Help/Pics Needed - Camp Pendleton, CA
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Camp Pendleton, CA Author: blackdog PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:01 am
    ----
I don't think that there is any place for that Japanese tank at 29 Palms either... if it's there it would more than likely be an outside display and you would probably already know about it.

I have never seen that APC on Pendleton... however I don't recognize the background of the picture either so it could be in one of the few places that I have not been over on the Del Mar side or in one of the far reaches of the base. The only really obscure piece of Iraqi equipment that is here is a ZSU... a Shilka.

The engineer one is indeed still down here... I will go around and take pictures of everything I know of tomorrow.

#17: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Camp Pendleton, CA Author: blackdog PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:44 am
    ----
Here are some more pictures, still only a fraction of all of the equipment if you count the soviet stuff though. The HPIM pictures are prior to the Amtracs getting a new paint job.

www.surfacezero.com/ju...v/morepics

#18: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Camp Pendleton, CA Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:36 am
    ----
Blackdog

For several years I have attempted track the Ontos survivors. Thru a network of Ontos Vets, I had heard of a possible Ontos sighting in San Diego, back in the 80's. This Pig seemed to have dissappeared without a trace.

I've never heard of one on Miramar. Perhaps sent down as a hardtarget from China Lake and it got 'rerouted'...??

I guess the effort to 'score' an Ontos from China Lake for the USMC Mechanized Museum fell on deaf ears? Too bad.

If y'all do get to rescue 29 Palms Ontos,.....PLEASE sand blast that gross desert camo pattern off...!!!

Regards
Don

#19: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Camp Pendleton, CA Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:48 am
    ----
- blackdog
Here are some more pictures, still only a fraction of all of the equipment if you count the soviet stuff though. The HPIM pictures are prior to the Amtracs getting a new paint job.

www.surfacezero.com/ju...v/morepics

Somebody get that man a camera pole!

#20: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Camp Pendleton, CA Author: blackdog PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:59 am
    ----
When I say Miramar/Camp Elliott I mean 4th Tank Battalion's reserve center there... there are several places on the internet that say it was there, and I've talked to several people who said they saw it, but I can't find it or figure out where it went.

We tried contacting people at China Lake about two years ago but had no luck. I am wanting to try again, but this time I'd like to be able to present more evidence as to the historical significance of some of the vehicles there. It'd be nice to get several, heck, it would be nice to get some of the other vehicles out there as well... all USMC originals - not something one sees every day.

I haven't seen the Ontos at 29 Palms myself but yes that four color camouflage pattern I've seen in the pictures doesn't look quite right. I am expecting the worst and hoping for the best in the case that we are able to get it (probably will find out this week)... who knows what the interior looks like, or what condition the powertrain is in. I already know that the tracks are in pretty sad shape... they look to be pretty heavily rusted.

As for the camera pole..... I took some of the pictures out of the window of my car because I was in a hurry. I was going to park and take pictures in both cases but the first Amtrac had a sign that said "NO PARKING ON ROCKS'. And the second ones were in a parking lot that only had reserved parking... Rolling Eyes

#21: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Camp Pendleton, CA Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:52 am
    ----
"blackdog" thanks for photos:

QM56 www.surfacezero.com/ju...G_2902.JPG

M56 www.surfacezero.com/ju...G_2900.JPG

M76 Otter www.surfacezero.com/ju...G_2909.JPG

LVTP5 www.surfacezero.com/ju...IM1167.JPG

LVTR1 www.surfacezero.com/ju...IM1168.JPG

LVTE1 www.surfacezero.com/ju...g_2894.jpg

LVTH6 www.surfacezero.com/ju...G_2893.JPG

LVTH6 www.surfacezero.com/ju...IM1175.JPG

LVTAAX1 www.surfacezero.com/ju...G_2896.JPG

Is there somewhere this LVTP5 (photo from 1999):
s698.photobucket.com/a...VTP5A1.jpg

#22: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Camp Pendleton, CA Author: blackdog PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:53 pm
    ----
That is now at Barstow. See Barstow pictures thread.

#23: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Camp Pendleton, CA Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:09 pm
    ----

We tried contacting people at China Lake about two years ago but had no luck. I am wanting to try again, but this time I'd like to be able to present more evidence as to the historical significance of some of the vehicles there. It'd be nice to get several, heck, it would be nice to get some of the other vehicles out there as well... all USMC originals - not something one sees every day.

Here is some possible ammunition,.....

This is A 13 at CL. USMC # 226855. I know for a fact she was assigned to A Co 1st AT, and was one of the 8 Ontos that were involved in Operation Hue City during the 1968 TET offensive. Since there were at least 2 or 3 Ontos lost to hostile fire during the fighting, there would only be 5 surviving by the end of Op Hue City, and perhaps the sole surviving Ontos from that bunch. If that isn't enough grounds for 'rescue' ..... what is ??? Shocked

Regards
Don

#24: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Camp Pendleton, CA Author: 68BarracudaLocation: Ridgecrest Ca. (China Lake NAWC) PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:02 pm
    ----
Nice pic Don Cool Speaking of Otters...If my fuzzy memory is right, there was one or two in a range storage compound a few years ago (along with a bunch of other cool Stuffskies)

#25: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Camp Pendleton, CA Author: blackdog PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:22 pm
    ----
When we went up there we saw a whole bunch of good stuff even though we never made it out onto that range. Mules everywhere, a HET, some crazy looking tracked Caterpillar space ship looking thing. Any idea what the storage area is near the main gate with a bunch of historical looking vehicles in it?

Thanks for the info on that Ontos, I'll definitely be including it (less picture probably) with whatever proposal we draw up.

#26: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Camp Pendleton, CA Author: 68BarracudaLocation: Ridgecrest Ca. (China Lake NAWC) PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:46 pm
    ----
That storage area by the gate is mostly cleaned out now. Not sure where everything went (some went to a compound shared by DRMO Shocked ) My contact no linger has control over that stuff, Somebody at the museum does now. I've driven that big Cat spaceship looking thing. It's a prototype prime mover for mobile ICBM's

Definatly do NOT include that Ontos photo....pics of stuff on the range is a no-no Cool

#27: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Camp Pendleton, CA Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:34 pm
    ----
My 2C worth - Having vehicles stored out of site somewhere obscure is okay BUT if you really want to get funds to have them restored they should be moved to somewhere in plain view where the hierachy will see them... sooner or later they will get fed up seeing all that rust and find the funds to have them cleaned up - reverse phsycology works everytime Cool

#28: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Camp Pendleton, CA Author: blackdog PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:26 pm
    ----
I was looking through all of my photos for pictures of the soviet vehicles on Pendleton but couldn't find any of them. However, I found some other pictures that may be of interest to you guys.

Amtrac Museum LVTA5
www.surfacezero.com/ju...celand.jpg - after being in the movie "Flags of Our Fathers"
www.surfacezero.com/ju...rpaint.jpg - after being repainted

4th Tank Battalion/Reserve Center (they don't actually have any tanks other than the ones below at this location), Miramar/Scripps Ranch

www.surfacezero.com/ju...iramar.jpg

I will get pictures of the soviet vehicles soon.

Brian

#29: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Camp Pendleton, CA Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:34 pm
    ----
Thank again Brian,
Of course to nitpick, I'm pretty certain that LVT(A)5 has postwar modifications (to the basic hull-shape) that would make it out of place for Iwo Jima...

Re: the 4th Tank Battalion, is that at their HQ at 9955 Pomerado Road, San Diego, CA 92131?
www.mfr.usmc.mil/4thMA...4thTankBn/

Thanks.

Neil

#30: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Camp Pendleton, CA Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:37 pm
    ----
And am I seeing that right? Is that a 75mm gun & mantlet put on a T23 turret?

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board