Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:23 pm
    ----
Ontos www.flickr.com/photos/...291614410/

#17: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:23 pm
    ----
Thanks Mark,
But that's the new museum - which displays a small portion of what the old one had. Here's what I already have:

LVT1 USA ind Leatherneck Gallery; 1 of 2 surv.

LVT3 USA ind Korea Gallery; 1 of 7 LVT3s in the US

M3A1 Stuart USA ind SN 9952; WWII Gallery

M4A3(75) Sherman USA ind WWII Gallery; SN 1593

M26 Pershing USA ind Korea Gallery; USMC RN 118041

M50A1 Ontos USA ind Vietnam Gallery

Thanks anyway,

Neil

#18: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Mus Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:26 pm
    ----
Looks like you got everything that I've found. Confused

#19: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:40 pm
    ----
Yeah, what I do have from the old museum is the following:

M3 Half-Track GMC USA std? One of four surviving examples
web.archive.org/web/20...375gmc.htm

Type 4 Ho-Ro JPN std Captured on Okinawa

web.archive.org/web/20...unpage.htm

Neil

#20: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:19 pm
    ----
I also just found the following for the King armored car (you can also just see the Roebling Alligator 3 in the background of one pic)

www.wwi-models.org/Pho...index.html

Neil

#21: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Mus Author: supertsar PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:21 pm
    ----
How about something from ... the late 70s!? From genuine Kodak paper... ah the good old days when the hatch on the T34/85 was open for viewing.

#22: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Mus Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:37 pm
    ----
Neil,
I have some prints of the T-62M, T-69 Command Tank, BMP-1, T-72, and M60A1 that I took back in '92 or '93. Would scans of them work for you?

#23: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:02 pm
    ----
Chris,
That would be great!

Neil

#24: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:03 pm
    ----
BTW, do you think this is the same Type 69?

www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=3050

Neil

#25: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:17 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
BTW, do you think this is the same Type 69?

www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=3050

Neil

I really don't know. We can compare it with the one in my pic.

I'll scan and post the pics later tonight under a new thread so this one doesn't get too backed up.

#26: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:26 pm
    ----
Neil, it's done - the Marine Aviation Museum vehicles are now in the PreservedTanks database:

Marine Corps Aviation Museum

Each tank gets its own entry, but if you're also interested in the other vehicles (LVTP-5, HMAs, etc.) then look through the location photos. (Note I've given it the new name just to save me trouble later when I update it).

I hope it's what you needed.

Supertsar - is there any chance I could add your photo's? It would be great to show the vehicles in earlier times.

#27: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:02 pm
    ----
Many thanks Trevor, superstar, and Chris!

FYI, I am still looking for the following from this museum:

LVT4 USA std?
M2A3 light tank USA std? SN 312?, RN 30433
(Transferred from the U.S. Army Ordnance Museum at Aberdeen Proving Ground to the Marine Air-Ground Museum in 1961. One of four surviving M2 light tanks)
M3A1 Scout Car USA std?
M29 Weasel USA std?
Roebling Alligator 3 USA std?

Little surprised no one had pics of the King armored car? (besides the link I found) or the Roebling Alligator?

And can anyone identify the designation for this marginal terrain vehicle?

preservedtanks.com/Ima...hotoID=200

Neil

#28: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Mus Author: blackdog PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:10 pm
    ----
I'm going to guess one of the XM579 MTV's - 7 Prototypes Made - 2 Surviving

Here is the other one:

www.com-central.net/in...amp;t=2874

www.almc.army.mil/alog...6_69so.pdf

Design is referenced in the amphibious vehicles book that I previously posted.

#29: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:18 pm
    ----
Its close, but this appears to be the second XM759

preservedtanks.com/Ima...hotoID=200

I'm guessing the other one is an earlier prototype model?

Neil

#30: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Mus Author: blackdog PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:21 pm
    ----
Ah, I didn't realize that they were different ones (wasn't looking close enough). I'm going to guess that it is an earlier prototype. I was always under the impression that there were two surviving prototypes including the one at the Mechanized Museum but I had never even seen pictures of the ones that were rumored to have been at Quantico until now. So make that three surviving examples unless someone knows otherwise?

The funkier looking one definitely could be an earlier prototype, judging by the windshield shape on it compared to the one in these drawings.

-> AFV News Discussion Board