Looking for identification help
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Artillery Forum

#1: Looking for identification help Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:57 pm
    ----
This gun is in Museo de Henriquez, labeled as "Skoda gun". The Museum's crew classify it as an austro-hungarian WW I piece. But I am not conviced Confused

It doesn't have split trail, so it kind of looks like WW I. But it could also be a post-war Czechslovakian piece or an original WW I gun upgraded after the war.

The size looks in the 75/100 mm range.

Any help is appreciated:

At first it looks like it's missing the muzzle brake, but I realized I saw something similar on a gun in Lesany. It's called 10 cm vz 39 H3:

Massimo

PS The gun behind is a 75 mm Krupp. I have some questions aout it too. More on this later

#2: Re: Looking for identification help Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:13 am
    ----
Finding the gun is the easy part, I found 2 others

1 one the following site, the picture of the canon of the link to weapons has the strange muzzle brake

www.worldwar2.ro/

There is no short description however there are several different Skoda canon listed of 75 and 100mm

This will shrink the options somehow

There is also an other option, this canon is an 105mm

Number 2 on the following site, there is also this strange muzzle brake, picture about 1/3 from top of page

www.jaegerplatoon.net/...LLERY5.htm

The description is 105 mm howitzer model 1941 aka Skoda H2

Michel

#3: Re: Looking for identification help Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:01 am
    ----
Thanks Michel, at least I can see more examples of that strange muzzle brake.

Massimo

#4: Re: Looking for identification help Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:01 pm
    ----
at least I can see more examples of that strange muzzle brake

Mr. Green Mr. Green

Massimo, do you have an close-up of the muzzle brake?

Just curious to know what it is
It looks like an steel plate with 8 nuts and bolts Confused Confused

#5: Re: Looking for identification help Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:16 pm
    ----
It looks like an steel plate with 8 nuts and bolts

That's pretty much it Smile

Massimo

#6: Re: Looking for identification help Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:29 pm
    ----
I've got help on an italian forum, it's a 10 cm vz 28 Skoda.

Massimo

#7: Re: Looking for identification help Author: JiriTinteraLocation: Prague, Czech Republic PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:57 pm
    ----
The first four images are Skoda export 8 cm (76,5 mm) light gun model 28, version for horse's yoke. Can be distinguished by a longer barrel and a short brake return equipment.

The last two images are Skoda export howitzer 10 cm "H3", or 10,5 cm "H2" or "H4", designed for tow car. 10 cm prototype H3 tested by the Czechoslovak army, the Wehrmacht took over a gun. Can be distinguished by a shorter barrel and longer brake return equipment.

Guarantee: 7 out of ten.

#8: Re: Looking for identification help Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:20 am
    ----
- Michel_Krauss
at least I can see more examples of that strange muzzle brake

Mr. Green Mr. Green

Massimo, do you have an close-up of the muzzle brake?

Just curious to know what it is
It looks like an steel plate with 8 nuts and bolts Confused Confused

It looks curiously like the old flash suppressor on the M2 .50 cal, scaled up. The .50 flash hider had four bolts that clamped onto the front of the barrel in what looks like much the same manner as what is shown in the pictures here.

Not saying that's it's purpose, however.

#9: Re: Looking for identification help Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:42 am
    ----
- JiriTintera
The first four images are Skoda export 8 cm (76,5 mm) light gun model 28, version for horse's yoke. Can be distinguished by a longer barrel and a short brake return equipment.

Thanks. Do you know which country adopted this model? Maybe Yugoslavia or the like?

Massimo

#10: Re: Looking for identification help Author: JiriTinteraLocation: Prague, Czech Republic PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:22 am
    ----
Massimo,
this question I can not answer, I am not historian specialized in artillery weapons and exports company Skoda. I asked for help from a fellow. I hope that soon we will see the answers.

Yours sincerely Jiri

#11: Re: Looking for identification help Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:39 pm
    ----
Thanks Jiri, I appreciated the help. There is no hurry, if you get additional info, that would be great, if not, thanks anyway.

Massimo

#12: Re: Looking for identification help Author: JiriTinteraLocation: Prague, Czech Republic PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:27 pm
    ----
Massimo,
from colleague Jiri Janousek, I received this information:

8 cm (real caliber 76.5 mm) field gun model 28, Skoda code FE.
Carriage was common for cannon and howitzer (Skoda EF). Cannon with muzzle brake - exported 300 units in Yugoslavia, army designed: 8 cm top M.1928.

Barrel length 40 calibres (L/40), elevation -8 to +80°, traverse 13°, the weight of the firing position of 1680 kg, 7.3 kg weight of bullets, muzzle velocity 650 m/s, effective range 14 km.

Modernized cannon, without muzzle brakes, made of 202 pieces, designed in the Czechoslovak army: 8 cm kanon vz.30.

10 cm (real caliber 100 mm) field howitzer model 1939, Skoda code H3.
In 1938, only two prototypes produced, hypothetical designed in the Czechoslovak army: 10 cm houfnice vz.39.

Barrel length 29.8 calibres (L/30), elevation -8 to +70°, traverse 50°, the weight of the firing position of 1960 kg, 14.4 kg weight of bullets, muzzle velocity 525 m/s, effective range 12.2 km.

P. S.
Information on the Skoda howitzer H4 I Will send later.

Note: Translated electronically.

#13: Re: Looking for identification help Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:37 pm
    ----
Thanks a lot Jiri. I would bet the gun in Trieste comes from Yugoslavia

Massimo

#14: Re: Looking for identification help Author: JiriTinteraLocation: Prague, Czech Republic PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:59 pm
    ----
Yes,
it is a Yugoslav weapon, prey the Italian army. Guarantee: 9 out of ten.

Yours sincerely Jiri

#15: Re: Looking for identification help Author: JiriTinteraLocation: Prague, Czech Republic PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:58 pm
    ----
10.5 cm (real caliber 105 mm) Field Howitzer military designation is not known, Skoda code H4.
Originally intended for Latvia. Exports were not made for political reasons. The first prototype manufactured and shooting test in 1940. The following year, exports to Finland, delivered 27 pieces. Finnish Army says this weapon and the quantity in its arsenal even 31st September 1951.

The howitzer was offered Sweden and Hungary in 1942. A total of 84 pieces produced.

Barrel length: 28.4 calibres (L/28), elevation: -8 to +70°, traverse: 50°, firing height: 1180 mm, weight of the firing position: 1980 kg, weight of bullets: 16 kg, muzzle velocity: 530 m/s, effective range: 12.2 km.

Howitzer undivided, one carrier, in horse traction, weight: 2600 kg.

Original photo not available.

Note: Translated electronically.

-> Artillery Forum