Posted in error Please delete
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Posted in error Please delete Author: west-frontLocation: Australia PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:02 am
    ----
Posted in error Please delete

Last edited by west-front on Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Aldo Ray as a US Tanker Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:11 am
    ----
Hey, you gotta' follow any of those guys as NCO's into combat anywhere! Jack Palance in "Attack" was seriously spooky (OK, he's a Lt. in that one). Laughing

(I gotta' wonder about taking an armored vehicle into combat with the gun in travel lock, though)...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxs23JREqeY

Eddie Albert takes on a crappy portrayal there, but he navigated a Higgin's Boat ashore at Normandy in real life, IIRC.

The Broderick Crawford bit seems just wrong without him saying "10-4, 10-4!", though.

#3: Re: Aldo Ray as a US Tanker Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:15 am
    ----
Hmmmm, I thought it was at Tarawa and it earned him the Bronze Star.

#4: Re: Aldo Ray as a US Tanker Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:18 am
    ----
- JeffStringer
Hmmmm, I thought it was at Tarawa and it earned him the Bronze Star.

As it turns out, you are correct (hence, the "IIRC"):

"Prior to World War II, and before his film career, Albert toured Mexico as a clown and high-wire artist with the Escalante Brothers Circus, but secretly worked for U.S. Army intelligence, photographing German U-boats in Mexican harbors.[3] On September 9, 1942, Albert enlisted in the U.S. Navy and was discharged in 1943 to accept an appointment as a lieutenant in the U.S. Naval Reserve. A genuine war hero, he was awarded the Bronze Star with Combat "V" for his actions during the invasion of Tarawa in November, 1943, when, as the pilot of a U.S. Coast Guard landing craft, he rescued 47 Marines who were stranded offshore (and supervised the rescue of 30 others), while under heavy enemy machine-gun fire.[4]"

#5: Re: Aldo Ray as a US Tanker Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:31 am
    ----
You never would have thought that of him after watching an episode of "Green Acres". Mr. Green

#6: Re: Aldo Ray as a US Tanker Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:43 am
    ----
A lot of Hollywood personalities (can't call them all actors) were in uniform. My only real concern is how "Scotty" James Montgomery "Jimmy" Doohan of Star Trek honours isn't very accurately described; he joined the Royal Canadian Artillery in 1940, and subsequently became an artillery observer pilot.

palletmastersworkshop....pside.html

#7: Re: Aldo Ray as a US Tanker Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:44 am
    ----
Oh I know that. It's just that all during his "career" I never knew much about him.

#8: Re: Aldo Ray as a US Tanker Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:36 am
    ----
Charles Durning also has history as a remarkable soldier. see the link

bhcnp.org/article.php?articleid=5

#9: Re: Aldo Ray as a US Tanker Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:32 am
    ----
Good read there piney, and thanks. I knew nothing about Durning and especially his part during that battle.

It's always good to know.

-> AFV News Discussion Board