What is the surfboard on the M551 Sheridan made out of?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: What is the surfboard on the M551 Sheridan made out of? Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:46 pm
    ----
None of the manuals I have say what the surfboard is made out of and knocking on the one at the MVTF didn't really give me any answers. I'm sure someone here will know.

Thanks!

#2: Re: What is the surfboard on the M551 Sheridan made out of? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:59 pm
    ----
Plywood with a plexi-glass insert for the driver IIRC.

#3: Re: What is the surfboard on the M551 Sheridan made out of? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:29 pm
    ----
I think it was aluminum painted with anti-slip paint.

#4: Re: What is the surfboard on the M551 Sheridan made out of? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:39 pm
    ----
M551 SURFBOARD PHOTO

#5: Re: What is the surfboard on the M551 Sheridan made out of? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:21 pm
    ----
I might be confusing it with the M113's,

But somewhere I remember seeing a busted one on a range made of plywood but might have been sheathed in Aluminum. Just seems pretty light to be a solid piece of Aluminum. I'll check one out this weekend if I can.

#6: Re: What is the surfboard on the M551 Sheridan made out of? Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:41 pm
    ----
Thanks guys. I know the M113's one is plywood as all of the ones I've seen have had wood splinters coming off of them. I guess the framing and anti-skid coating is throwing me off on the M551. I'm trying to finish up one of my photo captions so I'll just say plywood for now. When my manuscript comes back with the numerous required edits, I'll be able to change the caption at that time.

#7: Re: What is the surfboard on the M551 Sheridan made out of? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:45 pm
    ----
I'm pretty sure now that it was aluminum. The surboard was not flat so it would have been hard to make from plywood.

#8: Re: What is the surfboard on the M551 Sheridan made out of? Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:48 pm
    ----
Well then, aluminum it is!! Thanks Mark!

#9: Re: What is the surfboard on the M551 Sheridan made out of? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:05 am
    ----
Chris,

I checked out the surfboard on the M551 in Jackson MO.

It's what I thought in way, two thin aluminum sheets covering a core made of honey comb cardboard or similar material instead of plywood. The honey combs look like 1/4 to 3/16 inch in size. Hard to see in the picture but I inspected the area between the aluminum where the side trim was missing. Actually pretty fragile stuff.

#10: Re: What is the surfboard on the M551 Sheridan made out of? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:54 pm
    ----
Joe, Do you have any other photos of this vehicle? I'd like to post on my Flickr M551 group! www.flickr.com/groups/m551/

#11: Re: What is the surfboard on the M551 Sheridan made out of? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:12 pm
    ----
Yes I do,

I just have to size them for my photobucket account, I'll PM the link when it's done.

-> AFV News Discussion Board