Both DVD Drives not working.
-> Hardware

#1: Both DVD Drives not working. Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:09 am
    ----
I went to install some software on my wife's puter for my business and neither drive works. Both have power as the little green light flashes and you can hear the disc spinning. I checked Device Manager and it sees both drives but the box below says "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)". Says this for both drives. I tried uninstalling both drives and rebooting and I get the error message that the drivers failed to install. I open the case and checked the IDE cords and power all is fine there. I ran registry clean, cleaned up drive C and defragged. I downloaded new software for each but that would not install because the software could not find the device....Dang Murphy!!!!. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with updates to date. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated!

#2: Re: Both DVD Drives not working. Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:25 am
    ----
I found some software from MS of all places...lol.. that fixed the problem and it is FREE!!!!! The drive letters were missing it said and fixed the problem :).

Here it is: support.microsoft.com/...e_problems

#3: Re: Both DVD Drives not working. Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:16 pm
    ----
Interesting problem.
I presume they were both working fine before.
In which case I wonder if it was an update that knocked them out as well.

#4: Re: Both DVD Drives not working. Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:41 pm
    ----
Strangely enough, I had the sister in laws computer the other week because that had lost it's dvd and cd drives.

As it was XP I just used device manager to delete the drives and let windows find then again. Smile

#5: Re: Both DVD Drives not working. Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:44 pm
    ----
Shades, I had auto updates turned off so it wasn't an update thingy. I have no idea why they just disappeared. There really is no tell'n what Mrs Fixr did, downloaded or otherwise...lol.
Kit.. as you prolly read I tried uninstalling(deleting) both a couple times but that didn't work either. I guess 7 doesn't work like XP in that fact.

#6: Re: Both DVD Drives not working. Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:09 am
    ----
Ah, the little woman.
Don't suppose you've noticed the arrival of a new browser 'toolbar', that wasn't there before, have you?

-> Hardware