Swamp Ghost
-> Officer's Club

#1: Swamp Ghost Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:52 pm
    ----
something of interest

www.philly.com/philly/..._B-17.html

#2: Re: Swamp Ghost Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:03 pm
    ----
Not sure what's going on but when I clicked on the link I got a Trojan Horse alert, my computer jammed up and then I found an infected folder in my Temp files once I got it going again.

Shocked

#3: Re: Swamp Ghost Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:57 pm
    ----
Strange...Loaded OK for me.

#4: Re: Swamp Ghost Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:45 pm
    ----
- original website
Around dawn on Feb. 23, 1942, the bomber, after taking off from Australia with a crew of nine, flew into heavy clouds amid an intense tropical storm over Rabaul, a Japanese-held port on New Britain island off the New Guinea coast.

Its mission: to bomb Japanese freighters in the harbor. But the bomb-release mechanism apparently wasn't working, said Glen E. Spieth, whose father piloted another plane on the mission.

As the pilot circled the target, looking for a clearing in the clouds, the bombardier, Richard Oliver, set up a salvo to unload the bombs on the next go-round, which he did, Spieth said.

"In the time it took to go around, they allowed the Japanese fighters to come around and intercept them," Spieth said.

During the next 30 to 40 minutes, Japanese Zeros swooped in and fired at the bomber. "I think there was a frontal attack once or twice," Spieth said. "They came in behind the tail" and strafed the right and left sides of the plane.

The bomber took 33 bullets in its fin, he said.

An antiaircraft shell shot through the plane's right wing from below. It was not clear if it later exploded, but crew members thought it did because they felt something explode above the wing and felt the plane bounce, Spieth said.

An antiaircraft shell also hit the left wing, he said.

The bomber escaped the attack and flew to New Guinea, where it was to refuel in Port Moresby, but the crew soon realized they didn't have enough fuel to climb over the 14,000-foot Owen Stanley Mountains, Spieth said.

Just in case... Wink

#5: Re: Swamp Ghost Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:24 pm
    ----
Not sure what's going on but when I clicked on the link I got a Trojan Horse alert, my computer jammed up and then I found an infected folder in my Temp files once I got it going again.

went back and retried it myself and nothing activated my antivirus and I then scanned my system and there was no sign of anything then I checked with spybot and nothing new or unusual in the way of spyware or malware had shown up. It's a real world newspapeer's website so I don't imagine it would originate there

#6: Re: Swamp Ghost Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:06 pm
    ----
I checked it today and the site works fine,

Last time I heard of this, the plane was locked up in storage and the Government revoked his permit. Glad it's all resolved now. Will be nice to see her flying again, if it's possible.

#7: Re: Swamp Ghost Author: NS38th_AristaeusLocation: Pensacola, FL. PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:24 am
    ----
There is a forum dedicated to this plane over at the pacificwrecks web site. Allot of older news on the recovery and ensueing legal battle to get it over to the U.S. which has lasted quite awhile.

#8: Re: Swamp Ghost Author: wheelsup_cavuLocation: Corona, California PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:48 am
    ----
She's officially back in the United States. Cool

- JaRink @ M4T
Source: www.mission4today.com/...amp;t=9721

Wire Services Report
LA Times story (with pictures!)

For anyone that hasn't seen pictures of it when they were getting it out of the swamp in PNG, it was/is remarkably intact. (Here are lots of photos from the recovery) Some of the paint was still intact and the recovery team discovered after pulling it out that the belly turret, while damaged, was actually there and possibly repairable. This would be the early remote turret, not the usual Sperry ball! AFAIK, this is the only B-17 that has the original remote turret.

Wheels

-> Officer's Club