of pics in a limited window of time....

Knowing the penchant for the restoration staff (the principals of which I recognized from the recent "Tank Overhaul" episode on the "Elefant" and who I immortilized in digits in a pic with the then newly painted "Mae West") to indicate "hits" with silver paint, I notice a number of these on the .50 casemates and what appears to be a pistol port shield. Were these "test hits" with protection in mind? Know with what caliber(s)?

If the guys want their pic, I can send or post. Being TV stars now, they probably don't care.... Laughing

#2: Re: "Paging Mr. Smart, paging Mr. Smart..." Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:39 am
    ----
Yes those appear to be bullet hits. Not sure of caliber, I'll look a little closer when I'm up there with the CDSG folks on Thursday (Maybe we'll get a second opinion from 'Armyjunk'. Is anyone else joining the 'Defenses of Baltimore' tour?) I'll try and find out if there is anything in the records but from past history I doubt it.

I've found several other 'Aberdeen Veterans' suffer from having impacts on them. The first Chrysler built M-3 that is in Newark Delaware has two penetrations in the lower hull between the bogies from memory they appear to be 3" or 57mm. I suspect that those were from testing days at Aberdeen.

-> AFV News Discussion Board