Preserved Tanks in Italy
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Preserved Tanks in Italy Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:11 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't spotted that.

I know you're an expert on the Priest so I'm very happy for you to correct my identifications:

Preserved M7 Priests

I guess it's not as simple as M7 = 1 ring, M7B1 = 2 rings, M7B2 = rings? If so, I have a few others misidentified too.

The M7B2 has....... 3 rings Wink

Note that the howitzer is higher than on M7 and M7B1s.
During the Korean War, the limited elevation of the howitzer became noticeably problematic and it was increased to 65° to increase the effective range of the howitzer. The machine gun mount also had to be raised to give a 360° firing arc (Wikipedia).

M7 @ Ouistreham :

P-O

#17: Re: Preserved Tanks in Italy Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:36 pm
    ----
Trevor

- TrevorLarkum

I guess it's not as simple as M7 = 1 ring, M7B1 = 2 rings, M7B2 = rings? If so, I have a few others misidentified too.

I did wish it was that simple Sad , M7 has one or two rings ( it all depends when build), M7B1 has two rings (never seen one with only one ring) and as P-O already said the M7B2 has three rings.

To be sure to id a M7 or M7B1 I always try to look at the rear ( a B1 has a longer hull), All the rest can be deceiving, I've seen M7's with the light low and B1's with a three piece transmission.

Tichenor

#18: Re: Preserved Tanks in Italy Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:41 am
    ----
The discussion of preserved SP70s prompted me to add the Cecchignola collection, with photo's and help from Massimo. It has 22 tanks and many other vehicles making it the largest collection in Italy, and these including the sole surviving P40:

Museo Storico della Motorizzazione Militare, Cecchignola, Roma

Carro Armato P40

#19: Re: Preserved Tanks in Italy Author: Hanno_Spoelstra PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:33 am
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
The discussion of preserved SP70s prompted me to add the Cecchignola collection, with photo's and help from Massimo. It has 22 tanks and many other vehicles making it the largest collection in Italy, and these including the sole surviving P40:

Museo Storico della Motorizzazione Militare, Cecchignola, Roma

Trevor,

I can't see the Canadian Armoured Snowmobile listed? Is it still there?
Another rare beast, the only other confirmed survivor is in the Kubinka Museum.

Regards,
Hanno

P:S : my archived web page on the subject vehicle can be found here: web.archive.org/web/20...obile.html

#20: Re: Preserved Tanks in Italy Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:38 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
The discussion of preserved SP70s prompted me to add the Cecchignola collection, with photo's and help from Massimo. It has 22 tanks and many other vehicles making it the largest collection in Italy, and these including the sole surviving P40

There is another P40 in Lecce. This tank was restored in 1988, the original engine was removed and a modern Iveco diesel engine was installed instead. It was in running order for quite a few years after that, and could be still in running condition today (info from Nicola Pignato)

The tank at Cecchignola instead is missing the engine. Back in 1944/45, many P40s were completed without engines and used by the germans as static pillboxes.

Massimo

#21: Re: Preserved Tanks in Italy Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:41 pm
    ----
- Hanno_Spoelstra
[I can't see the Canadian Armoured Snowmobile listed? Is it still there?

I visited the Museum in 2009 for a few hours, but large parts of it weren't accessible, since a few buildings were under restoration. I haven't seen the Snowmobile, but this doesn't means it's gone.

Massimo

#22: Re: Preserved Tanks in Italy Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:43 pm
    ----
- Hanno_Spoelstra

Trevor,

I can't see the Canadian Armoured Snowmobile listed? Is it still there?

Regards,
Hanno

I don't know, Hanno, Massimo would be better able to answer that - I only record fully tracked AFVs and not other vehicles.

#23: Re: Preserved Tanks in Italy Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:09 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
There is another P40 in Lecce.

Massimo

You're right, of course, I haven't written up Lecce yet. Another place on my to-do list.

#24: Re: Preserved Tanks in Italy Author: Hanno_Spoelstra PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:03 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
I don't know, Hanno, Massimo would be better able to answer that - I only record fully tracked AFVs and not other vehicles.

Trevor,

Alright. It is up to you, but in my view an armoured, two-man recce vehicle falls under the armoured fighting vehicle class, in line with the British "A" category.

Hanno

Last edited by Hanno_Spoelstra on Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

#25: Re: Preserved Tanks in Italy Author: Hanno_Spoelstra PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:05 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
I visited the Museum in 2009 for a few hours, but large parts of it weren't accessible, since a few buildings were under restoration. I haven't seen the Snowmobile, but this doesn't means it's gone.

Massimo,

Would be great to have confirmed sometime where it is these days.

Thanks,
Hanno

#26: Re: Preserved Tanks in Italy Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:10 pm
    ----
I plan to go back one of these days, once the work on the buildings will be done. I added it to my personal "missing list", together with the Sherman Dozer and SP-70

Massimo

Last edited by Massimo_Foti on Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

#27: Re: Preserved Tanks in Italy Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:16 pm
    ----
Since we are talking about Cecchignola, there are two vehicles I was unable to identify, they sit in an area together with a few prototypes covered by a few years of dust.

I can post a few extra shots if the need arise.
Just a few meters away there is a FIAT - MAN - Saviem, plus some old italian armoured cars prototypes: AVH, AVM and AVL.

Massimo

#28: Re: Preserved Tanks in Italy Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:52 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
- Massimo_Foti
There is another P40 in Lecce.

Massimo

You're right, of course, I haven't written up Lecce yet. Another place on my to-do list.

To avoid making the same mistake again I have researched and started an entry for Lecce (and the P40) - I'll return to it at a later date to add the other vehicles:

Location ID 5700: Scuola Truppe Corazzate, Lecce

#29: Re: Preserved Tanks in Italy Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:42 pm
    ----
Hi Trevor! Hi Folks!

Thanks for all the great photos.
The one under the Museo Memoriale della Liberta, Bologne (markings ?A 756 Tank Battalion, C 12) that is listed as a M4 (105) Sherman is not a 105 assault gun. It is a M4A2 or M4A3 (Wet) 75mm gun vehicle.

Keep up the great work Sirs!
Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts out!

#30: Re: Preserved Tanks in Italy Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:51 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Trevor! Hi Folks!

Thanks for all the great photos.
The one under the Museo Memoriale della Liberta, Bologne (markings ?A 756 Tank Battalion, C 12) that is listed as a M4 (105) Sherman is not a 105 assault gun. It is a M4A2 or M4A3 (Wet) 75mm gun vehicle.

Roy, the text says it's a 105mm hull and turret fitted with a 75mm gun - can you see something that contradicts this?

Unique ID 1065: Bologna Sherman

-> AFV News Discussion Board