What is that ?
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: What is that ? Author: sapper141 PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:59 pm
    ----
Sorry Guys I miss spelled the name it's Wickham not Wickum I got the Wickum spelling from one of my books. And Doug yeah they stopped using them before you got in country I think I remember something them being used until the early sixties pre 1965. Also the trolleys were built by the British so that would probably explain the look of the turret. A good number ended up in Malaysia fighting the communist forces there.
braderdm.blogspot.com/...olley.html
zureuel.blogspot.com/2...ysian.html
Seeya Shane

#17: Re: What is that ? Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:14 pm
    ----
You have wright that is British made armored Wickham Trolley – manufactured by D Wickham & Co of Ware, Hertfordshire and brought to Malaysia by the colonial administration.

#18: Re: What is that ? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:31 am
    ----
- sapper141
Sorry Guys I miss spelled the name it's Wickham not Wickum I got the Wickum spelling from one of my books. And Doug yeah they stopped using them before you got in country I think I remember something them being used until the early sixties pre 1965. Seeya Shane

Shane,
Thanks, never saw anything like that there. Also, I'm thinking maybe the negative hasn't been flipped as much as we may be looking at the "front" and "back" of a vehicle that could move both ways (after looking at the Malaysian pix...the boy's shirt is oriented correctly after looking at his "Herbie" T-shirt).

FWIW, this is what passed for an armored rail car in VN in '71. They were making up a train while I waited to cross QL-1 just west of the tracks and National "Highway" between Camp Eagle and Phu Bai. This is basically Phu Bai South. I don't know how "armored" it was behind those gun slits.

Last edited by Doug_Kibbey on Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total

#19: Re: What is that ? Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:10 am
    ----
I've seen some strange things before but an armored trolley has to be tops on my list.

Great pictures.

#20: Re: What is that ? Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:27 am
    ----
Made of Indonesian work shop bandung Indonesia in 1955
served in many operation for guarding pasengger train from banjar - bandung during internal conflic in indonesia by DI/TII (insurgent) in 1955-1962.
the armanet is only 1 coaxcial machine gun SMR type (12,7mm)and few rifleman inside the cabin
captured at Museum satria mandala , Jakarta Indonesia
www.flickr.com/photos/...-tanktanks

#21: Re: What is that ? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:23 pm
    ----
- bialy-r
Made of Indonesian work shop bandung Indonesia in 1955
served in many operation for guarding pasengger train from banjar - bandung during internal conflic in indonesia by DI/TII (insurgent) in 1955-1962.
the armanet is only 1 coaxcial machine gun SMR type (12,7mm)and few rifleman inside the cabin
captured at Museum satria mandala , Jakarta Indonesia
www.flickr.com/photos/...-tanktanks

I'd say that's half the story - it looks to me like an armoured vehicle hull welded by the Indonesian workshop onto a trolley, otherwise why not make it the right size for the trolley?

#22: Re: What is that ? Author: palic PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:13 pm
    ----
I believe there is origin of superstructure fitted to the coach chassis: www.overvalwagen.com/overval2.html Dutch East India (Indonesia) Armed Forces Overvalwagen

Quoted:
After 1945 the Dutch East Indies railroads (especially the workshops at Manggarai in the capital) adapted several Braat Overvalwagens for use on
railroads. It was simply welded to a rail carriage. This vehicle is equipped
with a canvas cover to protect its crew from sun and hand grenades. This
vehicle can be found in a Jakarta military museum (Picture from Wheels
and Tracks magazine).

#23: Re: What is that ? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:26 pm
    ----
Yes - that looks like it.

#24: Re: What is that ? Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:58 pm
    ----
1) What is this for an armored car?
2) Which countries used it?
3) Is it still in used today, where it produced in much numbers?

Vehicle in Kecel (Hungary)
kep.tar.hu/charlie21/5...17767027#2

#25: Re: What is that ? Author: palic PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:05 pm
    ----
Armoured car seems to be obviously of Western origin, let's say Belgian (FN)...
I am nearly sure it is AB.MI.MO. That means AB mitrailleuse-mortier with twin 7.62 FN MAG machine guns and a 60mm mortar in the turret.
That's all I can say at the moment, try to google to get answers to questions 2) and 3).

#26: Re: What is that ? Author: palic PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:25 pm
    ----
Google gives for instance: www.network54.com/Foru...-Katanga+2
www.fn-ig.de/fn_auto.htm

#27: Re: What is that ? Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:49 pm
    ----
Rafal

As Palic already said, its a Belgian armourd car, the FN 4RM-62F Mi-Mo. Used by the Belgian Gendarmerie and only 68 where build (this type and the canon type toghether). As far as I know only three of this type survived, one here in Kapellen, one should be in Bulgaria and this in Hungary. When they replaced by the BDX in the seventies some of them where sold to Urugay, so maybe there are some survivors.

Michel

#28: Re: What is that ? Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:10 pm
    ----
What Candian vehicles are those two:

In:

Canadian War Museum
www.pbase.com/mrclark/...e/63482303

Bejing Military Museum
www.flickr.com/photos/...066492438/

#29: Re: What is that ? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:23 pm
    ----
The bottom image is an Oxford, Mk 1

#30: Re: What is that ? Author: palic PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:17 pm
    ----
That first vehicle in question is "Willys Tracked Jeep Mk.I" No kidding, that is pure true. Five prototypes of them were built on Jeep parts and tested till September 1944. Two vehicles were reportedly sent to ETO but all was cancelled at the end of war.
Although pretty rare bird this vehicle appeared in one of Dirty dozen series film.

-> AFV News Discussion Board