Joe D, you da' man...what's this searchlight on M60A1?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Joe D, you da' man...what's this searchlight on M60A1? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:29 am
    ----
...about eight frames down from top...

www.orfmax.net/FirstSquadron.htm

D.

#2: Re: Joe D, you da' man...what's this searchlight on M60A1? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:12 pm
    ----
Wow! An M114 with a recoiless. Never heard of such a thing. (Last photo) That searchlight reminds me of what the M46 had.

#3: Re: Joe D, you da' man...what's this searchlight on M60A1? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:23 pm
    ----
From the shape I'd say it's not really a searchlight - it's a painted keg of German beer!

#4: Re: Joe D, you da' man...what's this searchlight on M60A1? Author: binder001 PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:53 pm
    ----
That sure looks like the early searchlight used with the M46 and the M48A1s in Europe.

Gary

#5: Re: Joe D, you da' man...what's this searchlight on M60A1? Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:49 pm
    ----
It looks similar to the one in this National Archives picture. General Electric 18". (I think carbon-arc)

#6: Re: Joe D, you da' man...what's this searchlight on M60A1? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:56 pm
    ----
Doug,

Crouse-Hinds 18" Searchlight. Fitted to some select M60 and early M60A1's. Same company manufactured landing lights, light house beacons, and ship signal lights. Was also installed on select M48's. White light only system. Was used with tanks not equipped with IR night sights (M60 and early M60A1's). As tanks were upgraded to IR sights, was replaced by AN/VSS-1 system.

This picture shows the bracket welded on an M60 turret to support the Crouse-Hinds Searchlight cable and how to ID a Tank that had one previously installed.

Bracket

Stowage brackets for a Crouse-Hinds equipped tank would also be different.

Stowage

The bracket welded to the turret blower is different and has only two mounting points. They did not use the 2" mounting balls, although some now have them installed for display. There is also a supporting bracket welded to the turret below. Many early M60's retained this bracket after being upgraded to VSS-1 systems. It is another way to ID former Crouse-Hinds equipped tanks.

Sorry about the water marks, but the pictures are gonna be used for a project I'm working on I hope to finish by the end of this year (If I ever stay home long enough Rolling Eyes ).

#7: Re: Joe D, you da' man...what's this searchlight on M60A1? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:18 pm
    ----
Joe,
Thanks, it does have that "landing light/beacon" look about it.
The mounting provisions also have that "lash up" hasty design look to them.

Somehow, I knew you'd be the guy to know. Mr. Green

D.

#8: Re: Joe D, you da' man...what's this searchlight on M60A1? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:25 pm
    ----
Just so happens I was working on my Search Light section not too long ago,

Trying to put together a decent reference on the M60 series that isn't covered by Mr. Hunnicutt. Will be geared toward both Historian and Modeler, with plenty of pictures and illustrations.

Also toying with another project, geared toward the "How it works" line, with explanations on how all the systems function in a tank using the M60A1 systems. Would cover every thing from night sights, FCS, Engine, Trans, etc. Using the A1 since I don't really want to get into the whole Laser and electronic stuff and is a good example of what most tanks during the 60's used in one form or another.

I do have a project I promised to complete before these though. It shares some of the same info.

#9: Re: Joe D, you da' man...what's this searchlight on M60A1? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:31 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
Just so happens I was working on my Search Light section not too long ago,

Need high res scans of the Armor Board 8x12's on searchlight test you've seen before? Also have pic of that test vehicle getting tugged of a hole by M88.

The light pics are B&W, and show special stenciled, elaborate "WARNING" message on the turret side.

#10: Re: Joe D, you da' man...what's this searchlight on M60A1? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:36 pm
    ----
Would be nice,

Hoping to send your package off in the next few days, You won't be disappointed.

#11: Re: Joe D, you da' man...what's this searchlight on M60A1? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:39 pm
    ----
I can do for you, G.I. Numbah One!

-> AFV News Discussion Board