Visible differenences T-54/Type 59
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Visible differenences T-54/Type 59 Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:16 pm
    ----
Are there visible differences between T-54s and Type 59?

Below some pictures of T-54/Type 59s taken in Ho-Chi-Minh city.

#2: Re: Visible differenences T-54/Type 59 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:36 pm
    ----
I am by any means an expert, but I had always thought the major differences were the turret mounted troop rails / bustle rack and the 'wavy' pattern skirts of the Type 59 as an ID feature which aren't 'typical' to the T54.

Regards
Don

#3: Re: Visible differenences T-54/Type 59 Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:15 pm
    ----
First off, there is the T-54 Model 49, T-54A, T-54B, and the rare T-54X. They all have different features from turrets to engine decks to main gun barrels. The Type 59 is a copy of the T-54B with the exception of not having IR. The pics you've posted up are all T-54Bs. They all have the mountings for IR searchlights except one. That one is a T-54 because it has the fuel drums mounted on the back, another feature that the Type59 didn't have.

I am by any means an expert, but I had always thought the major differences were the turret mounted troop rails / bustle rack and the 'wavy' pattern skirts of the Type 59 as an ID feature which aren't 'typical' to the T54.

These were not added till the Type59D and that's a whole differnt animal. The Type 59D wasn't even built till the `90s.

#4: Re: Visible differenences T-54/Type 59 Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:28 am
    ----
Actually the nice clean lower glacis plate and IR means they are T-54(M) in other words T-54 reftrofitted with IR,

#5: Re: Visible differenences T-54/Type 59 Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:09 am
    ----
Actually the nice clean lower glacis plate and IR means they are T-54(M) in other words T-54 reftrofitted with IR,

Huh? All T54s when built had a "nice clean lower glacis plate". The mounting points for rollers and blades were added when they saw the need for them, like a MWO. That's not an ID feature for any version.

#6: Re: Visible differenences T-54/Type 59 Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:03 pm
    ----
You've been believing Wikepedia again haven't you? Wink

So as your an expert tell us the difference between a T-54 variant built with IR and one with it retrofitted?

#7: Re: Visible differenences T-54/Type 59 Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:12 pm
    ----
I'm not going to get in a pissing match with you. Having seen your site, I think it's you who are a diciple of the Wiki.

#8: Re: Visible differenences T-54/Type 59 Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:16 pm
    ----
Gentlemen, let's keep it civil.

Thank you.

#9: Re: Visible differenences T-54/Type 59 Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:49 pm
    ----
This is my T-59 page at PreservedTanks.com. It includes information on the distinguishing features. I'm not an expert on Soviet vehicles myself - that text will be from Jim Kinnear from when we worked on Preserved Soviet Tanks together:

Preserved T-59s

#10: Re: Visible differenences T-54/Type 59 Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:33 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

Thank you.

I am keeping it civil - its not my problem that he cannot recognise the significance of smileys particularly the Wink

And I asked a legitimate question (albeit a bit sarcastically for which I apologise)

#11: Re: Visible differenences T-54/Type 59 Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:49 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
- Doug_Kibbey

Thank you.

I am keeping it civil - its not my problem that he cannot recognise the significance of smileys particularly the Wink

And I asked a legitimate question (albeit a bit sarcastically for which I apologise)

Reign in that mount, trooper. No one was singled out, but it isn't difficult to recognize the tone that this was drifting toward. We have no obligation to allow it to go that way either.

Your apology is appreciated, I'm sure.

-> AFV News Discussion Board