Why I prefer the pre-'70's GP cars....
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Officer's Club

#1: Why I prefer the pre-'70's GP cars.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:00 am
    ----
No downforce, no wings, no advertising. Also, sadly, usually no seatbelts.

Slow to load (hi-quality) so pause it and let it get well ahead of you....

Shell-Fazzazz commercial

plus...

Chase Car with Fazzass in Time Square

#2: Re: Why I prefer the pre-'70's GP cars.... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:39 pm
    ----
ROFL...

Shell Power...lmao...

Great Vid though!

#3: Re: Why I prefer the pre-'70's GP cars.... Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:14 am
    ----
very cool... my first year of watching every race and my driver won the driver's championship (we have the same last name and my family is from "that part" of England)... but my step sons (Italians) love the Ferrari and we will have some interesting Sundays with Button going to McClaren...

Anyway very cool vid!

#4: Re: Why I prefer the pre-'70's GP cars.... Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:31 pm
    ----
Slow, I'm less than 5 miles from McLaren's HQ in Woking, Surrey.
Guess how happy I am that we got Jensen AND Lulu racing for us next season!

If you can, try and get the BBC coverage (if you haven't already) they do some excellent pre-race coverage on all the latest developments on and off the track and explain why what goes on before the race can be as important as the race iteslf.

And well done for being an American and watching F1.
You lot never cease to surprise me.

And suggest to your Step-Sons that they should do well this year..; the cheating Spaniard racing for the cheating Red-Team.
That should stir up evening meal times.

#5: Re: Why I prefer the pre-'70's GP cars.... Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:42 am
    ----
here ya go Shades (race won by a grave-digger LOL)...

Pure British

#6: Re: Why I prefer the pre-'70's GP cars.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:23 am
    ----
When giants roamed the earth...note the names of the particpants (not all of whom survived their careers)...Air time at the 'Ring is always noteworthy.

Nurburgring 1967

Onboard with Clark, 1963...
Note the tires and sawing of the steering wheel

It's only better watching Fangio on even skinnier tires.

In those days, there would be a number on the car, maybe the manufacturer, and perhaps the driver's name (usually not necessary, as everyone knew the drivers by their helmets.)

#7: Re: Why I prefer the pre-'70's GP cars.... Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:30 pm
    ----
Whereas, these days many of the drivers are helmets.
Matter of interest, I was involved with motorsport in my youth and once had the dubious pleasure of being one of five people in a meeting rrom for an afternoon. Three of the other four were, Colin Chapman (Lotus), Ron Dennis (McLaren), and Bernie Ecclestone (who now runs Formula 1, and owns the rights for it, but I seem to remember he was more concerned with Silverstone Race Track back then). It was a very loud, some might say 'brutal' meeting. lol
The full course at the Nurburgring (approx 20 miles) is probably the most dangerous, notorious, and therefore best, car racing circuit in the world.
They paint the names of the 'fallen' at crucial points on the circuit.

And never diss anyone who drives a Robin on the road, let alone in a race.
For these people are "Hard".

#8: Re: Why I prefer the pre-'70's GP cars.... Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:12 am
    ----
I wasn't making fun of the Robin Shades... just pointing out how gruff you blokes are (after all, isn't a Friday night ritual in the UK that the night is not complete without a fight a the pub?! LOL)

slow

#9: Re: Why I prefer the pre-'70's GP cars.... Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:16 am
    ----
....not complete without an *occasional and physical debate normally beginning with such topics as; the correct serving temperature for the ale we just bought and how far out the landlord was; a young lady (usually present); and/or various items of her attire* at the pub.

#10: Re: Why I prefer the pre-'70's GP cars.... Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:03 am
    ----
- HF_SlowHand
(after all, isn't a Friday night ritual in the UK that the night is not complete without a fight a the pub?! LOL)

Why only Fridays... Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

#11: Re: Why I prefer the pre-'70's GP cars.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:27 am
    ----
and I've had....

...MOTORCYCLES WITH WIDER TIRES THAN THIS! Shocked

#12: Re: Why I prefer the pre-'70's GP cars.... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:39 am
    ----
I think I owned a bicycle with tires wider than that Rolling Eyes and it was probably made for Montgomery Wards about the same year as the car Confused

#13: Re: Why I prefer the pre-'70's GP cars.... Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:17 pm
    ----
My current bike has wider tyres than that.
They're possibly slicker too.

#14: Re: Why I prefer the pre-'70's GP cars.... Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:02 pm
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
No downforce, no wings, no advertising. Also, sadly, usually no seatbelts.

Slow to load (hi-quality) so pause it and let it get well ahead of you....

Shell-Fazzazz commercial

Looks like me on my way home from work in the morning. Wink

#15: Re: Why I prefer the pre-'70's GP cars.... Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:40 am
    ----
and I hope this turns into something long running and historical... My sons from Italy and I went to Indy this year for a special open house and got to go on the track, in the media centers etc... it was awesome.. why they ran the F1 cars at Indy I dont know but it it is still all there, garages, hospitality suites...

Would like to see a car going 350 kph down Michigan Avenue in Chicago - imagine the sound of 20+ engines at 18000 rpm in the canyons of Chicago and along LSD....

alas... too much to hope for, bout like a Detroit Lion win....

another story for another time...

Also I always liked Peter Windsor...

US F1

-> Officer's Club