Meaning of bumper number in film "Patton"?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Meaning of bumper number in film "Patton"? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:17 am
    ----
Watching "Patton" on the talking box the other night, I noticed for the first time that all three of the vehicles in the summoned Corps CO's entourage (you know the scene, dawn across the desert, siren screaming) to replace Fredenhall bore the bumper number (and a flag on Patton's lead vehicle, "WTF". What would this have meant in the context of that theatre of operations? I've seen speculation for "Weapons Task Force" or some variation thereof. Anyone know for sure?

Meaning in current contexts need not apply. Wink (yes, the phrase was used among VN folks, usually followed by "over", but I don't think the film makers had that in mind)

#2: Re: Meaning of bumper number in film "Patton"? Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:34 am
    ----
WESTERN TASK FORCE

#3: Re: Meaning of bumper number in film "Patton"? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:56 am
    ----
Thanks, Shawn.

#4: Re: Meaning of bumper number in film "Patton"? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:33 am
    ----
"Want To Fight?"
(would also apply in the context, knowing that Patton was a bit ill-tempered
Mr. Green )

P-O

#5: Re: Meaning of bumper number in film "Patton"? Author: binder001 PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:58 pm
    ----
As stated "Western Task Force". This was Patton's command during the Torch invasion - each invasion group had an indentity and Patton's was the Western Task Force. In the context of the movie and the theater of operations, the bumper codes (and I believe we see some other sign on the car or halftrack) represent Patton's reassignment from planning the invasion of Sicily to having to replace Lloyd Friedenthal at II Corps. In later scenes we see the II Corps insignia on the uniform of Patton and some of his staff.

#6: Re: Meaning of bumper number in film "Patton"? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:43 pm
    ----
- binder001
In later scenes we see the II Corps insignia on the uniform of Patton and some of his staff.

...and we see him using binoculars labeled "Japan" forward of the focus wheel at the battle of El Guettar. Wink

-> AFV News Discussion Board