Video Crashes
-> Hardware

#1: Video Crashes Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:15 am
    ----
My son brought me his just reformated 2 months ago puter. Video causes what ever program is running it to crash. Weather it be Windows media player, Classic media player 123, internet video be it Firefox or IE. The vid plays for anywhere from 1 min to 5 mins and it crashes. It's and older puter with XP installed, 1250 megs of ram, NVidia Gforce card- older one not sure. I've updated the BIOS, XP all updates, vid card drivers to the newest and java. It has DX9c and the test all pass. Could it be the power supply or vid card or something else? All thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated Laughing .

#2: Re: Video Crashes Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:48 pm
    ----
The first thing I would suspect is the power supply Homey, next would be the ram... Wink

#3: Re: Video Crashes Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:09 pm
    ----
as bushy said check out the PSU also be aware that the latest vid drivers per se do not improve things on older vidcards Wink

#4: Re: Video Crashes Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:50 pm
    ----
Homey!
Can you list your hardware components (CPU, Mobo, RAM, Graphic card, PSU and wattage).
Do you get a blue-screen-of-death?
If you get a BSOD there will be an error code (something like XC00000000016XD).
If you get anything like that we can usually get stright to the root of the problem.

If you have a spare PSU you can swap in, that might tell you if it's a knackered PSU.
PSU's might start out powerful enough but they lose about 17% power per year of their lives.
I always allow a lot more than may appear necessary when advising people which to go for in a new build.

#5: Re: Video Crashes Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:46 pm
    ----
Ok after buying new PSU and vid card that didn't fix the problem I call Bush for more advice and he hit by suspecting a dirty or bad CPU. We removed the CPU and cleaned it all including blowing out the slot with canned air, replaced it and boom all worked! Surprised . We removed the new vid card and power supply and put the old back in and it all still worked so off to the puter store for refunds Smile ! Thnx for all the responses and with Murphy still here I'm sure I'll be ask'n more question in the future but hopefully not the near future...LOL.

#6: Re: Video Crashes Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:36 am
    ----
Weird for a dirty cpu to cause those symptoms and not others but glad you got it fixed.
Probably runs better now as well.

-> Hardware