Ft. Knox move vis-a-vis Blackhorse Assoc.
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Ft. Knox move vis-a-vis Blackhorse Assoc. Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:27 am
    ----
FYI.
Please keeps comments civil, as usual for this board...

The Blackhorse E-Newsletter
April 2009
E-NEWS FROM THE PRESIDENT-

Dear Members,

I received the letter below from the CG, USAARMC and Fort Knox regarding the relocation of the Home of Armor from Fort Knox to Fort Benning. The Army is amalgamating The Home of Infantry and The Home of Armor at Fort Benning into The Home of Maneuver.

This restructuring will take place over the next several years.
You will note from the CG's letter that he would like to move all the Armor and Cavalry unit monuments to the new monument park planned for Fort Benning.

I have been told we do not need to rush to a decision. USAARMC will not need our decision until October 2009 and any monument moves would probably not take place before 2011 or even 2012.

I intend to make this information and any subsequent information available to as many Blackhorse Association members as possible and likewise to the 11thACVVC. Our decision needs to be made by our full Blackhorse Family.

It is my intent to locate a member that can work this very emotional issue among our entire Blackhorse Family so that our decision is a unified one. We will make every effort to post information as it becomes available on the Association website at www.blackhorse.org and via our Blackhorse E-News email program.

Please read completely the CG, USAARMC's letter below:
Watch your Blackhorse E-News email and the website for more information.

Allons! and Blackhorse Forever!
John Sherman Crow
Pres. 2008-2009

#2: Re: Ft. Knox move vis-a-vis Blackhorse Assoc. Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:29 pm
    ----
I'm not a member of the Blackhorse organization but since the letter has been posted here I assume comment is invited. I firmly beleive that monuments should be left in their original position unless there is danger of physical harm to them. In almost every case the location of a monument has some historical or emontional tie to it's reason for being and I think it's a bad idea just to move one to create a bigger tourist attraction. My answer would be a famous WWII qoute"NUTS"

my two cents

Piney

#3: Re: Ft. Knox move vis-a-vis Blackhorse Assoc. Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:33 pm
    ----
I say move the monuments. The reason they are there is because the Patton Museum is, at this time, the Army's national armor museum. Let's face it, the reason people (and veterans) visit the museum is to see the tanks. Once the major draw is gone, so is the reason for having the monuments there. Move them to the new National Armor Museum so that visitors and veterans don't have to go to two places to see items of significance to their history and service.

Garry

#4: Re: Ft. Knox move vis-a-vis Blackhorse Assoc. Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:54 pm
    ----
"The Home of Manure". That's as civil as I can be! Mr. Green

#5: Re: Ft. Knox move vis-a-vis Blackhorse Assoc. Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:04 pm
    ----
I'm with Garry and his reasoning,

As far as the "The Home of Maneuver" thing. I've expressed my comments, although unpopular, already.

Where's Dontos with his 2 cents?

#6: Re: Ft. Knox move vis-a-vis Blackhorse Assoc. Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:36 pm
    ----
I see it like it's moving a gravesite for the convenience of the branch. Monuments to the fallen are not there because family members or fellow vets want to see the tanks, they are there because a vast majority* of those represented trained or served there when they were with us, prior to their sacrifice.

*not to be construed to ignore those 11B's from The Benning, orRedlegs from Sill, or Engineers from Lenny, or Medics from Ft. Sam...etc, etc.

-> AFV News Discussion Board