TRV's in "Patton"
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: TRV's in "Patton" Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:38 am
    ----
Was watching "Patton" in Hi-Def last night and noticed (for the first time) what appeared to be several shots of operational M32 TRV's in the film (maybe just one, set in several locations). Was moving in column, particularly during the advance of 3rd Army toward Bastogne in the "snow scenes", as well as one other place (Sicily, maybe). Wasn't aware that Spain (where most of this was filmed) had those.

Some nice stock footage of Ram/Kangaroos in action, too.

Some interesting vehicles in the mix. M48's never looked better, even if they tended to be DAK vehicles. Laughing

#2: Re: TRV's in "Patton" Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:02 pm
    ----
How things might have been different if the Nazis had really fielded M48s in 1944! Especially if all the US tanks really were M24s!

#3: Re: TRV's in "Patton" Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:41 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
How things might have been different if the Nazis had really fielded M48s in 1944! Especially if all the US tanks really were M24s!

...and M41's. Wink

#4: Re: TRV's in "Patton" Author: binder001 PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:01 pm
    ----
Is the VTR in "Patton"'s Bastogne relief scene an M32-type or an M74? My memory recalls seeing the spade on the front indicating an M74. M74s were provided in Europe to countries that received M47 and M48 series tanks.

#5: Re: TRV's in "Patton" Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:23 pm
    ----
- binder001
Is the VTR in "Patton"'s Bastogne relief scene an M32-type or an M74? My memory recalls seeing the spade on the front indicating an M74. M74s were provided in Europe to countries that received M47 and M48 series tanks.

You could very well be right. Didn't have David Doyle's book unpacked yet so couldn't check. I saved to DVR, so I can play back and freeze later.

#6: Re: TRV's in "Patton" Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:33 pm
    ----
Further to....

Yes, that vehicle has a blade on the front, and there are M47's in various roles in the film as well, generally German.

-> AFV News Discussion Board