Korean War Armored Car
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Korean War Armored Car Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:23 am
    ----
Check out this video.

It is a color film taken in 1952-53 in Korea.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH-UKpI0_sA

At around the 38 second mark there is a weird Armored Car that looks to have a 106mm RR.

anyone recognize this?

Don

#2: Re: Korean War Armored Car Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:05 am
    ----
That thing is pretty small. Using the fuel can as a scale reference, wonder if the drive train is based on the good old jeep?

Local fabrication maybe????

#3: Re: Korean War Armored Car Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:56 am
    ----
It almost looks like an armour plated airport tarmac tractor. But, that is a new one for the list.

#4: Re: Korean War Armored Car Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:10 am
    ----
Isn't that a Canadian "Beaver" or "Beaverette"?

KL

#5: Posted in error Please delete Author: west-frontLocation: Australia PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:48 am
    ----
Posted in error Please delete

Last edited by west-front on Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total

#6: Re: Korean War Armored Car Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:45 pm
    ----
West-Front

I believe you have got it. Sorta makes me wonder how the Recoilless Rifle is mounted? 'field modified' I assume.

Thanks
Don

#7: Re: Korean War Armored Car Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:42 pm
    ----
Look at this I'm not 100% sure that is Armoured Carrier Wheeled -
Indian Pattern (ACV-IP)
www.wargaming.net/tank...v-ip_2.htm

#8: Re: Korean War Armored Car Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:50 pm
    ----
Deferens

#9: Re: Korean War Armored Car Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:24 am
    ----
I believe playing thread necromancer is fully justified in this instance.
Feast your eyes, gents!

www.network54.com/Foru...mments+plz

#10: Re: Korean War Armored Car Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:14 am
    ----
Talk about "bristling with guns" Smile that's one tough little fella!

#11: Re: Korean War Armored Car Author: earlymb PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:30 pm
    ----
Looks like it was made from a jeep, the rear is a jeep grill with welded headlight holes... Interesting modification!

#12: Re: Korean War Armored Car Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:28 pm
    ----
Amazing little "Frankentank"!

#13: Re: Korean War Armored Car Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:31 am
    ----
I'm wondering if the chassis has been reversed with the original front (Engine, hood and radiator) now in the rear. This would mean the rear wheels would now be the steerable ones. Things that make me think this

1) The driver appears to be on the right
2) The crew compartment seems awfully far forward

#14: Re: Korean War Armored Car Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:19 am
    ----
- bsmart
I'm wondering if the chassis has been reversed with the original front (Engine, hood and radiator) now in the rear. This would mean the rear wheels would now be the steerable ones. Things that make me think this

1) The driver appears to be on the right
2) The crew compartment seems awfully far forward

Maybe, but that would be a stupifyingly complex modification, and completely unnecessary to achieve the desired end (an armored Jeep with more firepower). Much simpler would be to change the steering linkage (if indeed the driver has moved), or perhaps there was an underlying RHD vehicle there to begin with. Moving sheet metal around and welding on some plate is a lot easier that swapping suspension components back-to-front. I notice a clear rear differential, but can't make out a front one. This may not even retain FWD configuration. I just can't feature all that work as a field modification for a gunjeep. Shocked

Looks wildly overloaded and elaborate for a Jeep chassis. Why wouldn't one just do this sort of thing to a 3/4 or Power Wagon to begin with (which I can testify has been done, within limits).

#15: Re: Korean War Armored Car Author: ChrisC PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:36 am
    ----
Those are Dana 25/27 jeep axles WWII type 100% sure

-> AFV News Discussion Board