Interesting tanks in video
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Interesting tanks in video Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:50 am
    ----
Some interesting tanks in this video and I'm not talking about the Shermans with the yellow turret roofs....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WIveqTtbFE

#2: Re: Interesting tanks in video Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:30 am
    ----
I'm thinking they are crusaders. based on turret shape and the soldier with the beret. I wish the suspension was visible

#3: Re: Interesting tanks in video Author: ceolredmonger PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:20 am
    ----
Something just doesn't 'feel' right about the angles and details - could they be wooden mock up Crusaders used to try to disguise the location of the US forces?

Just a thought

Keith Matthews

#4: Re: Interesting tanks in video Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:31 pm
    ----
They could be crusaders Wink

Last edited by JimWeb on Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total

#5: Re: Interesting tanks in video Author: Ketten08 PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:29 pm
    ----
Hi Guys

I was thinking more along the lines of a Matilda looking at the hull shape, with a wooden mock up shell. Did they not have a round fuel drum attached at the rear, you can see one in the video.

As regards the turret, it looks like it has benn made to resemble a Cruiser Tank Mark VI (A15 Mark III, Crusader).

Regards

Richard

#6: Re: Interesting tanks in video Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:36 pm
    ----
I'd say Crusaders with sand shields and rear fuel drum:

#7: Re: Interesting tanks in video Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:10 pm
    ----
Any special significance to the colors (including the stars on the trucks)?

#8: Re: Interesting tanks in video Author: Buq-Buq PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:31 am
    ----
Early in the North African Campaign (early for the US, that is, i.e., Nov.-Dec. 1943 & the first several months of 1943) the standard American markings such as the stars and turret stripes were often painted in a yellow drab, instead of white. This yellow drab gave way to white marking later in Tunisia, and into Sicily & Italy. Why yellow? Who knows?

The yellow painted turret top on the Sherman is similar to the white turret top seen on the M4A1 Sherman (page 35) in Steve Zaloga's US Tank Battles in North Africa and Italy 1943-45. The artwork in the book depicts a tank of the US 2nd Armored Division, circa 1943 in Oran, Algeria.

My vote for the other entrained [British] tanks is Crusader III . . . the British 6th Armoured Division used them in Tunisia, generally painted overall dark green. The turret hatch is specific to the Mk III version mounting the 6 pdr. gun.

Mark

#9: Re: Interesting tanks in video Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:45 am
    ----
Thanks, Mark....news to me.

#10: Re: Interesting tanks in video Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:24 am
    ----
Okay that thread terminated sooner than I expected - another mystery tomorrow!

-> AFV News Discussion Board